OT - What 9mm ammo should I use

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I am a recent 9 mm convert

Been a die hard .45 my whole life but have come around to the fact that I am, at this point, wrong

I'm thinking federal HST?

125?

Obviously I'm leaning towards +P.

Because I'm a man.

But Mark was telling me that research shows the regular velocity is just as effective and you get a faster follow-up shot with the "standard" loading. Because science.

Idunno

But I need to order a few hundred rounds of something to get comfortable with it and confirm that it runs in my 2011 reliably.

What should I get?

I would try Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot and see which your gun likes best. I shoot the 124 grain.

I like the perfomance of the Gold Dot slightly better, but some of my guns shoot the HST better. The perfomance is close enough I shoot whichever groups best in a particular gun.

If you want another option Underwood ammo has impressed me with 357 magnum and 44 magnum ammo, though I haven't shot enough of their 9mm ammo to judge it yet it groups pretty nicely.

Edit: I shoot the standard not the +P in most of my guns. But have a couple that group better with +P. I wouldn't feel under powered at all with the standard loads.

Gold Dots, HSTs, and Ranger Ts are the best performing ammo out there right now. It’s what I trust my life to. 124gr is plenty of weight, though I carry 147gr in some of my defensive guns. +P isn’t really needed, you may get better expansion out of your round, at the sacrifice of penetration. Standard load is perfectly fine, but personally wouldn’t go with bullet weight any lighter than 124gr.

Hey this is a good thread... and I need some 9mm too, where do you guys recommend buying from?

Maaaannnn

The other day some asshole on Instagram called me a fud

I was like, I ain't no damn fud

And then I looked it up

Man screw that guy. It was a lucky guess he didn't know.

Hey this is a good thread... and I need some 9mm too, where do you guys recommend buying from?
Mark, a lot of folks use ammoseek.
You can enter a caliber and filter words such as "hollow point" etc, then it will list tons of options starting with the cheapest. You can look for familiar brands and at the reviews and hopefully find the deal you're looking for.

FWIW, a .45 is combat proven to stop someone. 9 mm are great for high capacity but a person using recreational drugs ie. PCP will be unfazed after you empty your 14 round magazine. Maybe Blues Blues can chime in with some real world experience.

Winchester Silvertip was my goto for 9mm but that was 30+ years ago and I'm sure there's better tech for stopping power.

I’ve read and heard a lot of good things about frangible 9mm & 5.56 for that matter. I haven’t tried any out but for self defense and close quarters it’s worth checking out.

The general thought is the bullet dumps the full energy load on contact and the bullet disintegrates into dust as a result. But that full engery transfer is what will stop some one in their tracks.

Been a die hard .45 my whole life but have come around to the fact that I am, at this point, wrong

125?

Because I'm a man.

But Mark was telling me that research shows the regular velocity is just as effective and you get a faster follow-up shot with the "standard" loading. Because science.

Idunno

But I need to order a few hundred rounds of something to get comfortable with it and confirm that it runs in my 2011 reliably.

What should I get?
Fed HST 124 gr is a great round according to all sources, but it is a bit snappy for my CCW pistol. I am still on the prowl for an SD round that mimics the 115 gr FMJ military ammunition I tend to practice with.

I'll be watching this space eagerly.

Zieg

I’ve read and heard a lot of good things about frangible 9mm & 5.56 for that matter. I haven’t tried any out but for self defense and close quarters it’s worth checking out.

The general thought is the bullet dumps the full energy load on contact and the bullet disintegrates into dust as a result. But that full engery transfer is what will stop some one in their tracks.

I used to have an acquaintance who used to load Glaser Safety Slugs under contract before they were legislated out of business due to being "cop killer" ammo. I'm surprised that they're available now after a Google search. Copper jacket around pellets that wouldn't penetrate walls but would fragment once it entered soft tissue. Less chance of collateral damage.

125?

Because I'm a man.

Idunno

What should I get?

Budget question, too. Biggest bang for the Buck, no pun intended:

1698614163268.jpeg

Price matters IMHO so you can train/plink with what you need in an emergency.

(92FS, M9, S&W 929)

Last edited:
Back