OT - What 9mm ammo should I use

I forgot SGammo, I love the way they operate, simple to do business with, they have it or they don’t.

The beauty of having a nice stockpile of ammo is you are insulated from panic buying. I haven’t “needed” ammo since before Obama was elected. When we moved to Florida I maxed out the weight limit on one of our Pods with ammo and reloading supplies. Better investment than gold.
I have quite an ammo fort myself, enough for my family to train with and to arm the neighborhood if I need to. Ammo is a great bartering tool as well.

I am a recent 9 mm convert

Been a die hard .45 my whole life but have come around to the fact that I am, at this point, wrong

I'm thinking federal HST?

125?

Obviously I'm leaning towards +P.

Because I'm a man.

But Mark was telling me that research shows the regular velocity is just as effective and you get a faster follow-up shot with the "standard" loading. Because science.

Idunno

But I need to order a few hundred rounds of something to get comfortable with it and confirm that it runs in my 2011 reliably.

What should I get?
I really love 24gr HST. It’s got some awesome expansion and doesn’t seem too overpowered. My CCW magazine is 1/3 HST for the expansion and then I put some sort of +P/+P+ barrier-blind round in (currently Hornady Critical Duty). I know a lot of people discourage mixing rounds in a magazine. But my theory is that while I don’t want the over penetration generally, if I haven’t fixed the issue in the first five rounds I want to bump up to something that stands a chance at getting through something resilient like laminated glass. Though admittedly my philosophy might be a bit over-influenced by my background…

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist
Paul Harrell does a review of federal hst and its expansion (video below).

This second video is a really good comparison video that shows several rounds being shot through heavy clothes into ballistic gelatin. At the end he compares expansion of the rounds to how they expanded when shot into bare ballistic gelatin.

Hope that helps.

Personally I'm a fan of hornady critical defense and critical duty.

Last edited:
Imo Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger T's are probably the best hollow point/self defense ammo on the market that is readily available for purchase ...I myself run the 200grain Federal HST in my Glock 20 10mm !...but before the HST's came out I wholeheartedly recommended the Winchester Ranger T's and the Speer Gold Dot ammo ! ...
If I remember correctly the 125 grain Gold Dot coming out of a 4 inch barrel of a 357magnum has the most real world one shot stops then any other caliber and ammo combination out there !...but if I was you Nathan I'd buy a box or two of each of the hollow point ammo mentioned above along with a few others and see which ammo your firearm prefers to fire without any hiccups!
Because some of firearms out there can be choosey on which ammo will feed properly in the magazine sometimes due to the shape of the bullet itself or because the feedramp is out of spec or what have you so imo your best bet is like I stated above buy a few boxes of each brand of ammo and see which one feeds and fires the best out of your handgun !...

Frank Cervantes AKA NMFrank87

I figured now is a pretty good time to buy ammo. We're coming off the end of some shortages and I feel like we might be coming into some shortages in the future

Although I usually time things completely wrong so, y'all should probably do the exact opposite of what I do

HPG are nice bags, I've got same one but I dont put my pistol in a holster then inside the bag. A holster inside the bag would just be something to slow me down if I need the get the pistol out quickly. I do see how you have yours rigged with the paracord to pull it out but still I'd fumble with it.

HPG are nice bags, I've got same one but I dont put my pistol in a holster then inside the bag. A holster inside the bag would just be something to slow me down if I need the get the pistol out quickly.
Notice the drawstring attached to the holster. When I draw, it’s just the gun and the holster stays tethered inside the chest pack.

My old Eagle fanny packs from way back in the day had retention for the holsters as well. When I've needed to do something impromptu with other equipment, I did the same on my own.

Embarrassing if you ever have to point a holster at someone... :rolleyes:

Back