OT - What 9mm ammo should I use

Man this has been a great thread. I am in the middle of shopping for a new 9mm currently… anyone here happen to have any experience with the cz 75 sp-01? Planning on a range visit hoping to try one out in the morning… Wanting a nice full size and they’re at about the top end of what I’d like to spend. Looks like a nice option so far. At least I know solid ammo options now

Last edited:
Man this has been a great thread. I am in the middle of shopping for a new 9mm currently… anyone here happen to have any experience with the cz 75 so-01? Planning on a range visit hoping to try one out in the morning… Wanting a nice full size and they’re at about the top end of what I’d like to spend. Looks like a nice option so far. At least I know solid ammo options now
I think 91bravo 91bravo has a cz, maybe two?

Man this has been a great thread. I am in the middle of shopping for a new 9mm currently… anyone here happen to have any experience with the cz 75 so-01? Planning on a range visit hoping to try one out in the morning… Wanting a nice full size and they’re at about the top end of what I’d like to spend. Looks like a nice option so far. At least I know solid ammo options now
I love my 1911s and Sigs and I have even found a Gen 5 Glock that I really like and shoots very well, but my CZs are without question the most ergonomical pistols I've ever handled. I have a CZ PCR ... CZ P-01 ... CZ SP-01 ... and a Shadow 2 ... they are all tack drivers and have pretty good stock triggers with a bit of travel in them, but with a Cajun Gun Works kit they are a dream to shoot.

I only have CZs steel frame hammer fired pistols none of their polymer striker fried guns.

I love my 1911s and Sigs and I have even found a Gen 5 Glock that I really like and shoots very well, but my CZs are without question the most ergonomical pistols I've ever handled. I have a CZ PCR ... CZ P-01 ... CZ SP-01 ... and a Shadow 2 ... they are all tack drivers and have pretty good stock triggers with a bit of travel in them, but with a Cajun Gun Works kit they are a dream to shoot.

I only have CZs steel frame hammer fired pistols none of their polymer striker fried guns.

Awesome! Yeah that seems to line up with everything I’ve heard and read on em. Really looking forward to trying one out!!

Awesome! Yeah that seems to line up with everything I’ve heard and read on em. Really looking forward to trying one out!!
I will be surprised if you don't enjoy shooting them. The PCR I have is an lighter alloy version of the 75 Compact and has a decocker instead of a manual safety, but all of their metal frame hammer fired pistols that I've shot were really nice. The SP-01 (Shadow 1) and Shadow 2 are full sized guns, but definitely are a pleasure to shoot and as accurate as the shooter.

The one drawback for some people is the weight. It tames recoil and lets you stay on target and be fast with follow up shots, but some people won't carry them for the weight. A good gun belt and a good holster and I've never had any issue, but I'm a good sized guy. That said they are hard to beat for shooting.

I will be surprised if you don't enjoy shooting them. The PCR I have is an lighter alloy version of the 75 Compact and has a decocker instead of a manual safety, but all of their metal frame hammer fired pistols that I've shot were really nice. The SP-01 (Shadow 1) and Shadow 2 are full sized guns, but definitely are a pleasure to shoot and as accurate as the shooter.

The one drawback for some people is the weight. It tames recoil and lets you stay on target and be fast with follow up shots, but some people won't carry them for the weight. A good gun belt and a good holster and I've never had any issue, but I'm a good sized guy. That said they are hard to beat for shooting.

Yeah I’m in CA so pretty limited all I can get is the manual safety version. This will be for fun at the range primarily, defense etc so I’m totally fine with the weight with light recoil. Keep hearing nothing but good aside from your same points… think I might have a winner! Thanks for the input jj!

Edit: I was actually way wrong on ca compliance here. Tactical model w/o manual safety is ok

Last edited:
Man this has been a great thread. I am in the middle of shopping for a new 9mm currently… anyone here happen to have any experience with the cz 75 sp-01? Planning on a range visit hoping to try one out in the morning… Wanting a nice full size and they’re at about the top end of what I’d like to spend. Looks like a nice option so far. At least I know solid ammo options now
I have a 75 SP01. Most that that shoot it, shoot it better than their own gun! It is an amazing handgun all around.

E13D1440-D271-4A33-821B-DA57C76851DC.jpeg

Attachments

• 1184555A-FB5C-4CE3-A25C-0379880FC35D.jpeg
    1184555A-FB5C-4CE3-A25C-0379880FC35D.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1
Today I'm trying out these 100gr little pink pills at the range. The LC9 is not a difficult pistol to control, but double taps really are not an option with common ammunition. It is not like shooting .38 wadcutters out of a GP100! I'll report back here later today.

AzNu5R8.jpeg

562hF2Y.jpeg

Here is one side by side with a Winchester 124gr JHP round. With such a shorter profile it will be interesting to see whether it feeds reliably.

(Bonus points for a Buck 110 cameo?)

Zieg
My short reply regarding the Hornady Critical Defense Lite: In my compact pistol the recoil feels almost exactly like any other, standard power, 115gr 9mm round, JHP or FMJ. They did not feed consistently, most likely due to the reduced OAL of the the round; about every fifth round failed to feed. All rounds detonated well, all rounds were accurate, and all rounds ejected reliably. There was the slightest, and I mean almost imperceptible, reduction in felt recoil, but as Paul Harrell would say, it was not enough difference to make a difference. If you mixed the rounds up in a magazine and handed it to me, I cannot say I would have been able to discern it. As I was shooting on my own, though, I could not pursue the experiment. As it stands, the FTF means I will not be going back to this round.

I like revolvers with moon clips, though, so if I had a Ruger LCR in 9mm, I might use these rounds there if I could be convinced I were actually feeling a reduction in recoil. If they work in your gun, if you can perceive a reduction in recoil (even if only imagined), I suspect they will do well for you. Everyone's mileage will vary, of course.

(My cynical view is that these rounds were engineered to show a microscopic reduction in recoil in a Ransom rest and marketed to women who are new shooters and also not likely to practice very often and think they need a special round. Any 9mm shooter, male or female, old or young, who practices once or twice a month, and gets even a modicum of training, will not need anything special beyond a standard 115gr. If such a round were too much for them, .380ACP would be the better solution.)

Good luck!

Zieg

Last edited:
I agree with this. Also penetration is King if you buy into the whole 9mm thing.
Make them bleed out of 2 holes, instead of one for every shot.
(The whole argument for 9mm is light shooting, easy to place extra rounds. Extra capacity) so Use it..... 3 shots is six Holes. Vs 1-2 holes of .45acp

Don't go for weird, custom, frangible loads, or Super Hot Loads published in the latest, and greatest reloading publications..... Use what the cops use!!!

Not because it's better, but in the court of law, you won't look like a murdering sniper sicko, bent on killing people and acting as a viligante.... Because you were the same as our hero's the Police.....and did/used what They do.

Our prosecutors are corrupt as F, here.....
No laws.

Work what you can!

This is was I was told in my Concealed Carry Class as well.

I’m real happy with all 3 of my CZ Custom Shop pistols: Pro Tec (PCR), SDP (P-01), and Accu Shadow (SP-01).
I’m also a fan of Hornaday Self Defense.
My vision isn’t getting any better so I’m looking into red dot sights for all 3, leaning towards Holosun EPS Carry.

Cz 75 sp01 inbound to my ffl dealer… handled a sig226 which stole my heart but found a killer deal on gunbroker for the cz! Couldn’t justify spending 2x on the sig.. yet lol… starting out with cheaper fmj rounds for the range but def gna try some of what was mentioned here to see what feels best. Sounds like overall hst and gold dots have the most votes… I feel like what I can get the best deal on is going to be the deciding factor for me

Back