OT - What 9mm ammo should I use

Another vote for 124 gr HST
proxy-image

proxy-image

124- or 147-gr. standard pressure HST.

The thing about +P is that for most major factory brands, it's really only a smidge hotter than the standard pressure, and testing indicates similar performance. The +P often expands a tiny bit more and penetrates a tiny bit less, but for the most part it's within the margin of error of each other.

Don't get frangible ammo or nontraditional weird loads. HST, Ranger, and Gold Dot are the most common law enforcement loads and have the most documented effective shooting results.

Federal HST 147 gr Standard is my regular carry. When I swap rounds occasionally, I go with HST or Gold Dot in 124 +P. (The 124 standard is also adequate according to Doc Roberts' analysis.) I have discussed these rounds with him.

Can't really go wrong with either...see which one your gun likes best. I tested with my Glocks and the 147 standard came out ahead.

I am a recent 9 mm convert

Been a die hard .45 my whole life but have come around to the fact that I am, at this point, wrong

I'm thinking federal HST?

125?

Obviously I'm leaning towards +P.

Because I'm a man.

But Mark was telling me that research shows the regular velocity is just as effective and you get a faster follow-up shot with the "standard" loading. Because science.

Idunno

But I need to order a few hundred rounds of something to get comfortable with it and confirm that it runs in my 2011 reliably.

What should I get?
UNDERWOOD 💯

I need one of your knives in Magnacut please 😆 for real!

124- or 147-gr. standard pressure HST.

The thing about +P is that for most major factory brands, it's really only a smidge hotter than the standard pressure, and testing indicates similar performance. The +P often expands a tiny bit more and penetrates a tiny bit less, but for the most part it's within the margin of error of each other.

Don't get frangible ammo or nontraditional weird loads. HST, Ranger, and Gold Dot are the most common law enforcement loads and have the most documented effective shooting results.

I agree with this. Also penetration is King if you buy into the whole 9mm thing.
Make them bleed out of 2 holes, instead of one for every shot.
(The whole argument for 9mm is light shooting, easy to place extra rounds. Extra capacity) so Use it..... 3 shots is six Holes. Vs 1-2 holes of .45acp

Don't go for weird, custom, frangible loads, or Super Hot Loads published in the latest, and greatest reloading publications..... Use what the cops use!!!

Not because it's better, but in the court of law, you won't look like a murdering sniper sicko, bent on killing people and acting as a viligante.... Because you were the same as our hero's the Police.....and did/used what They do.

Our prosecutors are corrupt as F, here.....
No laws.

Work what you can!

Critical Duty is a great round (FBI issued +P) as well as Critical Defense. The FBI tests and others has really shown a huge improvement of 9mm ammo and performance over the years. Personally I think there is quite a bit of great ammo, but I only carry flex tip for defensive loads after reading reports of standard HP performance on thick winter clothing/coats. What groups well and feeds reliably won’t necessarily be the same for every gun, so I advise folks to shoot some of a few and then stick with it.

As usual I am late to the show and can’t add much that wouldn’t be redundant 😁

I’m a 45 guy at heart but there has been so much worldwide R&D and real world data on the 9mm we’d be foolish to not take advantage of it.

My favorite 1911 is a full custom 9mm bobtail commander that was converted from a standard Government 45 by Mark at Benchmark Precision.

My very general opinion and experience is that a bullets ability to do its job is a combination of weight and velocity, heavier bullets moving slower do similar damage to lighter bullets moving faster, it’s all about energy transfer at impact. Expansion, wound path, penetration all of that is gravy for us nerds who like to pontificate.

With that in mind round count is the next most important thing and you simply get more with 9mm.

As for weight, IMO it’s splitting hairs on the differences. Generally speaking though a lighter bullet is going to have a little more recoil than a heavier one fired from the same pistol. Not as noticeable in a standard frame but in the sub compact frames I’ve seen it make a huge difference for people.

Mark is right on the +p’s.

You can’t go wrong with most of the rounds mentioned here, I am a big fan of Gold Dots, Critical Defense and I would also add a few other good quality brands that use the expansion ball. It’s the new kid on the block but plenty of evidence supporting the benefits, which is why more companies are offering options.

I am a bulk ammo buyer and have had good luck with Ammoman, Luckygunner and bulkammo (.com’s).

As usual I am late to the show and can’t add much that wouldn’t be redundant 😁

I’m a 45 guy at heart but there has been so much worldwide R&D and real world data on the 9mm we’d be foolish to not take advantage of it.

My favorite 1911 is a full custom 9mm bobtail commander that was converted from a standard Government 45 by Mark at Benchmark Precision.

My very general opinion and experience is that a bullets ability to do its job is a combination of weight and velocity, heavier bullets moving slower do similar damage to lighter bullets moving faster, it’s all about energy transfer at impact. Expansion, wound path, penetration all of that is gravy for us nerds who like to pontificate.

With that in mind round count is the next most important thing and you simply get more with 9mm.

As for weight, IMO it’s splitting hairs on the differences. Generally speaking though a lighter bullet is going to have a little more recoil than a heavier one fired from the same pistol. Not as noticeable in a standard frame but in the sub compact frames I’ve seen it make a huge difference for people.

Mark is right on the +p’s.

You can’t go wrong with most of the rounds mentioned here, I am a big fan of Gold Dots, Critical Defense and I would also add a few other good quality brands that use the expansion ball. It’s the new kid on the block but plenty of evidence supporting the benefits, which is why more companies are offering options.

I am a bulk ammo buyer and have had good luck with Ammoman, Luckygunner and bulkammo (.com’s).
I’ve bought thousands of rounds of 9mm ball from Buckinghorseoutpost and SGammo. There’s somewhat of an ammo panic currently as well. Mostly on 5.56/.223, but other calibers are drying up or skyrocketing in price.

I’ve bought thousands of rounds of 9mm ball from Buckinghorseoutpost and SGammo. There’s somewhat of an ammo panic currently as well. Mostly on 5.56/.223, but other calibers are drying up or skyrocketing in price.
I forgot SGammo, I love the way they operate, simple to do business with, they have it or they don’t.

The beauty of having a nice stockpile of ammo is you are insulated from panic buying. I haven’t “needed” ammo since before Obama was elected. When we moved to Florida I maxed out the weight limit on one of our Pods with ammo and reloading supplies. Better investment than gold.

Back