Our "Front Porch" ....

I'm not too far from Nashville...any of you land a recording contract or are in the area for some studio time give me shout...beverages of your choice consumed.

Great city. I was there for a week about 2 years ago and as a musician I got very intimidated. Every corner busker, hotel bar musician, paddleboat tour crooner was a frickin' unbelieveable singer-songwriter!!! The jazz band in the hotel I stayed in should have been awarded a grammy. Seriously...

No worries on the basement photo. I assumed with all the unkept wiring it might not be yours.:)

Exactly!!! He's got power cords and speaker cables running parallel and no cable risers!!!!!! Sheesh!:rolleyes:

One thing that always bugged me was investing so much (time and money) in the equipment and installation to then see wires everywhere. Bugged me especially in mobile audio.

Home stuff--I try to go in-wall if possible and drill holes oversized and leave things set so wires can be replaced / upgraded over time.

That's why ya' get "Pretty" Cables ;)
20130110_135133.jpg

I'd still try to hide those badazz cables, but leaving them out to view sure does no harm.

I'd still try to hide those badazz cables, but leaving them out to view sure does no harm.

Really funny, but that is a particular quirk of mine, and I hide all the cables and cords in my house that I can, inside walls or cable concealers. At minimum, it keeps the animals from chewing them.

Really funny, but that is a particular quirk of mine, and I hide all the cables and cords in my house that I can, inside walls or cable concealers. At minimum, it keeps the animals from chewing them.

And prevents me from chewing on my cables when the stress takes over...:D

Yummy yummy....ZAP!

Another serious Audiophile! Mention Cardas and my ears go up like my chihuahua's!!!

I really appreciate the Sennheiser/Cardas relationship. The Sen. driver plugs on the Cardas harness are pretty special. "Grado" makes a nice short 1/4" to 1/8" plug adapter (cable) so I can even use my 600's on my Mac for streaming music & videos etc.
I'm not into audio as I once was, but I loved the whole speaker/interconnect cable end of sonic tweaking. (& yes - displaying the cables IS pretty cool!)

Just as a point of interest, check out "HeadAmp" headphone amps & power supplies for home & portable. I have an old "Gilmore Lite" model that is not going anywhere any time soon. ;)
B.

Somebody mentioned Cardas Audio (George) I have a couple of his interconnects (on back of the Levinson)
They like each other :)
20130110_163219.jpg

Somebody mentioned Cardas Audio (George) I have a couple of his interconnects (on back of the Levinson)
They like each other :)
20130110_163219.jpg

Oh yeah....that's the good stuff!!!!!! Nice digital IC too!!!! I still run Cardas from my turntable to my phono section and used to run all Golden Ref ICs and SCs until I went to low power SET! I switched to Virtual Dynamics Master Series SCs and Shunyata Aries ICs because they were highly recommended by an audio guru friend of mine for low powered small signal transmission. Opened up my system quite a bit with more air and those subtle details that make everything more real and palpable. I'm probably pushing 3-4 watts per channel at normal listening levels and 5-6 when I crank it up!

So important to spend the time finding the right mix - Magic. LOved the Low Watt Tube amp sounds, Human voice, instrumentals.....Warm, open Beautiful in the dark.

Just as a point of interest, check out "HeadAmp" headphone amps & power supplies for home & portable. I have an old "Gilmore Lite" model that is not going anywhere any time soon. ;)
B.

I'm familiar with that line. I checked them out and saw all the great reviews but in end went with something very portable which I recommend highly. Leckerton Audio UHA-6S portable amp/DAC. This goes with me when I travel anywhere for an extended period of time so I can have high quality sound when I'm away and through my iPod!!! Heavenly combo with the 580s. Highly recommended!!!! Along with a 3" XM-18, of course!!!

Last edited:
So important to spend the time finding the right mix - Magic. LOved the Low Watt Tube amp sounds, Human voice, instrumentals.....Warm, open Beautiful in the dark.

I have a thing for solo cello recordings, female crooners and small jazz trios. That's the SET's strength! And to hear Neil Young just singing solo and playing guitar transports you to the front row! The Klipsch Forte IIs, while not what many would call "high end" when tweaked with high quality crossovers and judicioiusly applied horn-dampening, sound incredible. And they go DEEEEP with those 12 inch woofers and a 15" passive radiator! Find some on craigslist for $500 and DIY the upgrades and sell the Veritys! 99dB/W/m!!!! Fun stuff!

I have a thing for solo cello recordings,.....
Try to find a copy of Paul Tortelier's Bach cello suites on vinyl. (EMI)
The spacial ambience of the recording site is a luscious back for the pieces & his tone is exquisite, especially if you have a good MM cartridge. I swear I can hear the rosin on his bow.(well - you know what I mean - ;) )
My father used to play(practice) the Bach violin partitas/sonatas for solo violin at home when I was a kid & my appreciation for tone & nuance is something embedded from a lot of that I think.
I subscribed to the Toronto Symphony & Artist Series for a number of years some time ago. From those experiences I came to appreciate the term "liquid strings". A high end audio system can be judged on it's ability to reproduce FAITHFULLY that aspect of a symphony concert IMO.
There is nothing in this world that moves me emotionally like a selective top notch symphony performance.
B.

Try to find a copy of Paul Tortelier's Bach cello suites on vinyl. (EMI)
The spacial ambience of the recording site is a luscious back for the pieces & his tone is exquisite, especially if you have a good MM cartridge. I swear I can hear the rosin on his bow.(well - you know what I mean - ;) )
My father used to play(practice) the Bach violin partitas/sonatas for solo violin at home when I was a kid & my appreciation for tone & nuance is something embedded from a lot of that I think.
I subscribed to the Toronto Symphony & Artist Series for a number of years some time ago. From those experiences I came to appreciate the term "liquid strings". A high end audio system can be judged on it's ability to reproduce FAITHFULLY that aspect of a symphony concert IMO.
There is nothing in this world that moves me emotionally like a selective top notch symphony performance.
B.

Thanks for the recommendation B. I will look for a good copy. I do have a good MM cart - Cartdrigeman Music Maker III. I too grew up surrounded by classical music. My sister and I both play violin. I play gypsy jazz now and love improvisational jamming while she went to Juilliard and teaches violin in Boston... I regret that I did not learn the cello but I plan that for my retirement.

Thanks for the recommendation B. I will look for a good copy. I do have a good MM cart - Cartdrigeman Music Maker III. I too grew up surrounded by classical music. My sister and I both play violin. I play gypsy jazz now and love improvisational jamming while she went to Juilliard and teaches violin in Boston... I regret that I did not learn the cello but I plan that for my retirement.

You being such a fan of cello may find this story a tad interesting. I saw YoYo Ma play in a sonata setting in Toronto many years ago & after the concert I went to say hi with a couple of luthiers I met there. The 3 of us talked to him about his Strad cello, The "Davidov" (or "Davidoff" if you prefer) which belonged to Jacqueline du Pre before she passed. Being a bass guitar player myself, I actually got to pluck a string on it as you would play a pizzicato note on a double bass. How many can say they've "played" a Stradivarius. :D
True story.
B.

You being such a fan of cello may find this story a tad interesting. I saw YoYo Ma play in a sonata setting in Toronto many years ago & after the concert I went to say hi with a couple of luthiers I met there. The 3 of us talked to him about his Strad cello, The "Davidov" (or "Davidoff" if you prefer) which belonged to Jacqueline du Pre before she passed. Being a bass guitar player myself, I actually got to pluck a string on it as you would play a pizzicato note on a double bass. How many can say they've "played" a Stradivarius. :D
True story.
B.

Who can say that they played YoYo Ma and Jacqueline du Pre's cello? My GOD MAN!!!!! You have touched a gift of the Gods...

Who can say that they played YoYo Ma and Jacqueline du Pre's cello? My GOD MAN!!!!! You have touched a gift of the Gods...

The impact of your observation is probably lost on most of the brothers & sisters here but I suppose it would be akin to Rick Hinderer having the occasion to take a sword in hand from a battle in the period of the knights of the round table or an ancient Japanese blade used by a warrior in battle. These weapons are the standard. One must have a reference of the absolute which is implied, just as only an audiophile can appreciate the perfection implied in an absolute music reproduction system.
This particular cello was not much eye candy so to speak. It showed the years. The true value lay in it's resonance & projection.
It is among those that are considered the MOST valued in all of human artifact, regardless of purpose. That's pretty impressive to me.
B.

Back