Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

That's cool, a Sergeant Major is the most frightening thing an enlisted man could deal with, the only thing worse is a Command Sergeant Major! They can make time stand still for a ten mile radius.

I have a few coins that I got in the Army, my favorite is one from a 2 star General. I got stuck in the Brigade Color guard and after a huge dog and pony show the brass thought they would interrogate I mean, talk to the Color guard. I made the fatal error of answering a question about the ceremony honestly and with a shit eating grin he threw me a coin and said, "Any Corporal dumb enough to cuss in front of us deserves a coin". The milliseconds that preceded that were filled with full body language death threats from my entire Command. That coin flip was a lifesaver lol.

His name was Cash, hence the dollar sign on the coin.
View attachment 2459513View attachment 2459512
Years ago I was delivering a Thunderbird to a couple in San Antonio. When I got there I found out that she was a colonel in the Air Force and he was Sergeant Major of the army. I asked which of them got the most respect and she said "generals salute him".
I guess I should have asked which of their challenge coins carried the most weight.
Great stories guys! John, I had an uncle that was in the Navy in WW2. He fought in those Aleutian land battles. Had a couple cool old Ariskas he’d picked up. Josh just out of AIT went to Korea as an IT guy, for a year. This was while he was still in the Big Army. Got a call that the 2 star general’s printer wasn’t working. Went on over and fixed things up for the General. He never did tell him it just wasn’t plugged in. Josh is a man of wisdom and tact!

Oh no! I'll see if I have another but I think I sent them all out.. I have a matching one that I broke pulling out of the dishwasher, it's been spending life as a pencil holder in the shop.

Oh no! I'll see if I have another but I think I sent them all out.. I have a matching one that I broke pulling out of the dishwasher, it's been spending life as a pencil holder in the shop.

If you happen to have the itch to have another run made up, I'd definitely be in for a couple. I had to stop using my current one (for beverages anyway). There is a coating of some sort that started breaking up and flaking into my coffee.

If you happen to have the itch to have another run made up, I'd definitely be in for a couple. I had to stop using my current one (for beverages anyway). There is a coating of some sort that started breaking up and flaking into my coffee.
Was gonna say I'd be in for one too, but after reading the last sentence, not so sure :oops:

Well damn that's not good, I hate to hear that. Better move all those mugs to the pencil holder category! No plans on doing more of those, especially not after hearing that.

Sorry, fellas. I didn't mean for that to be a bummer. It's entirely possible that mine is a one-off. Cat is out of the bag at this point so I'll elaborate a bit: It appears to be a thin protective lacquer that might have been applied after the logo was printed. Either there was a surface ding that prompted the lacquer to started breaking down or my relatively hard water may have been a factor. It started on the outside and wasn't a big deal until it started flaking off inside.

John, I'm not sure where you sourced these but I wouldn't let my weird experience influence future efforts in this regard. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Sorry, fellas. I didn't mean for that to be a bummer. It's entirely possible that mine is a one-off. Cat is out of the bag at this point so I'll elaborate a bit: It appears to be a thin protective lacquer that might have been applied after the logo was printed. Either there was a surface ding that prompted the lacquer to started breaking down or my relatively hard water may have been a factor. It started on the outside and wasn't a big deal until it started flaking off inside.

John, I'm not sure where you sourced these but I wouldn't let my weird experience influence future efforts in this regard. I shouldn't have mentioned it.
I'm glad you mentioned it, that's nothin I'd want to be ingesting! They were done with sublimation(?) not sure how that process works but it sounds like it might need to be reserved to non-food products in the future.

I'm glad you mentioned it, that's nothin I'd want to be ingesting! They were done with sublimation(?) not sure how that process works but it sounds like it might need to be reserved to non-food products in the future.

I just looked at sublimation printing. It only works on articles that have a polyester or polymer substrate . In order to do this kind of printing on a ceramic mug, for example, it needs a coating that is suitable for sublimation. Mugs, therefore, require a polymer coating to be applied before printing.

It sounds like, for whatever reason, the coating on my mug decided to break down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Giveaway chance Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives ! Not many people doing things like that without having to share on 6 social media accounts and spaming all you friends accounts. Congrats to the winner!

Thanks for the Giveaway chance Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives ! Not many people doing things like that without having to share on 6 social media accounts and spaming all you friends accounts. Congrats to the winner!
Wait, did you miss the part where you were supposed to tag 6 friends, repost, share, subscribe, retweet, start a thread, post a photo of what you'd cut with the knife, a reason why you want it, call your uncle and write Redmeadow on your forehead while standing on your head ringing a cowbell? I'm gonna have to be more clear about the rules next time!!! 😆

I get annoyed when I hear things like share and subscribe, like this post, hit the notification bell, tag your friends, make sure this, remember that. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint but it comes off as disingenuous and just isn't my thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Redmeadow mentioned somewhere or getting tagged in a post. My favorite thing is getting a message when people say hey I randomly saw your work somewhere and want to know more, that's genuine.

I'm horrible about getting gifts but I love giving them away, I'm like the granny that wants to send you home with a plate of food every time you come over🤣 I'd give away every knife I made if they didn't cost me anything to make.

Second definition of dingus applies when we don’t understand what we are supposed to do. :) Just kidding. I think of a deer in the headlights kind of thing. Or like when I try to think which direction my knife faces before reinserting it in a sheath.

I just looked at sublimation printing. It only works on articles that have a polyester or polymer substrate . In order to do this kind of printing on a ceramic mug, for example, it needs a coating that is suitable for sublimation. Mugs, therefore, require a polymer coating to be applied before printing.

It sounds like, for whatever reason, the coating on my mug decided to break down.
Are there other methods of printing on a ceramic mug? I've got lots of different ones up in the cupboard, different ranches, companies etc. I don't recall any with a flaking or broken down coating. Course I never looked for it either till now but still not seeing any.

Are there other methods of printing on a ceramic mug? I've got lots of different ones up in the cupboard, different ranches, companies etc. I don't recall any with a flaking or broken down coating. Course I never looked for it either till now but still not seeing any.

Not sure how that all works but I'll look into it next time. I do know the cups were specifically made for sublimation. It looks like issues are possible with that process.

I was recommended to a guy that makes really nice ceramic mugs and presses your logo into them but they definitely weren't cost effective to give away. I think it would have been 40 bucks a piece after shipping them out to you guys, really quality work but man that's a lot of money for just a dang mug!

Not sure how that all works but I'll look into it next time. I do know the cups were specifically made for sublimation. It looks like issues are possible with that process.

I was recommended to a guy that makes really nice ceramic mugs and presses your logo into them but they definitely weren't cost effective to give away. I think it would have been 40 bucks a piece after shipping them out to you guys, really quality work but man that's a lot of money for just a dang mug!
Yeah SWAG has got to make $ sense too. Got a buddy who has a laser. He did a couple of cool insulated tumblers for us and some hats too. Wonder if ceramic can be done with a laser?

Yeah SWAG has got to make $ sense too. Got a buddy who has a laser. He did a couple of cool insulated tumblers for us and some hats too. Wonder if ceramic can be done with a laser?
With the price of fiber lasers powerful enough etch steel dropping, it'd be interesting to know.

Back