Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Are there other methods of printing on a ceramic mug? I've got lots of different ones up in the cupboard, different ranches, companies etc. I don't recall any with a flaking or broken down coating. Course I never looked for it either till now but still not seeing any.

I'm not positive on that front. I suspect there are a number of methods, some more cost effective than others, I imagine. It's entirely possible that my experience was just a one-off deal - no issues with other mugs, aside from cheaply etched ones where a few rounds through the dishwasher scours the logos away. I hand wash only now, especially stuff that I care about preserving.

I tend to hoard mugs and other drinkware. Mugs, in particular are my favorite kind of souvenir and/or swag because I use them all the time and it's a nice way to remember a place where you've been or a product that you appreciate.

Not sure how that all works but I'll look into it next time. I do know the cups were specifically made for sublimation. It looks like issues are possible with that process.

I was recommended to a guy that makes really nice ceramic mugs and presses your logo into them but they definitely weren't cost effective to give away. I think it would have been 40 bucks a piece after shipping them out to you guys, really quality work but man that's a lot of money for just a dang mug!

I never expect handouts so I am quite happy to pay a premium for an awesome mug from an awesome fellow. Let me know if you ever revisit that concept - I'll do my damnedest to be at the head of the line. 😁

John thanks for the giveaway. I would be down for a couple of nice mugs and happily pay. Just something to think about for later.

That looks great!!
It'll be interesting to see when he's strong enough to use a bigger hammer. He's extremely smooth and deliberate, never wastes a strike.

Meanwhile I'm bangin around like a monkey on crack.

ape-orangutan.gif

My daughters work from tonight, nice litlle trailing point. She called me from across the shop and said "Dad I like this shape, it just kinda happened".
20240127_190934-03.jpeg

I helped her with the guillotine tool to put the finger notch in but other than that it was all her.

Random story I was reminded of from the Newsletter thread.

Years ago the crew I work with had to go to a 2 day class about touchy feely stuff, it was horrible and hilarious at the same time.

The subject of "It's ok to have emotions" comes up and it was as cringy as you can imagine. One of the Instructors says "It's ok to cry during movies, I cry at Star Trek 2 every time I watch it". He turns to a friend of mine who's an old salty bastard and asks him, "What's a movie that made you cry?" He grumbles "I don't know, The Yearling when I was like f&ckin 8!".

Random story I was reminded of from the Newsletter thread.

Years ago the crew I work with had to go to a 2 day class about touchy feely stuff, it was horrible and hilarious at the same time.

The subject of "It's ok to have emotions" comes up and it was as cringy as you can imagine. One of the Instructors says "It's ok to cry during movies, I cry at Star Trek 2 every time I watch it". He turns to a friend of mine who's an old salty bastard and asks him, "What's a movie that made you cry?" He grumbles "I don't know, The Yearling when I was like f&ckin 8!".
The Yearling did hit hard tho.... I remember trying to hold back tears so my grandpa wouldn't see.

The Yearling did hit hard tho.... I remember trying to hold back tears so my grandpa wouldn't see.
Definitely, that was a tough one. That deer sneaking throigh the fence and nibbling on the corn was a well done scene, it really made you think ohhhhhhhhh crap, he's screwed.

Old Yeller was another tough one. I read the book recently and it was a really good story about a boy having to man up. Having to put the dog down was a quick sentence and not as traumatic of an event as it was in the movie. Good book, he kids liked it. Non stop action.

Just a few of days ago we sent my sister in law a set of kitchen knives, (small chef, santuko, paring knife and a cheese slicer). For the handle material I'd used some sonokeling rosewood from a board my other brother, Daniel had found in our dad's old barn as he's had our parent's place for some years now. At the end of WW2 my father was an Army Air Corps base commander in India, He flew the Hump quite a bit. He sent a bunch of things back home and we're assuming this board is part of that, as he was very interested in exotic woods and wood working. The board is very weathered and faded color wise and my brother said he found it stuck in a corner of the loft of the barn. Nichole and I were setting up a call with Dawn our sister in law and Matthew my other brother to tell them the back story on the wood used on the handles once they got the knives. They weren't aware of Daniel finding this board and giving it to me to make knife handles. We were taking bets on whether Dawn would start crying when we told them the story, (she did). I said "Matt won't." Nichole replied, "No, he won't, because he's a cold heartless bastard like you, all three of you are!" I do remind her on occasion its handy to have a cold heartless bastard around. She agrees, like when a horse or a cow needs to be put down.

Last edited:
Just a few of days ago we sent my sister in law a set of kitchen knives, (small chef, santuko, paring knife and a cheese slicer). For the handle material I'd used some sonokeling rosewood from a board my other brother, Daniel had found in our dad's old barn as he's had our parent's place for some years now. At the end of WW2 my father was an Army Air Force base commander in India, He flew the Hump quite a bit. He sent a bunch of things back home and we're assuming this board is part of that, as he was very interested in exotic woods and wood working. The board is very weathered and faded color wise and my brother said he found it stuck in a corner of the loft of the barn. Nichole and I were setting up a call with Dawn our sister in law and Matthew my other brother to tell them the back story on the wood used on the handles once they got the knives. They weren't aware of Daniel finding this board and giving it to me to make knife handles. We were taking bets on whether Dawn would start crying when we told them the story, (she did). I said "Matt won't." Nichole replied, "No, he won't, because he's a cold heartless bastard like you, all three of you are!" I do remind her on occasion its handy to have a cold heartless bastard around. She agrees, like when a horse or a cow needs to be put down.

Great backstory on the special family source of the wood. I saw the photo of the kitchen set and it turned out beautifully. I am sure that Dawn will cry more than once as she uses reminisces on the family connections while using this heirloom set.

Well done my “CHB” friend!

Phil

Just a few of days ago we sent my sister in law a set of kitchen knives, (small chef, santuko, paring knife and a cheese slicer). For the handle material I'd used some sonokeling rosewood from a board my other brother, Daniel had found in our dad's old barn as he's had our parent's place for some years now. At the end of WW2 my father was an Army Air Force base commander in India, He flew the Hump quite a bit. He sent a bunch of things back home and we're assuming this board is part of that, as he was very interested in exotic woods and wood working. The board is very weathered and faded color wise and my brother said he found it stuck in a corner of the loft of the barn. Nichole and I were setting up a call with Dawn our sister in law and Matthew my other brother to tell them the back story on the wood used on the handles once they got the knives. They weren't aware of Daniel finding this board and giving it to me to make knife handles. We were taking bets on whether Dawn would start crying when we told them the story, (she did). I said "Matt won't." Nichole replied, "No, he won't, because he's a cold heartless bastard like you, all three of you are!" I do remind her on occasion its handy to have a cold heartless bastard around. She agrees, like when a horse or a cow needs to be put down.
That's interesting Dave, Roy recently picked up a book about flying the hump during WW2 called Pilots in Peril. He's finishing up an abridged version of the Iliad and Liam Hoffman's book on forging right now. Ains is reading The War of the Worlds. They're are all over the place on topics, and usually have a couple books going at once.

Movies that make me cry.....
I would say Paint Your Wagon....some folks should never sing!😅

Great backstory on the special family source of the wood. I saw the photo of the kitchen set and it turned out beautifully. I am sure that Dawn will cry more than once as she uses reminisces on the family connections while using this heirloom set.

Well done my “CHB” friend!

Phil
Thank you my friend. I sent ya a DM a while back did ya get it? You are probably right on Dawn.

That's interesting Dave, Roy recently picked up a book about flying the hump during WW2 called Pilots in Peril. He's finishing up an abridged version of the Iliad and Liam Hoffman's book on forging right now. Ains is reading The War of the Worlds. They're are all over the place on topics, and usually have a couple books going at once.
Wow those are great books for kids to be reading I'm impressed! That they even want to read such books at their ages is dang good parenting! My father told me I have a cousin, whom I never met obviously, that didn't make it back over "the Hump." Also had two cousins in the Bataan Death March. One survived and one didn't. That would be another interesting thing for Roy to read up on if he likes military history. Here's a little "Hump" tidbit for Roy that probably didn't make the history books. There was a lot of heavy equipment at the bases and as things were shutting down we were selling off this equipment to locals for almost nothing on the dollar. However, time to go and still quite a bit of equipment left not sold. My father was ordered to destroy it. So lined it all up along the runway. Had kerosene poured all over it, lit a match and got in his plane and flew away.

I'm currently bout 3/4s of the way through on: The Decline of the Californios, a Social History of the Spanish Speaking Californians from 1846 to 1890. Long title but pretty interesting. Then I got a cool one to dive in to that was sent to me by Phil!

Last edited:
Back