R.I.P Leatherman Squirt

No. Look again. The Squirt PS4 is not currently on that page.

Listed on that page are the Squirt E4, Squirt ES4, Squirt P4, and Squirt S4 models. All of those models were in fact discontinued at various points in time, but there is no Squirt PS4 listed there right now.

In my opinion, the fact that it's gone so long without being listed there makes it way more likely that it hasn't been discontinued at all, and we're just seeing yet another supply shortage impacting yet another one of Leatherman's products, exactly like we've seen happening multiple times over the last few years.

Sorry. I stand corrected. I missed the “S” in there:)

This is good news. Hopefully we will see it again like how the Crunch disappeared for a time and then came back.

They still haven't learned from the crunch, because all the multitool folks on YouTube have remained adamant that it's positively discontinued even though it is still not official.
They've poured the concrete that has yet to dry.

It's a win / win for them, they get tons of views by shocked squirt fans, more views on all the " leatherman squirt alternative " videos, and when it returns they get lots of views as well as praise for being " man enough " to admit their mistake.

It's a win / win for them, they get tons of views by shocked squirt fans, more views on all the " leatherman squirt alternative " videos, and when it returns they get lots of views as well as praise for being " man enough " to admit their mistake.
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't remember the last time that I scrolled down below a youtube video and I actually saw a comment that was negative or critical of the content or the youtuber(s). These kinds of comments must exist, but maybe they're just getting hidden or downvoted into oblivion. I don't know all of the details of how the comment system works on youtube since I don't have an account there anyway, but the apparent lack of comments showing dissenting views or critical thinking is kind of disturbing to me. The comments section for any particular video looks like it's full of nothing but a bunch of cheerleaders. This is even true for random clips of TV shows or movies. It's the most bizarre thing. You wouldn't know that you were looking at a clip of something that was rated 6/10 if all you did was look at the comments. You would think you were looking at a clip from some kind of award winning or cult classic work.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the youtube environment doesn't really seem to be calling creators out for... well, anything anymore, and I don't know what the reason for that is. It bothers me a lot, especially when you have channels where 80-90% of their content is basically just advertising for products while mostly ignoring or glossing over their biggest flaws. The popularity of these kinds of channels alone is enough to bother me, but the fact that the comments are full of positivity is even more troubling. It makes me wonder how much of it is actually real. Say for example that you have a youtube channel that repeatedly does videos about chinese made products which are available on amazon or from sites like ali express. You have to wonder if there aren't farms supporting that kind of content with views, upvotes, and positive comments, even if the youtuber knows nothing about it. Nothing is real anymore. Seriously. I do wonder.

*sigh*

I agree. There will probably be no negative consequences to these youtubers if it turns out that the Squirt PS4 wasn't actually discontinued.

Another possibility that I haven't heard anyone talking about yet is that if the Squirt PS4 isn't getting produced simply because of supply chain issues, eventually Leatherman could be forced to discontinue it anyway. In other words, what may have started out as a simple shortage/supply chain bottleneck eventually turns into the actual discontinuation of the Squirt PS4. If that happens, then I expect that we would finally see an announcement of some kind. The fact that all this time has gone without any kind of announcement means to me that there is still hope that the Squirt PS4 will eventually return, as it has been the case with other Leatherman products in recent times.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't remember the last time that I scrolled down below a youtube video and I actually saw a comment that was negative or critical of the content or the youtuber(s). These kinds of comments must exist, but maybe they're just getting hidden or downvoted into oblivion. I don't know all of the details of how the comment system works on youtube since I don't have an account there anyway, but the apparent lack of comments showing dissenting views or critical thinking is kind of disturbing to me. The comments section for any particular video looks like it's full of nothing but a bunch of cheerleaders. This is even true for random clips of TV shows or movies. It's the most bizarre thing. You wouldn't know that you were looking at a clip of something that was rated 6/10 if all you did was look at the comments. You would think you were looking at a clip from some kind of award winning or cult classic work.

Astute observation sir! After the stolen election of 2020, the google-owned tube site in question removed the display of "downvotes" from each video. Similarly, it takes a second for the video owner to simply delete comments as they please. As I type this out, I am reminded of the web site "Yelp" and how they provide the business owner with "tools" to ensure their business image remains intact.

I noticed on Leatherman's site today that the Squirt PS4 is listed as discontinued.

I went to Leatherman's website and I typed "squirt" in the search box and I hit the enter key. It took me directly to the retired products page. I scrolled down and I saw the Squirt PS4. It's listed between the Squirt P4 and the Squirt S4. So that's official.

That's about as official as you can get.

Finally.

My woman loves my P4 Squirt because of all the little tools, great for her crochet kit... I need to snag an extra for both of us to have one. Its the only LM I can pocket easily with other normal knives and my SAK

I wonder if leatherman is getting rid of their keychain tools, I just checked their website and the only ones I saw were the style PS and the micra. Related note, has the micra always been $50?

I see a lot of Squirt PS4s on ebay, many with broken scissor springs. Does anyone know if replacement Victorinox small scissor springs fit?
Never mind, I've been informed that Squirts use a different type of spring than the Victorinox hairsprings. So I'm guessing that broken Squirt springs are probably unfixable.

Last edited:
I see a lot of Squirt PS4s on ebay, many with broken scissor springs. Does anyone know if replacement Victorinox small scissor springs fit?
Never mind, I've been informed that Squirts use a different type of spring than the Victorinox hairsprings. So I'm guessing that broken Squirt springs are probably unfixable.
That’s excatly what I’m thinking right now. I think you may mod a vic hairspring to a broken squirt spring with a little super glue and maybe a little grinder to fit the tool.

Today I luckily got 2 squirts at very reasonable price from a Vic enthusiast collector, just around 26$ for 2 of them. Both of them have broken scissor spring so I may start that mod in a few days

53344640748_dbd133860a_b.jpg

has the micra always been $50?
No. The price was recently increased.

Honestly though I'm surprised that the Micra hasn't been discontinued yet, especially considering how bad the scissors are these days. Back when the Micra first came out, the scissors weren't bad, but these days they just don't cut it (pun intended). This is even more painfully obvious when you compare them to the scissors on some of the cheap Chinese Leatherman Wave knockoff designs that are now out.

Same goes for the Style PS. I'm surprised it isn't discontinued yet. The Style and the Style CS have already been discontinued, and all of the Squirt models are now gone as well. The Style PS shares the same flawed scissor design as the Squirt PS4. The scissor performance is bad and the spring has a tendency to break while the tool is folded up in your pocket or sitting in a drawer somewhere. The Pliers on the Style PS are great though. They were also carried over from the Squirt PS and PS4. Same exact pliers. There's nothing else left in that size category with better pliers, and the wire cutters on them are especially good.

No. The price was recently increased.

Honestly though I'm surprised that the Micra hasn't been discontinued yet, especially considering how bad the scissors are these days. Back when the Micra first came out, the scissors weren't bad, but these days they just don't cut it (pun intended). This is even more painfully obvious when you compare them to the scissors on some of the cheap Chinese Leatherman Wave knockoff designs that are now out.

Same goes for the Style PS. I'm surprised it isn't discontinued yet. The Style and the Style CS have already been discontinued, and all of the Squirt models are now gone as well. The Style PS shares the same flawed scissor design as the Squirt PS4. The scissor performance is bad and the spring has a tendency to break while the tool is folded up in your pocket or sitting in a drawer somewhere. The Pliers on the Style PS are great though. They were also carried over from the Squirt PS and PS4. Same exact pliers. There's nothing else left in that size category with better pliers, and the wire cutters on them are especially good.
A better movement should be discontinue micra, keep squirt on production and change rivet on squirt to pivot and screw. That’s far far better than what leatherman is doing now.

Anyway, follow my previous post, I’m trying to insert a Vic hairspring to replace the broken scissor spring in my squirt. I will drill a hole in the scissor and cut a tini line following that hole to insert the hairspring.

53354093521_f6c89eeb1a_b.jpg

53354319023_1bd2666eb7_b.jpg

A better movement should be discontinue micra, keep squirt on production and change rivet on squirt to pivot and screw. That’s far far better than what leatherman is doing now.

It may interest you to know that the original Squirt PS4 used barrel pivots and torx screws instead of riveted pivots. That original version of the Squirt PS4 was only manufactured for a period of a few months before they switched back to using riveted pivots similar to the ones on the older Squirt P4 and Squirt S4 models, which were already discontinued by that point in time.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of those original torx screw PS4 models, and it was completely intact, including the scissor spring. The very first thing I did was to unscrew the scissor pivot and remove the scissor spring in order to prevent the spring from being broken. A notable difference between that old spring and the more recently made springs is that the older springs were thinner than the ones that were made later.

I also managed to get my hands on another torx model Squirt PS4, but it was broken. What I ended up doing with that one is recycling the frame and pivots and some of the parts to make a custom Squirt. I named it "Mr. Pinchy". :p

anyway...

I’m trying to insert a Vic hairspring to replace the broken scissor spring in my squirt. I will drill a hole in the scissor and cut a tini line following that hole to insert the hairspring.

Heck yeah. 👍 I hope that works out well. Please do post pics when you are done.

It may interest you to know that the original Squirt PS4 used barrel pivots and torx screws instead of riveted pivots. That original version of the Squirt PS4 was only manufactured for a period of a few months before they switched back to using riveted pivots similar to the ones on the older Squirt P4 and Squirt S4 models, which were already discontinued by that point in time.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of those original torx screw PS4 models, and it was completely intact, including the scissor spring. The very first thing I did was to unscrew the scissor pivot and remove the scissor spring in order to prevent the spring from being broken. A notable difference between that old spring and the more recently made springs is that the older springs were thinner than the ones that were made later.

I also managed to get my hands on another torx model Squirt PS4, but it was broken. What I ended up doing with that one is recycling the frame and pivots and some of the parts to make a custom Squirt. I named it "Mr. Pinchy". :p

anyway...

Heck yeah. 👍 I hope that works out well. Please do post pics when you are done.
Thank you for your sharing
Oh I didn’t know that scissor spring in screw version is thinner than rivet version.
The one that I’m trying to insert the hairspring is a screw version, very old one. Hopefully I may success and absolutely I will share more pics here If the work done. I also have another rivet squirt and if the mod unsuccess, I may custom a new one from 2 old squirt, same as you.

Hello from an old veteran
53354574365_9d249d68ab_b.jpg

I have done with the mod on scissor spring.
1. Bought a drill bit set with diamond coated.
53356727079_df2be5d0d6_b.jpg

2. Drill a hole on the scissor body, not easy and it cost me a whole evening but finally I finished.
53356394976_0298a93eed_b.jpg

53356852205_16e9f9894f_b.jpg

The hole is here as I expected
53356621803_027790f9f2_b.jpg

3. Insert a Vic 58mm hairspring to the hole and modify the spring to the shape that I need ( Need to use grinder to grind spring a little bit to fold the scissor without any struggle)
53356852100_6f69b28641_b.jpg

53355522117_f29eaccbcb_b.jpg

4. Finally, put a few AB glue so the spring is fixed and the job has been done. With the AB glue fixed, the hairspring will stay concrete in the hole and won't be drop.
53356852150_28db0730d6_b.jpg

Very cool. I was anticipating that you might need to modify the spring, but I was not expecting to see it flipped upside down or that you would use a bonding agent. Very interesting.

So that little broken Squirt spring isn't in the way at all? I would've filed it down a to a smaller nub or at least rounded off the tip very thoroughly, but that's just me. I'm paranoid about rough edges so as to avoid accidental cuts or scratches, but I am also the type who has accidentally stabbed my hand with a flat head screwdriver more than once! Who knew that you could stab yourself so badly and spill so much blood with a non-knife object? :D I do stuff like that a lot. My hands are always getting cuts and scrapes from random things.

Very cool. I was anticipating that you might need to modify the spring, but I was not expecting to see it flipped upside down or that you would use a bonding agent. Very interesting.

So that little broken Squirt spring isn't in the way at all? I would've filed it down a to a smaller nub or at least rounded off the tip very thoroughly, but that's just me. I'm paranoid about rough edges so as to avoid accidental cuts or scratches, but I am also the type who has accidentally stabbed my hand with a flat head screwdriver more than once! Who knew that you could stab yourself so badly and spill so much blood with a non-knife object? :D I do stuff like that a lot. My hands are always getting cuts and scrapes from random things.
Hi,
Because of the shape of scissor handle of Squirt is different from Vic (the gap between 2 handles when the scissor closed is very narrow, therefor I need to reverse the spring and also modify them to fit with the new scissor).
Yes I forget to look at the broken spring, as I was too concentrate on the new spring. Thank you for your mentioned, I will grind the tip of broken ones to eliminate any risk from rough edge.

I have another squirt to fix the scissor however I need to buy pivot and screw first before I destroy the rivet to get the scissor out. In my country, it's very difficult to buy part (pivot and screws) from kniveskits.com so I'm trying to figure out how to find the pivot.

I have another squirt to fix the scissor however I need to buy pivot and screw first before I destroy the rivet to get the scissor out. In my country, it's very difficult to buy part (pivot and screws) from kniveskits.com so I'm trying to figure out how to find the pivot.

If you buy the 1/8" barrel pivots from knifekits, then they probably won't fit. You'll probably have to slightly enlarge the holes in the Squirt. A piece of rolled up sandpaper can work pretty well for this, but be prepared to spend some time doing it because each part on the Squirt will take a while to sand before the hole gets big enough to fit the pivot. You can do it though if you are patient.

Another option is to buy 1/8" brass rod. It is a lot easier to find. You can then use the brass rod as the pivot and peen the outside to make rivets. The brass is nice and soft and peens easily. People use regular brass rods to make pivots for custom SAKs all the time. If the brass rod is too big to fit, then you can also gently sand the rod by hand to make it small enough to fit.

If you buy the 1/8" barrel pivots from knifekits, then they probably won't fit. You'll probably have to slightly enlarge the holes in the Squirt. A piece of rolled up sandpaper can work pretty well for this, but be prepared to spend some time doing it because each part on the Squirt will take a while to sand before the hole gets big enough to fit the pivot. You can do it though if you are patient.

Another option is to buy 1/8" brass rod. It is a lot easier to find. You can then use the brass rod as the pivot and peen the outside to make rivets. The brass is nice and soft and peens easily. People use regular brass rods to make pivots for custom SAKs all the time. If the brass rod is too big to fit, then you can also gently sand the rod by hand to make it small enough to fit.
Thank you for your suggestion. If I use brass rod to make another rivet, it will be fixed and difficult to swap the tool in case I need in the future. Therefore I'm still trying to buy 1/8 barrel pivot and screw. In case I need to enlarge the hole in squirt, I may use the dremel to grind the steel in the tools a little bit, It's easier than grinding by hand, although It may be more difficult to control the width of the hole 😁

Next time I mod the scissor spring, I will try to solder the hole with the spring rather than using AB glue.

I'm still trying to buy 1/8 barrel pivot and screw. In case I need to enlarge the hole in squirt, I may use the dremel to grind the steel in the tools a little bit, It's easier than grinding by hand, although It may be more difficult to control the width of the hole 😁

Okay, but you really don't need to use power tools. When I made my custom Leatherman Juices, I replaced the riveted pivots with 1/8 inch barrel pivots from knifekits, and I had to enlarge the holes in the Juice to make the pivots fit. I just used sandpaper. It only took several minutes of sanding per hole. All I did was roll the sandpaper up and clamp the parts into a bench vise. Then I sanded the inside of each hole with the rolled up sandpaper until the pivot would fit through easily. It was pretty simple.

Anyway, that's how I did it, but do whatever works best for you.

When I talked to a guy from knifekits about the pivots not fitting, he said this was pretty common and that they were still within an acceptable deviation from 1/8th of an inch. When I looked at what other people who had used those pivots were saying, a lot of them had a similar issue in getting them to fit. They seem to be just a tiny bit too wide.

Have fun! :)

Back