Randall knives--I just don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess its time for my yearly post.

First, a bit about what I carry and use. I have some Randalls that see regular carry. I have some handmades that see regular carry. I have some factory knives that see regular carry. All the way from basic Schrades with delrin handles to MS damascus pieces with mastodon. Some are relatively new; some are antiques.

They all share certain characteristics: they work and I LIKE THEM.

Here's part of my carry rotation:

P1010008.jpg

Yes, I sorta like stag. <koff>

Is a Randall worth it? I guess that depends on what you value. Some of the previous posters have touched on the positive aspects of buying one. They feel good. Unless you significantly overpaid or destroyed it through misuse, a new one will never be worth any less.

I suspect very few of the detractors have ever held one much less used one extensively.

They are good 1950's technology. The fit and finish is a lot better now but I personally think the ones from the 50's and 60's feel better. Its all about the feel.

Note that not all Randalls have 'the feel'. Some combinations of options are geared more to the display collector than the user.

I have owned one of the old Blackjacks at the same time I owned similar #1-7" Randalls. The Blackjack had better steel, better edge geometry, F&F almost as good AND IT FELT LIKE CRAP IN MY HAND.

If you prefer the way the Blackjack feels, or can't tell the difference, then the choice is obvious FOR YOU. You'd be a fool to spend the extra money.

I used to have a nice collection of them; 74 pieces at one point. A lot of them sold when I went out on disability because they were ready cash, whereas the customs I had paid a lot more for would only bring a fraction of the purchase price.

The only non-users I kept were the Number 3 pattern which is my favorite and a couple of old ones with personal connections I just couldn't part with.

Regards,

Pat

Pat, a very sensible post which i enjoyed reading. But now i have to wait a whole year before i get to read more of your wisdom ? Try posting a bit more often please.
roland

I don't get Randall Knives either. I waited four years for one. The minute it came in I took it to my local knife dealer and traded it for a sack full of Spydercos. Never looked back. Damn thing wasn't even sharp. What a joke.

I've got one Randall and expect the other in one year. It is a nostalgia thing as you get older you become more nostalgic. Why do I own an M1 carbine, Garand, 1903, Krag etc..... because of history, nostalgia.

Why did the retro Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Challenger make a comeback and why do the old muscle cars sell for so much?

Nostalgia that's why. Are the old guns or old cars worth the money they fetch? They certainly are not any better no matter how much we want them to be but people like me will argue that they are.

Hell, ice cream, movies, and a summer breezes all taste, look and felt better than they do now and I would pay more for and ice cream from an old 50's diner than I would from Ben and Jerry's.

It is all perception and that is why the one knife I would never get rid of no matter the price is my old Buck 110 that I found and my Grandfather helped me repair all those years ago. The blade is so worn down it has a re-curve (I like that), it wobbles and the brass is green.

There is a reason why Randall's wait time is 5 years, all together now, NOSTALGIA. :D Go ahead and get in line you will not be disappointed.

Great post, my friend, well said and oh so true. :thumbup:

I don't get Randall Knives either. I waited four years for one. The minute it came in I took it to my local knife dealer and traded it for a sack full of Spydercos. Never looked back. Damn thing wasn't even sharp. What a joke.

Joke indeed.

This certainly made me laugh.

As long as you were happy though.

Pat, a very sensible post which i enjoyed reading. But now i have to wait a whole year before i get to read more of your wisdom ? Try posting a bit more often please.
roland

Hello Roland,

Thats sort of a joke around the BF chatroom at night. I occasionally post reminders in shoptalk for the regular Wednesday night knifemakers chat.

Sounds like you finally got what you wanted, so all is well. I have done similar things: ordered something and it turned out to be totally wrong for me. Same with impulse buys, though some of my most fantastic pieces came from grabbing the opportunity.

Folks, its all about what we enjoy. We all make mistakes in our collecting; perfectly good items that just don't 'fit' with us personally. Well, I make mistakes. Lack of focus.

But, I learn a bit along the way, meet new people, and have a good time. These are the things that matter, not the shiny bits.

Regards,

Pat

I've owned a few Randall knives, I kinda like 'em... ;)

Great post Pat; thanks for your kind words Roland :thumbup:

Shel

A 5 year wait is nothing serious. Put your $50 down and before you know it, the 5 years will be up. In the meantime, you can buy all the other knives you want. And if you dont like it when you get it, you can sell it for a tidy profit, no harm no foul.

I think the #1 fighter is a true classic. Yes, you could probably get a version of it made by a custom knife maker, with better steel, etc. But there's something to be said for owning an original.

At least they come with a nice sheath. :p

I own one Randall. I got it . . . hell, has it really been 20 years since I ordered it? How time flies. I ordered a #1 with a 7" blade, a rosewood handle, and a double guard. I also had my name stamped on the blade -- yeah, I know it lowers the re-sale value, but I knew that was one knife that I never intended to sell. It was the first "custom" knife I ever bought. And I've never regreted buying it. As has been been mentioned, it's an American classic and feels good in my hand. Sure, it's a safe queen. I've never used it. But if the SHTF, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

Are there better economic choices out there? Sure there are. But then Harley's are overpriced also, and not as good as a Honda. It's not always about the money.

Old pic, some things have changed...

p.s. I get it...lol

p.p.s. Looks like I clipped off the Model #1's, #6's, #14's, #23's and #24's, and maybe something else too...oh well

Attachments

• Collection 10-07-3.jpg
    Collection 10-07-3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 78
Are there better economic choices out there? Sure there are. But then Harley's are overpriced also, and not as good as a Honda. It's not always about the money.

That post sums it up so very neatly. To the point.

I had a small Randall collection that I had since the early 70's. A model 14 and 15 that was my so called suvival knives. A trout and bird knife that was my hunting knife. A model 5 I think it was, the camp and trail. I was once in love with Randall's and I used them.

But I fell out of love with them in my middle age. Not really sure why, but they were heavy for what they were. And they didn't really hold an edge better than some of my other knives, and not as well in a few cases. I think I got into the function over form thing. If it didn't perform as well as something else, it went. I sold off my Randall's as well as any gun that wasn't the most accurite or reliable. I was a bit disapointed in the Randall when to came to real world field performance. I didn't care about the feel anymore, but just how it worked. For me the Randall's were a fail. The good side was I made money on them.

The Randall's are a lot like the Harley-Davidson thing. It's all about the mystique of the brand. Money has nothing to do with it exept maybe for the snob appeal. My Buck 102 woodsman was better at field dressing a deer or cleaning fish than my Randall trout and bird knife, and I can replace the Buck at the next Walmart or Dick's that I come to. And for a heck of a lot less money.

Carl.

Over 30 years later, I still mourn the loss of my Randall #5 I bought when I was in college. Took me over three years to pay for it on a college salary - then had it stolen when I graduated.

I went to school at Florida Tech, now UCF, so I was able to order - and pick up - my knife in person at the shop in south (then) Orlando.

The #5 is the "B" in this pic:

Al

Attachments

• out_a-d.jpg
    out_a-d.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 49
I think Randall is to knife what Rolex is to watch.

Neither company makes the highest quality product in their field. There are much better knifes than Randalls and much better watches than Rolex. And IMO neither one is even a very good value - similar or better quality can be had for less $$$.

Yet both have tremendous brand images and huge followings to where Rolex is probably perceived by "the masses" more than any other watch to represent a "quality watch" and Randall is probably perceived the same when it comes to knives. As a result, they each have a unique position within their respective market such that anyone who owns a Rolex or a Randall can ALWAYS find a buyer.

For the record, I have three Rolex watches and two Randall knives and I cannot even tell you why, because the Randalls are just about my least favorite knives I own, and I really only like one of the Rolexes. Maybe I am just a pawn of the marketing folks. :(

The Randall/Rolex comparison is about as spot-on as you can get. My
father was a watchmaker and he gave me my first Rolex when I was a
teenager. I've had several over the years but still have my old GMT;
I have no doubt the same bond exists for someone who loves the
fit, finish and quality of a Randall. No, I don't have one, but the value
of an icon always deserves respect.

I think Randalls are like Harleys. They are not the best of the best, but they have good quality and a history. If you want something to use, you can save a lot of money and get the same or better performance. If you want something mass produced, but still collectible, they fit the bill.

This thread is very interesting, I always had wondered what would be considered the "Rolex" or "Bose" of Knives and at times felt it would be Chris Reeve, but now it seems clear to me Randall is that brand....

While I respect the company and the history this actually makes me more comfortable spending on something like a Reeve which is high quality and modern, not trading as much on nostalga.

Great thread.

I think Randall is to knife what Rolex is to watch.

Neither company makes the highest quality product in their field. There are much better knifes than Randalls and much better watches than Rolex. And IMO neither one is even a very good value - similar or better quality can be had for less $$$.

Yet both have tremendous brand images and huge followings to where Rolex is probably perceived by "the masses" more than any other watch to represent a "quality watch" and Randall is probably perceived the same when it comes to knives. As a result, they each have a unique position within their respective market such that anyone who owns a Rolex or a Randall can ALWAYS find a buyer.

For the record, I have three Rolex watches and two Randall knives and I cannot even tell you why, because the Randalls are just about my least favorite knives I own, and I really only like one of the Rolexes. Maybe I am just a pawn of the marketing folks. :(

Just noticed this and interesting as I made the same remark...

FWIW I also have a Rolex (Have owned two others as well) and while I don't own a Randall in reading this thread I get the appeal, though speaking for myself I find less and less interest in brands/products like this and more in those which are a little more modern and to me interesting...which is why I find myself drawn to Chris Reeve Knives and Omega watches amongst other things...

This thread is very interesting, I always had wondered what would be considered the "Rolex" or "Bose" of Knives and at times felt it would be Chris Reeve, but now it seems clear to me Randall is that brand....

While I respect the company and the history this actually makes me more comfortable spending on something like a Reeve which is high quality and modern, not trading as much on nostalga.

Great thread.

While alot of the price is nostalgia or "paying for a name" I find that Randalls are excellent users. I really like CRKs too, I've got 3 of them, but I still choose a Randall 18 over them. I wouldn't be too quick to write off a Randalls usability.

While alot of the price is nostalgia or "paying for a name" I find that Randalls are excellent users. I really like CRKs too, I've got 3 of them, but I still choose a Randall 18 over them. I wouldn't be too quick to write off a Randalls usability.

So I have absolutely no use for a fixed blade which eliminates Randall from the mix as far as I am concerned.

But in looking at their history, their cost, and seemingly what they offer I do think the Rolex, Montblanc, Bose, Fender analogies apply, possibly at one point in time a true "tool" for a high yet attainable price that with time and the nostalgic effect has risen above that and now commands prices for their namesake more than what they tangibly offer.

So I have absolutely no use for a fixed blade which eliminates Randall from the mix as far as I am concerned.

But in looking at their history, their cost, and seemingly what they offer I do think the Rolex, Montblanc, Bose, Fender analogies apply, possibly at one point in time a true "tool" for a high yet attainable price that with time and the nostalgic effect has risen above that and now commands prices for their namesake more than what they tangibly offer.

I have no idea who you are, but if you have "absolutely no use for a fixed blade," why are you here stinking up this thread with your negativity?

I think part of it is paying your $20 and waiting like a kid on Xmas. It could be this year or 5 years from now.
While the market fluctuates, I've never seen them fall below list price.
Great knife and fun speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back