Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections

How about filling present orders before introducing new models? The Horizon C is all but impossible to find. Now your going to come out with another model that no one will be able to purchase?

Thanks
Mike

Thank you , I will as soon as possible release in here !

How about filling present orders before introducing new models? The Horizon C is all but impossible to find. Now your going to come out with another model that no one will be able to purchase?

Thanks
Mike

Come to think of it, I just saw a Horizon-C this past folder Friday. All bronze too!

There all but impossible to find at any outlets and even on the bay god forbid :). Also any notice the new 0392 is the same colorway as the reate horizon C? Not that it's got anything to do with anything.

Mike

Come to think of it, I just saw a Horizon-C this past folder Friday. All bronze too!

Some of these look nice. That being said I can't in good conscience justify spending money on a Chinese folder. There is absolutely Nada/zero/zip regulations on materials or advertising. Lets be honest it says m390 it might be s30v if your lucky or aus8 there is no repercussions whatsoever for a Chinese knife manufacturer. Also I refuse to support China's Unfair Trade Practices and intellectual property theft. I'll admit the cheap prices for the advertised quality/materials are tempting until you consider why. Slave labor/unfair wages, no R&D costs because designs are stolen and machinery funded by american companies. You can't even buy many popular knives on major online retailers currently for fear of being duped. it's been proven time and time again that most of these "Chinese knife makers" also make clones.

My 2 cents.

Honestly you could apply your conspiracy theories to ANY company. It could be in the USA, Russia, africa. Maybe 10-20 years ago some of your "concerns" would be valid. In the situation with Reate they have been posting proof of their heat treat, materials and the execution of those materials is top notch. Your right no one can tell if M390 is M390 just by looking at it. But that applies to any knife not just those made in china. And so far Reate has bent over backwards to supply customers with as much proof as anyone could offer that they are legit and using the materials they say they are using. If test reports from Bohler, receipts from crucible and a shocking amount of transparency in an effort to prove themselves doesnt ease your worried mind then I ask what would it take for you to just accept that this company is legit? Also none of the designs produced by Reate as Reate are stolen. And actually no one has provent that these chinese makers also make clones. It has been suspected but NEVER proven. The only proven thing is that people like to assume things with little to no information. And its very hard for me to accept people using their high and mighty morals and ethics about fair wages and working conditions. You apply that philosophy to knives. But I am pretty sure the device you used to type those words was made in china itself. Why is it that when people fight for a "cause" they only fight for it in relation to their hobbies? Most peoples possessions they use on a daily basis are made in china. If it really is about chinas wages and business practices then those speaking against china should be practicing their preaching in all avenues of their purchasing habits. Otherwise its not about the cause at all.

Thanks
Mike

Or customers could just be patient. This isnt a situtation where reate is doing anything they shouldnt be doing. They didnt make enough horizon-C knives to supply the full demand. So they shouldnt release new products before they do? Name one other company that would do as you ask? These new knives were probably all ready in the pipeline when the horizon C was released.

Last edited:
"Or customers could just be patient."
Indeed patients is not exactly my long suite, but it's been months since the horizon c came out and I haven't seen them even trickle out since. Remember this is a production knife not a limited edition. And yes if they can't keep up with current demand does it make sense to introduce new models? I can see where that'll help production :-(
"So they shouldn't release new models before they do? Name one other company that would do as you ask?"
I'm no marketing guru but most companies do. That's why you have end of the year sales and companies trying to get rid of older models before introducing new ones. They have new stuff in the pipeline all the time but keeping up production is job one.

Mike

"Or customers could just be patient."
Indeed patients is not exactly my long suite, but it's been months since the horizon c came out and I haven't seen them even trickle out since. Remember this is a production knife not a limited edition. And yes if they can't keep up with current demand does it make sense to introduce new models? I can see where that'll help production :-(
"So they shouldn't release new models before they do? Name one other company that would do as you ask?"
I'm no marketing guru but most companies do. That's why you have end of the year sales and companies trying to get rid of older models before introducing new ones. They have new stuff in the pipeline all the time but keeping up production is job one.

Mike

The point is most companies have a production schedule. And while to you it may not make sense for them to release new models when demand hasnt been met on previous ones its just the way it works. They had no idea how popular the model was going to be. Despite what you want it actually makes more sense to make less knives than what will supply demand. And its much more preferable to over running a model and not selling the overstock. Companies dont sit on their hands waiting for lightning to strike. They do a run of knives and as those are released they are making new ones. And before they can get back to the model you want they have to complete what they are currently working on. So while you dont think it makes sense for them to put out a new design when people havent had a chance to get the last one would it make good business sense to you to halt production on the current model being produced and retool to make the previous model for the few people who missed out on the original run? I dont think it would make any sense. And honestly what you are complaining about every single company is guilty of. The bottom line is we now live in an I want it now world. We order something today and we expect it the next. Unfortunately what we want is often far removed from reality. In some cases its far removed from what is even possible. And I dont think any company actually delays the release of a product for the sake of making an older product. Most releases from the big boys seem to follow the various trade show schedules such as blade and shot. And even if the company were to do as you ask and get more horizon C's out instead of the C/F horizons you would STILL have people complain.

Thanks for the education purpledc. (no sarcasm intended at all). I learned from your post. What your saying makes sense I guess from reate's perspective but it seems like it's going to lead to a vicious cycle of dissatisfied customers and forever playing catch on their part.

Mike

Well this thread has taken a quite a drastic turn. I for one am happy to see a company this new and small pumping out new and unique designs as quick as they are.
And regarding their business ethics, I plan on supporting them and giving them the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason to think otherwise.
In other words keep up the good work!

Thanks for the education purpledc. (no sarcasm intended at all). I learned from your post. What your saying makes sense I guess from reate's perspective but it seems like it's going to lead to a vicious cycle of dissatisfied customers and forever playing catch on their part.

Mike

That I agree. But sometimes I wonder if that is more our fault as consumers rather than the fault of the suppliers. Im only 34 (or 35 cant remember) but I still remember the days when I actually had to wait to hear about new knife models by whatever catalogs I could get shipped to my house or by what semi annual releases ended up in my local hardware and retail outlets. In those days companies had a certain amount of privacy and time frame windows that allowed them to make new stuff at their leisure and to produce it in a timely manner. Now we digest information at an alarming rate. Back in the day you would have to wait 4-6 weeks for a knife to arrive at your doorstep after filling out an order form in a catalog. You might shave a week off if you can call the order in with a credit card. Could you imaging asking someone to wait 4-6 weeks for a knife after ordering it? Hell most people expect the knives to be completed in less time than that even though it was only announced and production hasnt even started. Still if you think the wait for the horizon C is bad I am still waiting for them to make more horizon A's.

All true! I'm in my 50's and can remember all that and more. I'm so freaking old I can remember when you could order spyder monkeys out of the back of boys life magazine!
I'll keep trying for a horizon C! Thanks for the help.

Mike

That I agree. But sometimes I wonder if that is more our fault as consumers rather than the fault of the suppliers. Im only 34 (or 35 cant remember) but I still remember the days when I actually had to wait to hear about new knife models by whatever catalogs I could get shipped to my house or by what semi annual releases ended up in my local hardware and retail outlets. In those days companies had a certain amount of privacy and time frame windows that allowed them to make new stuff at their leisure and to produce it in a timely manner. Now we digest information at an alarming rate. Back in the day you would have to wait 4-6 weeks for a knife to arrive at your doorstep after filling out an order form in a catalog. You might shave a week off if you can call the order in with a credit card. Could you imaging asking someone to wait 4-6 weeks for a knife after ordering it? Hell most people expect the knives to be completed in less time than that even though it was only announced and production hasnt even started. Still if you think the wait for the horizon C is bad I am still waiting for them to make more horizon A's.

I just got done cleaning and lubing my hills. The only other knife that was as easy to assemble is the sebenza. This thing just falls together.
fyuiwZV.jpg

There all but impossible to find at any outlets and even on the bay god forbid :). Also any notice the new 0392 is the same colorway as the reate horizon C? Not that it's got anything to do with anything.

Mike

I commented on one of the ZT 0392BWBZ posts that I noticed them following the same color release as Reate, first light with blue and then dark with yellow / bronze?? :p

Yup I guess if you can use another companies success and failures as a barometer for what sells and what doesn't then why not, of course everybody does that, nothing unique to ZT.

Mike

I commented on one of the ZT 0392BWBZ posts that I noticed them following the same color release as Reate, first light with blue and then dark with yellow / bronze?? :p

more supporting workers living in dire poverty? more producing inferior and often dangerous products. Such products are as diverse as lead-filled toys, sulfurous drywall, pet food spiked with melamine and heparin tainted with oversulfated chondroitin sulfate. More stealing of data from Government and personal files? more not putting our consumer dollars in the hands of democratic countries in Europe, Asia, or even in this very hemisphere? Countries that actually buy North American products unlike china?
you can have your "more" I'm cool

yah cause the average knife owner can tell aus8 from m390 via sight! rofl did you just actually say that people don't spend money on junk. hahahahahahah
good one!

Do you own: A car (even one from an "American" brand), a computer, a cell phone (of any kind), any appliances, any TVs or TV related devices, etc. etc.? I hope you're posting by carrier pigeon. :D

Do you own: A car (even one from an "American" brand), a computer, a cell phone (of any kind), any appliances, any TVs or TV related devices, etc. etc.? I hope you're posting by carrier pigeon. :D

I wonder if he has an iPhone/iPad/iPod/Mac..I remember Apple getting slammed for the same labor practices our fellow forum member is trying to accuse Reate of.

I just got done cleaning and lubing my hills. The only other knife that was as easy to assemble is the sebenza. This thing just falls together.
fyuiwZV.jpg

Does anybody know what these numbers mean on the inside of our scales? Is it a serial number?

Sappy's number looks like 60 (or 09), and mine is 95.

BBD157BD-F304-484D-8EC7-104FED6F60CA_zpsve9ehotz.jpg

Both sides are stamped? My guess is they finish the scales as sets for uniform color and finish and by stamping them with matching numbers you can tell which scales are pairs.

Thanks for your share ! the serial number on the handle, just as a number match !

Does anybody know what these numbers mean on the inside of our scales? Is it a serial number?

Sappy's number looks like 60 (or 09), and mine is 95.

BBD157BD-F304-484D-8EC7-104FED6F60CA_zpsve9ehotz.jpg

On the Horizon C, the yellow spacers / standoffs, what are they made of? Ti or steel?
We have been talking about maybe some red steel spacers on the Horizon D, similar to what ZT has on the 0450 or the Kershaw Ruby....

If the ones on the C are Ti, nevermind.
But if the ones on the C are steel... can you get them in other colors besides yellow?

Back