Redmeadow Belts

You like you some belts?

• I like me some belts

Votes: 25 96.2%
  • I don't wear pants

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
I'm gonna ramble here on my opinions of buying a belt.

I hope those of you that have gotten belts are happy with both the quality and fit.

I've been researching (non-custom) belt companies and seeing what's out there. Doing basic google searches for a belt, I've found a couple with completely different company names and completely different backstories that insinuate they are each making the belts themselves though they use the same stock photos and have the same model names, I'm guessing they are drop shipping from the same source. The prices are usually around $50-100 and I'm sure they do what a belt should do but I wouldn't waste my money on them. It's like a knifemaker buying a knife or a candlemaker buying candles, we know too much. We can see through the marketing and know what's BS. Before making belts myself I would have fallen for these easily. That's NOT to say that there aren't legitimate non-custom belt companies, just be aware there are a lot of hokey ones that show up in a search that have beautiful convincing websites.

Long story short on what I've found when it comes to belts in general:

If you want a belt to last get one that's lined, a one piece belt no matter the thickness will stretch and turn into spaghetti most likely within a few years. The big issue with this is when you try to use it for a sheath, holster, phone case, etc. They will bend and flip out and "take a set" like a spring does. A lined belt will hold strong not only around your circumference but also it's width, meaning anything mounted on it is not going to bounce around and stretch the leather, leaving you with a curl.

A lined belt will break in to your shape like a one piece belt but the difference is a one piece won't stop breaking in, it will keep going and eventually be spaghetti that will most likely crack and fail and you'll need to shift holes.

Just because a belt has rows of stitching doesn't mean it's two piece lined, it can still be one piece of leather. That's fine and could help reduce stretching but it can look misleading.

I've recently been looking at belts every time I see them in stores now, from Retail to Ranch supply. They have some attractive designs but I would pass unless they're having a ridiculous sale. If you find yourself needing a belt, I personally wouldn't waste my money (and I'm a frugal bastard!). The quality just isn't there in my opinion. Now, if custom belts were in the 300 dollar range, that's a bit of a jump but knowing that a quality custom belt can be found for around $100-150 and will last close to forever, that's a jump I'd consider. Just food for thought.

If you really want a quality belt that lasts go with a custom maker, the prices are not that much higher than an off the rack belt and they will last you a long time. Myself or Dave Horsewright Horsewright would be good places to start, there are others out there but we're the coolest:cool:😄

Hardware is another thing to take into consideration. I use Chicago screws which are strong and will allow you to change buckles. I haven't had good luck with snaps, they can pop loose and wear out, not a fan. Rivets are strong as heck but you're not changing the buckle without a rebuild.

That's just a quick run down of what I've found and some of my opinions. I thought it might help answer any questions. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll do what I can to answer them. I'm new in the belt game and want to do things right.

As you would expect from me, I have a stupid question.
If you threaded around the holes, if this is even possible, would the holes still get distorted?
I don't think it would help with the distortion, there's a lot of bend going on at that point. The lining helps, you get a lot of strength from lamination (think plywood). The lining and the border stitching help stiffen things up and that keeps any distortion confined to the hole instead of warping the whole tail. You can tell I don't overthink this stuff huh 😆

I hope those of you that have gotten belts are happy with both the quality and fit.

I've been researching (non-custom) belt companies and seeing what's out there. Doing basic google searches for a belt, I've found a couple with completely different company names and completely different backstories that insinuate they are each making the belts themselves though they use the same stock photos and have the same model names, I'm guessing they are drop shipping from the same source. The prices are usually around $50-100 and I'm sure they do what a belt should do but I wouldn't waste my money on them. It's like a knifemaker buying a knife or a candlemaker buying candles, we know too much. We can see through the marketing and know what's BS. Before making belts myself I would have fallen for these easily. That's NOT to say that there aren't legitimate non-custom belt companies, just be aware there are a lot of hokey ones that show up in a search that have beautiful convincing websites.

If you want a belt to last get one that's lined, a one piece belt no matter the thickness will stretch and turn into spaghetti most likely within a few years. The big issue with this is when you try to use it for a sheath, holster, phone case, etc. They will bend and flip out and "take a set" like a spring does. A lined belt will hold strong not only around your circumference but also it's width, meaning anything mounted on it is not going to bounce around and stretch the leather, leaving you with a curl.

A lined belt will break in to your shape like a one piece belt but the difference is a one piece won't stop breaking in, it will keep going and eventually be spaghetti that will most likely crack and fail and you'll need to shift holes.

Just because a belt has rows of stitching doesn't mean it's two piece lined, it can still be one piece of leather. That's fine and could help reduce stretching but it can look misleading.

I've recently been looking at belts every time I see them in stores now, from Retail to Ranch supply. They have some attractive designs but I would pass unless they're having a ridiculous sale. If you find yourself needing a belt, I personally wouldn't waste my money (and I'm a frugal bastard!). The quality just isn't there in my opinion. Now, if custom belts were in the 300 dollar range, that's a bit of a jump but knowing that a quality custom belt can be found for around $100-150 and will last close to forever, that's a jump I'd consider. Just food for thought.

If you really want a quality belt that lasts go with a custom maker, the prices are not that much higher than an off the rack belt and they will last you a long time. Myself or Dave Horsewright Horsewright would be good places to start, there are others out there but we're the coolest:cool:😄

Hardware is another thing to take into consideration. I use Chicago screws which are strong and will allow you to change buckles. I haven't had good luck with snaps, they can pop loose and wear out, not a fan. Rivets are strong as heck but you're not changing the buckle without a rebuild.

That's just a quick run down of what I've found and some of my opinions. I thought it might help answer any questions. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll do what I can to answer them. I'm new in the belt game and want to do things right.
Aw shucks you're cooler than I am! Ya got that BadA.. gunslinger stitch down my friend! Guys I can pretty much echo everything that John says. Finding quality leather at a store just ain't gonna happen. Its kinda like a lot of factory sheaths. I couldn't tell ya where to go to buy such bad leather if ya wanted to make one just like it. Quality glows and I can see that in John's belts. Ya can dang near reach through the pics and feel the quality.

As you would expect from me, I have a stupid question.
If you threaded around the holes, if this is even possible, would the holes still get distorted?
Mack just took this pic of my own personal belt that I wear daily. I don't remember how old it is, years. This is water buffalo top lined with a Horween latigo. Bout bullet proof. I was experimenting with seven holes on 3/4" centers for carrying a pistola instead of five at 1". Personally I don't find it makes much diff. Anyhoo wanted ya to see this pic of the buckle hole:

km2CMJm.jpg

Even with all the use and abuse this belt has gone through, (I have never conditioned it by the way, a nuther lil experiment, I'm trying to kill it), there isn't much elongation on the hole. Want a solid belt? Lined and stitched is the way to go from quality materials. Heck my son used his to drag his cow elk back to camp:

PVO0qcy.jpg

Cowboying like he does, a guy could be in the middle of no where and have to get down because ya run into some clown.

3MtHkWP.jpg

So if there's no trees in this county to tie your horse too, a guy might have to hobble his horse so he can do whatever he needs to do like fix fence. Sometimes he'll forget the hobbles on one of his other saddles and he'll use his belt to hobble his horse. Hobbling is securing the horse's front feet so ya don't have a long walk back home. And ya wonder why they call it The Sagebrush Sea?

Last edited:

I think there are probably a lot of commercial belts that aren't cut from the bend. You and Dave have some proper field experience, and I'm sure with the build time involved it's actually quite a deal.

I don't typically edc kit off of my belt (sheaths, holsters) so it's light use. Due to gut issues like bloating, I don't like to feel restricted so every day comfort dictates the height of the belt and the buckle I use... I've been testing out this design, it's been about a year now but I can already see it start to stretch just a bit, if I was carrying a sheath or a holster it would likely be more dramatic.

wayne1.jpg
wayne2.jpg
wayne3.jpg

The above belt was not cut from a bend and you can tell (was a pretty poor piece of pockmarked leather to begin with, but I always use my scraps for testing designs). As you can see it's fuzzy on the sides even though it was properly burnished. The first three holes on the left are unused, the hole I use (second from the right) is stretched to an oval even through light use. The buckle, which was intended for strapping and not belts, marred the leather because of the sharp corners on the inside left from the cast. It is very comfortable though, and I do enjoy not having a belt loop. The inspiration was taken from... you guessed it, the Swiss ;)

But yeah, anything overly heavy would stretch this thing out.

I think there are probably a lot of commercial belts that aren't cut from the bend. You and Dave have some proper field experience, and I'm sure with the build time involved it's actually quite a deal.

I don't typically edc kit off of my belt (sheaths, holsters) so it's light use. Due to gut issues like bloating, I don't like to feel restricted so every day comfort dictates the height of the belt and the buckle I use... I've been testing out this design, it's been about a year now but I can already see it start to stretch just a bit, if I was carrying a sheath or a holster it would likely be more dramatic.

View attachment 2287936
View attachment 2287937
View attachment 2287938

The above belt was not cut from a bend and you can tell (was a pretty poor piece of pockmarked leather to begin with, but I always use my scraps for testing designs). As you can see it's fuzzy on the sides even though it was properly burnished. The first three holes on the left are unused, the hole I use (second from the right) is stretched to an oval even through light use. The buckle, which was intended for strapping and not belts, marred the leather because of the sharp corners on the inside left from the cast. It is very comfortable though, and I do enjoy not having a belt loop. The inspiration was taken from... you guessed it, the Swiss ;)

But yeah, anything overly heavy would stretch this thing out.
Worse than that (not cutting from the bend or spine) a lot of commercial belts are made from whats called "bonded" leather. Literally leather fibers glued and compressed together to form the Spam of the leather world!

One thing to take into account, which I didn't (cuz I didn't realize it until now), is if the belt you're using for measurement has any "spring" to it. One of my leather dress belts I can hand stretch by at least 1/2" and then it goes back. Between that, and putting on a bit of weight, I probably should have added an inch to my measurement.

One thing to take into account, which I didn't (cuz I didn't realize it until now), is if the belt you're using for measurement has any "spring" to it. One of my leather dress belts I can hand stretch by at least 1/2" and then it goes back. Between that, and putting on a bit of weight, I probably should have added an inch to my measurement.
Send it back John and I'll make one that fits. Not being able to size these personally creates a problem that I knew I'd have to deal with going in.

Let me know which hole in the belt that I sent fits you and I'll adjust from there. Or if it's between holes mark it and measure like in the video.

Do me a favor though also and lay this belt over your old belt (laying flat without any stretch) and let me know how they match up. That will help me adjust how much I compensate for the belts thickness. It might be that I need to adjust that.

Thank you, Sir.
Your overthinking helps clarify my stupid thinking.
No such thing. Besides, the questions I'd have for you if you taught me how to drive a tractor trailer would probably shave years off your life!! 😆

Send it back John and I'll make one that fits. Not being able to size these personally creates a problem that I knew I'd have to deal with going in.

Let me know which hole in the belt that I sent fits you and I'll adjust from there. Or if it's between holes mark it and measure like in the video.

Do me a favor though also and lay this belt over your old belt (laying flat without any stretch) and let me know how they match up. That will help me adjust how much I compensate for the belts thickness. It might be that I need to adjust that.
Thanks John, will mess around with the fit some more tomorrow, but it matches up perfectly to the other 2 belts, so your measurement method is spot on. It is thicker than those though. And being wider may be giving the illusion of feeling a bit tighter. Been working from home for a couple years, so haven't had to dress up in a while.

IMG_1160.jpg

Aw shucks you're cooler than I am! Ya got that BadA.. gunslinger stitch down my friend! Guys I can pretty much echo everything that John says. Finding quality leather at a store just ain't gonna happen. Its kinda like a lot of factory sheaths. I couldn't tell ya where to go to buy such bad leather if ya wanted to make one just like it. Quality glows and I can see that in John's belts. Ya can dang near reach through the pics and feel the quality.

Mack just took this pic of my own personal belt that I wear daily. I don't remember how old it is, years. This is water buffalo top lined with a Horween latigo. Bout bullet proof. I was experimenting with seven holes on 3/4" centers for carrying a pistola instead of five at 1". Personally I don't find it makes much diff. Anyhoo wanted ya to see this pic of the buckle hole:

km2CMJm.jpg

Even with all the use and abuse this belt has gone through, (I have never conditioned it by the way, a nuther lil experiment, I'm trying to kill it), there isn't much elongation on the hole. Want a solid belt? Lined and stitched is the way to go from quality materials. Heck my son used his to drag his cow elk back to camp:

PVO0qcy.jpg

Cowboying like he does, a guy could be in the middle of no where and have to get down because ya run into some clown.

3MtHkWP.jpg

So if there's no trees in this county to tie your horse too, a guy might have to hobble his horse so he can do whatever he needs to do like fix fence. Sometimes he'll forget the hobbles on one of his other saddles and he'll use his belt to hobble his horse. Hobbling is securing the horse's front feet so ya don't have a long walk back home. And ya wonder why they call it The Sagebrush Sea?
That, is impressive.
A belt like that is worth owning!

Here’s my Redmeadow belt that I wear 5 days a week since I got it (almost a year now). The hole has barely even changed, these oval holes make a huge difference in that. The belt has formed around the buckle (seen from side), but zero stretch.

6668FB42-AA53-4407-A9E9-12D28945060E.jpeg

EE4F8145-5391-42BC-864F-84C309C080E3.jpeg

As much as I enjoyed my Beltman belts for many years, my pair of Redmeadow belts (Big Country and City Slicker) are light years better!!! I am not sure you’ll find a better-made belt anywhere! :cool: 👍

Good to hear from you Jared, glad the belts workin out!

Been having some growing pains with the fit on these, I'm through it and we're full speed ahead on these.

Just cut up another side of the crazy horse and was about to cut up another and realized I don't think it's the color I ordered. I think this is actually.... dare I say it..... OXBLOOD! Aaaaaaa the brass of the leather world for me 😆 For those those of you that have been around for a while you know I'm kooky about certain things and had a good natured battle once with Melivin Purvis (I miss Shel) about my disdain for the color Oxblood. Contacted the supplier to see if I could confirm somehow the color but this looks like straight up oxblood.

The problem is that I like it and think it'll be nice on a belt! Imagine my surprise when I began to appreciate the rich reddish tone only to realize much later that what I was enjoying was most likely my nemesis leather color.

So here I sit with a side of Oxblood trying to decide between stickng to my stubbornness and sending this hideous beast back from whence it came, or admitting to myself that I... might... actually... like..... Oxblood....

I fear that I must yield and admit I was...... wrong.... maybe....

Back