Renaming the 25 to the Inkosi; what's changed?

I like mine, prob sell, but im eventually def going to want at least the micarta inlaid. Hell, if they came out with some other "metal" inlay, it would be extremely hard to resist lol. I love look of new inlays bigtime!

This clip that I ground works perfectly for my hands on the 25 and the small inkosi. Made a few of them for my different CRKs. Don't have the large yet as I feel great with these two. And yes the handle slabs will hinder the blade action if you squeeze hard due to the floating stop pin. I don't feel it's an issue on the small, but I may stick with the 25 for this reason with the larger size. I love the small inkosi!
Dave
9d762d26254747a4515f4ba741b889d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured the clip alone might do it for ya.

I don't know which direction Anne will take the inlays on the Inkosi but they never did do wood on the 25. I think it might be due to the shape of the inlay or just keeping the material selection consistent with the intended design. They brought out Damascus so maybe wood is in order one day.

Maybe they will bring out some more metal inlays to draw out the wallets.

It feels like the hype around the small is now absent when it comes to the large.

No. The clip mod I did on my 25 addressed that issue just fine, so I don't need the same knife with an angled clip, though I may very well find it works for me. I do like the look of the new inlays, and like variety, so might pick an inlayed one up later, if they are offered in wood.

What stole my fire on the Large was finding out they kept the blade stock the same as the 25. I don't pry open doors with my knives, so within reason, I personally enjoy the improved slicing ability, and lighter weight, of a thinner blade. To my sensibility, this trend towards thicker blades is not a trend towards better knives, just an exercise in psychology. I was hoping the Large Inkosi would move back towards the thickness of the 21, which I feel is a pretty good compromise. Just my opinion, sure there are many who disagree, which is why Strider and Medford etc manage to stay in business.

As far as Anne Reeve taking the company in some direction, I get the feeling she's been at the helm for some time. I am happy she's officially taken on the position, and think she is more than capable. I think its a change that came at the right time, as I feel the company was getting stagnant. I am excited to see what comes next.

Chris and Anne divorced back in December of 2014. Anne is now in charge of CRK. Chris is no longer involved with running the company.

The blades look to be very similar in length but I do not have measurements.

I didn't know this. That's too bad.

I hope the quality of the knives doesn't suffer due to Chris no longer running the company. I'm aware there's a dedicated thread on this. Just saying.

Last edited:
No. The clip mod I did on my 25 addressed that issue just fine, so I don't need the same knife with an angled clip, though I may very well find it works for me. I do like the look of the new inlays, and like variety, so might pick an inlayed one up later, if they are offered in wood.

What stole my fire on the Large was finding out they kept the blade stock the same as the 25. I don't pry open doors with my knives, so within reason, I personally enjoy the improved slicing ability, and lighter weight, of a thinner blade. To my sensibility, this trend towards thicker blades is not a trend towards better knives, just an exercise in psychology. I was hoping the Large Inkosi would move back towards the thickness of the 21, which I feel is a pretty good compromise. Just my opinion, sure there are many who disagree, which is why Strider and Medford etc manage to stay in business.

Ok, with both in hand, the clip mod you did won't be anything like the Inkosi. The pocket clip ends in a much different spot further up the base of the fingers, so for me, it's much less comfortable.

On the slicing thing, you might like this. The grind is noticeably deeper. That leads me to think it will slice much more like a 21 but still retain the thickness of the 25 above the grind. I can't get a pic with my phone, but with 2 Sebenza 25s comparing them against the Inkosi side by side, this is going to be a better slicer, less of a wedge for sure.

Because of the clip, I don't want to do any testing or anything with mine, will be up shortly on the exchange so I want to keep it NIB.

Just stumbled across this thread. Seems to me like the exposed grease pockets on the Large Inkosi's washers will be a pretty big deal, and a rather glaring oversight when compared to the specially designed grease pockets on the Small Inkosi to avoid this exact issue. Has CRK addressed this at all?

Just stumbled across this thread. Seems to me like the exposed grease pockets on the Large Inkosi's washers will be a pretty big deal, and a rather glaring oversight when compared to the specially designed grease pockets on the Small Inkosi to avoid this exact issue. Has CRK addressed this at all?

They dont make any announcements about any changes really. They just pop up on any given knife and someone posts a, "hey look at this" thread.

I dont see how they overlooked the exposed washer issue? One part of me is saying they designed it like that and they know what they're doing, and the other part is saying its a huge mess up.

They dont make any announcements about any changes really. They just pop up on any given knife and someone posts a, "hey look at this" thread.

I dont see how they overlooked the exposed washer issue? One part of me is saying they designed it like that and they know what they're doing, and the other part is saying its a huge mess up.

I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, I've never seen a CRK product I didn't love. This, however, seems to be an obvious gaffe. What's preventing dirt and debris from entering the pivot washer and jacking up your pivot? You may end up with grease on your pants as well...

According the photo in #17, CRK still use Chris Reeve's signature stamp in the birth paper in June of 2016.

Since Chris Reeve is not there for operation or company leadership role, why CRK is still using Chris Reeve's signature stamp in the paper? I don't like in this way and it sounds like cheating.

I am ok if CRK change that to Anne Reeve or others who actually handle the quality operation in CRK.

According the photo in #17, CRK still use Chris Reeve's signature stamp in the birth paper in June of 2016.

Since Chris Reeve is not there for operation or company leadership role, why CRK is still using Chris Reeve's signature stamp in the paper? I don't like in this way and it sounds like cheating.

I am ok if CRK change that to Anne Reeve or others who actually handle the quality operation in CRK.

I think they have an inventory of those manufacturing date cards that will last for years- almost all of them now have correction tape used to update the blade hardness. More than anything else I believe its a cost-savings for them. However, your point is well taken.

I'm happy to report that I ended up buying a Large Inkosi, and it has quickly become my favorite CRK. After my initial cleaning / re-lubing and loctiting the pivot to my liking, it is glass smooth. The finger grooves in the handle are perfect, and the ceramic ball / blade tang groove system creates an incredible lockup. Love it.

As far as the exposed washers go, it's not much of an issue if you clip-carry (as I do). The washers ride outside the pocket and avoid exposure. Carrying it in the bottom of your pocket could be an issue, though. Sand / dust / lint will inevitably get into the pivot.

I am going to venture to say that the moniker that is on the building is still Chris Reeve Knives.
Regardless of Chris' absense, retirement or otherwise, it was likely part of the legalese when Chris retired.. Do remember that Chris is still consulting for Chris Reeve Knives.

The open washers are a fail IMHO, compared to the small Inkosi. I don't know how they messed up that opportunity on this design.

I do like how solid the lockup feels with the ball groove on the blade tang compared to the 25.

I also like the extra rounding of the end of the tang where the ceramic ball glides off the tang, making it a little easier/smoother to close.

The pocket clip I feel is hit or miss, but I do appreciate that it doesn't rest on the lockbar.

I like the floating stop pin design.

However, the one thing that really bugs me is the second finger groove chamfering on the lock side doesn't match the show side. It makes it look unfinished to me. I hate it. Lol

The small Inkosi is great! Overall I think they didn't quite nail it on this one. I hope they will update it. One can hope, right?

Also, bring on the petition for a medium sized version!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Apparently the "groove" you spoke of has been discontinued on the new runs (Large and Small). There's a thread about it on BF. CRK says they found there was no difference with or without.

Doesn't seem right to me but I don't make knives. I wanted a Large Inkosi too but now I'm not too sure. I do have the Small Inkosi and like it very much...it has the "groove" in the blade tang glad I bought it when I did.

I just don't see how the lock could be as strong w/o the groove.

BHYDE...It probably has something to do with their settlement (who got what) with your thinking shouldn't the brand be ARK or maybe even a step further to whatever her maiden name is? I understand your logic though.
Benchmade came out with a knife lately 698 I believe and they "claim" it to be their own design (it's copy of the Elishewitz designed 690 except for the lock) BM and Elishewitz had parted ways and BM isn't allowed to use his name anymore. I was upset that BM was stealing his design and not giving credit where credit is due until I found this out. I still bugs me none the less (I still think they stole his design) haha

There have been several post predicting "float and jetsam";) getting in the exposed washers of the large Inkosi and causing problems. A couple of post worried about grease from these exposed washer getting on your pocket:eek:. Has anyone so far actually suffered from these predictions to any degree? Be honest now.

BHYDE...It probably has something to do with their settlement (who got what) with your thinking shouldn't the brand be ARK or maybe even a step further to whatever her maiden name is? I understand your logic though.
Benchmade came out with a knife lately 698 I believe and they "claim" it to be their own design (it's copy of the Elishewitz designed 690 except for the lock) BM and Elishewitz had parted ways and BM isn't allowed to use his name anymore. I was upset that BM was stealing his design and not giving credit where credit is due until I found this out. I still bugs me none the less (I still think they stole his design) haha

Unlikely. This is getting a bit far fetched. Chris Reeve left the company before the release of the Inkosi. He was apparently part of the team than designed it, but as a consultant. Ownership of the design is likely with CRK (the company) and it is also a stretch to assume this divorce is contested, or the subject of some sort of conflict surrounding the company. My understanding, from the unsubstantiated rumours, is Chris was happy to be done with it and is enjoying his well-deserved retirement. I highly doubt he is preventing CRK from milling a groove in a blade tang as a copyright issue. If he is, than that is a sad state he's in.

You can think of this in many different ways, right wrong, or indifferent, the name remains. It's not unusual at all for founders of companies to leave for various reasons but the name of the company remains unchanged.

Back