Rough-Forged Traveler's Celt Test Piece

I agree.
And people with a different perspective are part of that diversity.

But why have sub-forums at all if your going to just throw what ever homemade project into what ever forum you pick.

There is a homemade knife forum.
That is what I was referring to.

And he's Hawking it as a multi-tool ,so thats why I reference that.
He keeps being offended when anyone compares it to a hatchet, so why post here?
It's a homemade gizmo, by his own promotion.
As I said previously , the other fringe threads in this forum are at least vintage in nature.

He takes offense at any comment even percieved as negative.
If he had it in a homemade forum or a gizmo forum he might not receive the offending comment.

And when you post stuff in a public comment forum , guess what , your gonna get public comments and they may not all be leg humping in nature.
You will get differing opinions.

I have not personally attacked him at all and barely criticized his gizmo.
Only the choice of forum it was posted in.
This is all categorically incorrect.

A very large portion of this thread has been directly attacking the OP. Yes veiled in subtlety but direct attacks none the less.

I am BRAND spanking new here, and have come across a few threads like this. Not too many but when the civility/thought process fails here... It fails big time.

IMHO forums are a place to learn, and share ideas.
If you don't like a topic? STAY THE F OUT OF IT! Nothing will be gained (other than a bad reputation) by continuing animosity in a forum that is not about who can hurl crap longer.

I apologize to all the senior members here, and all the new members by not posting anything pertaining to the OP's original post.

G Gator39

Your suggestion has been made- The repetition of the argument doesn't make it anymore or any less valid-
Your moderation of this topic is done- leave it alone.

Keep the topic ON topic- let the mods decide if it needs to be moved or not. If you report it and it doesn't get moved, then I guess it's right where it belongs.

I read the original post and thought it was neat to see a Bronze Age axe pattern brought back. I am a sucker for antiquities, and I have seen this tool's inspiration in several museums. But I come back a few days later and the thread is filled with vitriol and ad hominem attacks--this is not the behavior I associate with the people who frequent this subforum. 42 brought in his new tool from the real world, and I don't see where all the high school sturm and drang is coming from. I give him a thumbs up for trying something out of the box. For the rest....I may actually have to look up how to use the Ignore function of the forum if this is a representative sample of the quality of discourse.

All I know is for some reason I find Knarfeng and bhyde unnerving...

And if RevDevil shows up then I am going back on my IBS meds...

"socket fit" in the making?

-------------------
Q. "How many did he sell?"

A. "I reckon he only Celt a few" :)

Prediction: Gator39 is a second (or third? fourth?) account of another known provocateur.

Anyhow, guys: There's a tool. I designed it. Myself and a few buddies are testing it. This isn't what the final design is supposed to look like, but it's close enough to mess around with. I'll post more pictures when I have the final version, whether you like it or not. And you'll be welcome to post your thoughts then, as well--whether I like it or not. :D :D :D

your tool sucks!

No, No, No, No..... just kidding! :)

The first thing that caught my eye was the clever handle in the first images, and as you state I can see dozens of potential uses.
Actually many more uses than a hatchet or similar.

My thinking is it covers everything from a skinner/fish knife to a tool you COULD build an entire shelter from. Then use it to clear land to plant a garden.
It's one of the most clever adaptations of old vs. new that I can recall seeing.

Actually it is because of tools like this that we survived as a species to be knockin' buttons on these magic talkie boxes.

Just sayin'

That's pretty much the idea of it. It's not going to compete with dedicated tools, but it's a "keep it simple, stupid" approach to having one tool that greatly opens the possibilities of what you can feasibly accomplish in a remote environment where you don't have access to a full workshop.

I like the notion though I've never used a "universal" tool like this, & just for the haters I was well aware of similar tools still used in Africa (& times gone by) so it most definitely interest me.
As far as not in the correct sub-section, well.......:confused:

For me it would need to be as short as resonably possible from the cutting edge to the top of the socket so when used like a axe or adze it'd be as short as possible.
I know in the original post photos you'd done a mock up but I think it would have looked much better with the end of the handle rounded off from the top of the socket backwards. Just my opinion ;)

Good luck with it, nice to see something a bit different. :thumbsup:

For me it would need to be as short as resonably possible from the cutting edge to the top of the socket so when used like a axe or adze it'd be as short as possible.

That was a particularly tricky aspect to balance. :thumbsup: I wanted the socket long enough to be usable as a grip when not hafted, yet needed the depth of the bit proper to also be deep enough to properly support the edge, which will be wider on the finished ones, and give a good reference surface when used as a chisel/slick. In order to keep the edge centered over time the flat face would need to be worked from time to time, and it would be necessary to work just the bit rather than the socket when doing so or else you could run into issues eventually. As such, the reference surface needed to be wholly in the bit. Some sort of shallow hollow grind on that side (like on Japanese chisels) might make sense, to reduce the amount of surface area when honed.

Have you considered centering the edge and making it with a double bevel? What it would lose in value as a slick it would gain in use as a hatchet or wedge. And I think it would still work fine as a bark spud and even as an adze.

It would also be harder to maintain as a tool.
It's rather difficult to double bevel on a rock. With a single bevel you could literally drag it down the face of a boulder, and get a near razor edge.
Just my thought...

Being able to pare and chisel with it is actually a very significant boon, and the negative is minimized by centering the edge with the socket. It would really take quite a lot of wear before you'd have to work the backside at all to recenter the edge, especially when stoning it to remove any burr. If you wanted it double beveled, all you need to do is add a bevel on the flat face and call it a day. But it's a lot harder to convert it the other way. ;)

I've been distracted with other things lately, but I have to express my position on this. I like the tool and idea. I will not buy one for logging, but it looks like a neat tool for camping. Until a couple of years ago, I thought tomahawks were useless for anything but throwing, until I got one to use for camping type stuff. I found it space efficient and capable, as long as I thought through what I was hoping to do and worked with the tool I had. In my opinion, the Celt falls into the same category, which is not shocking since its roots are in times and cultures where people likely have only one metal tool.

So, I don't understand the vitriol in this thread. I can see the Celt useful as axe for tomahawk scale stuff, as a trenching tool, chisel for notching, etc., And I know if given a chance it would reveal even more uses.

I don't know much about Celtic socket axes but here is a traditional Japanese woodworking rendition that looks like a similar concept.
chona1.jpg

I don't need a Celtic socket axe but there are a couple of other sites I can PM people where they are REEEEEAL strict about only posting axes if anyone wants.

BTW, FortyTwoBlades - if you think that is the case with multiple accounts any one of our moderators, Super Moderators, or STAFF MEMBERS watching this can easily search the associated ip address with a user name through CPanel access or whatever it's called with this forum software. It will list user names and the associated address- one ip runs out with more than one account... I would guess after the recent switch-over it's still pretty fresh for some of them.

Bet they would gladly make sure that ip is banned. Also, I wouldn't piss LEGION 12 LEGION 12 off.

I am pretty sure the "common man" here running multiple live accounts is frowned upon. That really is a shifty thing in and of itself if that's what it takes for someone to share here...

"When you can wear a mask it doesn't change your voice"

Last edited:
I ended up stumbling upon Japanese adzes back when I was originally developing the concept a few years ago. I had already established the main concepts of it, but it was need seeing such a closely analogous form in a dedicated traditional adze.

Very cool to see the Japanese adzes. It's a different approach in handling the tool. You could adjust the angle of the handle by adjusting how the lashing is done, as opposed to having to find a branch that is growing at the correct angle. I would hazard a guess without having one in hand that the handles are fairly lithe and working with one would be a matter of taking small bites out of the wood.

Back