Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

They have even posted the correction on the product description page for the knives in question.

"We were just made aware that there was a factory error with these knives, and they have been incorrectly tang stamped as stainless steel due to these being the first non-stainless knives this particular factory had ever produced."

Aren't the Rough rider carbon knives just rebranded Colt carbon after they lost the license? Those were made for years so how are they just putting this together?

Aren't the Rough rider carbon knives just rebranded Colt carbon after they lost the license? Those were made for years so how are they just putting this together?
They are re-branded Colt.
The problem might be they are being/were being assembled at a different factory (Colt at "factory A" Rough Rider at "factory B") when the Colt license was lost, manufacture was moved to the Rough Rider factory, and confusion arose there on how the blades were to be stamped?
I am glad to hear they truely are carbon steel blades.
Personally, I hope they bring out more patterns in carbon steel. The large stockman and half hawk, for instance.

20170531_205147.jpg

Just added this to my carry rotation. Gotta tell ya, I cannot believe the value I get with RR knives! I also ordered this same model in smooth white bone for my girlfriend.

So now that we do know that it truly is carbon steel, do we know whether or not it acts like traditional carbon steel (patina and what not)?

They have even posted the correction on the product description page for the knives in question.

That information was what I was referring to. They put it up in response to the review I had posted. Their reply is right below my review.

Anyone willing to verify that they truly are carbon steel? We've been going around and around on this for, like, a couple years now, and I've yet to see one of these knives that are indisputably carbon steel, because the descriptions were worded a little too ambiguously, and nobody was able to confirm first hand either way. The addition of that stupid titanium coating always seemed a bit like an obfuscation more than anything else. I mean, what kind of traditional knife nut gets a carbon steel blade with a coating such that it will not patina?

Anyone willing to verify that they truly are carbon steel? We've been going around and around on this for, like, a couple years now, and I've yet to see one of these knives that are indisputably carbon steel, because the descriptions were worded a little too ambiguously, and nobody was able to confirm first hand either way. The addition of that stupid titanium coating always seemed a bit like an obfuscation more than anything else. I mean, what kind of traditional knife nut gets a carbon steel blade with a coating such that it will not patina?
+5K :thumbsup::thumbsup: I could never figure out the decision to put a titanium coating on a carbon steel blade either, shecky! :confused: (Of course, that didn't stop me from buying one of the Colt carbon steel canoes, so I guess I'm an answer to your question... :rolleyes:)

- GT

I purchased the Bow Trapper in carbon a couple months ago. It got some pocket time today coincidentally. I too was confused by the "stainless" stamp. A little white vinegar on the cutting edge brought up a quick patina. So I do believe they are truly high carbon blades.

I can't help you on the verification part. I also view the titanium coating as a bit of a gimmick. But to be honest with you, I would rather knife blades look like they are brand new throughout their useful life. The patina on carbon blades is just one of those things I have to put up with.

Here are three Rough Rider canoes that I ordered back on March 31, but I haven't posted them here yet. I realize that it's now 2.5 months later, but when I order a batch of knives, I tend to "release" them gradually over time, so I can savor that "new knife experience" long after the initial excitement that accompanies the knives' arrival. ;)
A tortoise shell mini canoe:
M38pZK6.jpg

YR9f87g.jpg

A "Masonic" canoe in blue smooth bone:
yF2AhEh.jpg

xPaKt91.jpg

An elegant white bone canoe:
CGa3t7z.jpg

ZnDCPFD.jpg

- GT

Here's one that you don't see often. :) our kind BF resident traditional knifesmith Glennbad was kind enough to mod this improved muskrat pattern for me. I really love the pattern and didn't want to wait for another brand to produce it in a better handle material. So I ordered up some blond linen micarta which took its own hue in the polish process is how Glenn explained it. I'm pleased as punch though to have another user in the rotation.

Before

After

Here's one that you don't see often. :) our kind BF resident traditional knifesmith Glennbad was kind enough to mod this improved muskrat pattern for me. I really love the pattern and didn't want to wait for another brand to produce it in a better handle material. So I ordered up some blond linen micarta which took its own hue in the polish process is how Glenn explained it. I'm pleased as punch though to have another user in the rotation.

Before

After

That is very nice. It makes something really elegant out of what is already a very nice, handy pattern.

I stopped into the local knife store yesterday. He has a good selection of modern folders and fixed blades, but not a lot in traditionals except for some used items. (I'm still trying to make up my mind about an American-made 834UH he has there.) However, I did discover that he has some Rough Riders. I've been thinking about checking them out, so... Most of the patterns weren't to my liking, but he had five or six very attractive large trappers. That's a larger knife than I like and I have no idea what I'll do with one, but this trapper in jigged red bone was too nice not to take home. So far I'm very impressed and I know I'll want to try some of their other patterns! :thumbsup: I guess if nothing else I can use the clip to slice bread and the spey to spread peanut butter... ;) Otherwise, it's just a delight to handle and look at.

35761178565_70dd07b274_c.jpg

Back