SAK: Life after Alox?

I used to carry my Vic Tinker every single day before I discovered the alox Pioneer. Well, I decided to carry my Tinker today (for old time's sake :D) and discovered it just ain't up to snuff anymore. Very capable, very useful, classic look, but just not as enjoyable to carry as my Pioneer (alox just feels like a substantial leap in quality, imo.)

sak01.jpg

Anyone else have trouble going back to cellidor after experiencing alox models?

Thanks for reading! :)

-Brett

I have not and will not make the transition to Alox until they find a way to include a toothpick. No toothpick = dealbreaker.

I don't use the toothpick. So I always opt for Alox. I happened not to have bought any SAK's after my Alox farmer though. So you never know.

I have not and will not make the transition to Alox until they find a way to include a toothpick. No toothpick = dealbreaker.

I hear ya! I use the pick a lot (never as a toothpick, though) and find the tweezers very handy. I should have mentioned that I carry a Rambler on my keys...

core01.jpg

It's been a couple of years since I carried it. And I just remembered why. Opening the can opener darn near pulls my nail off. If I recall correctly I was using the farmer to knock some rust off of something at work and dinged up the liner that the can opener rides in. :( Time to send her in I think, I already tried sanding the liner. Though I may try some more.

Aside from the knife being smarter than me, but not as tough, I really like it, carried it for years.

To answer your question more thoroughly. No I don't think I would go back to the classic red plastic after using Alox. Part of what I like best is the slight traction that the Alox gives. It's also heavier and feels more substantial. Not to say that there is something wrong with the cellidor, it's proven itself over many years in many pockets.

Last edited:
Rich is on to something.

I'll have a tweezer, pen and pin with my SAK please. That means no Alox.

What a good problem to have! The alox is so much nicer looking that it almost makes up for the lack of extra tools. Then again, if cellidor is good enough for MacGyver, its good enough for me! I use my cellidor hiker on days when i play handyman, and the alox farmer is my hiking/camping buddy.

Anyone else have trouble going back to cellidor after experiencing alox models?

Yes, but in a reverse direction.

IMO, the history of the camper pattern knife is all about how many can be made for how little. And this leads to compromise. And the question becomes, what compromise are you will to live with?

This is what I grew up with. Got my first when I was 8. Still have several laying around. Made by Ulster, which got gobbled up by Imperial Schrade. They use the infamous (for good reason) Swinden Key construction, which lowered production cost but leads to lateral blade wobble eventually. The don't fail, but they wobble and you can't tighten them up easily.

Modified Ulster Camper by Pinnah, on Flickr

Of course, if you didn't like Ulster and wanted a cheap camper, back in the day you could get an Imperial Kamp King, which had hollow stamped metal scales, which eventually would dent and crack.

It's in this context that I understand the Victorinox (and Wegner) SAK's. They're made to be inexpensive knives and that means certain compromises. The flimsy plastic scales are one of those compromises and IME, they are incredibly flimsy. Of the 10 or so Vic Classics that I've owned over the years (almost all received as gifts) the scales all crack and then fall off. Also, the tweezers (which don't work well) and toothpick (which is disgusting) self eject, the blades wobble, the blade steel is too soft to hold an edge and the scissor spring bust. Other than that, they're cute little knives. On the larger ones, many that I handle have nail breaker tools on them. Enough already.

If I were to carry a camper style knife again, it be would an Ulster Camper. Even with the blade wobble, they're very durable and the quality of the carbon steel blade has ruined me against Victorinox's way too soft Inox. IMO, the single best thing Victorinox could do would be to increase the hardness of their blades to at least 56Rc. Would really prefer 58Rc, like Opinel's Inox (Sandvic 12C27).

Speaking of Opinel, this is what I've been carrying for several years now.

EDC Pair by Pinnah, on Flickr

Both the Opinel and Leatherman Micra are cheap knives/tools and so they too have compromises. With the Opinel, it is how crude they are out of the box. The lock, joint and handle all need attention usually. Some TLC turns them into fantastic knives but you need to invest some elbow grease. What you get though is a knife that will out perform any SAK in terms of cutting. It's all about the blade and the Opinel's is way, way, way better imo.

And the Micra.... The Micra's problem is that it has all of the charm and warmth of a Vulcan art gallery. They're stamped out with soulless precision. But man o man, they work. There's not a single aspect of the tool selection that they don't win out over any of the Vic SAKs on. The scissors are infinitely better. The screwdrivers, work. The nail file is awesome. And the tweezers actually work and work incredibly better than the SAKs if you know how to tune them up on a sharpening stone (takes seconds).

So yes... once I experienced other knives and once I tried plastic scaled SAKs, it's a no brainer for me.

I love my Spartan! Been some version of a red-scaled SAK in my pants pocket for the past 48 years. But were there an alox version (with corkscrew/toothpick and tweezers) available I'd have one in a heartbeat. I don't open bottles of wine very often but the corkscrew gets daily use anyway and I'd miss having it. Toothpick and tweezers also get daily workouts especially when I work on small engines.

If the lack of tweezers/toothpick are all that's keeping someone from an Alox SAK, why not also carry a Cellidor-handled Classic, Rambler, Executive, etc.? Any one of those takes up so little space. Problem solved. I actually prefer the small SAKs with the Cellidor scales over, say, the Alox Classic.

Even though I love Alox, as far as standard-sized SAKs go, I still use my Tinker a lot around the house. I'm also planning to try out a Bantam at some point.

Jim

@Jim: you nailed it. That's what I do, more or less. TSA got my classic, so I'm back to Tinker for now, but I prefer the classic.

If the lack of tweezers/toothpick are all that's keeping someone from an Alox SAK, why not also carry a Cellidor-handled Classic, Rambler, Executive, etc.? Any one of those takes up so little space. Problem solved. I actually prefer the small SAKs with the Cellidor scales over, say, the Alox Classic.

I agree! I would not trade my cellidor Vic Rambler for an alox version either. In fact, I recently picked up a Leatherman PS4 to try out and I can't seem to bring myself to swap out the Rambler. Maybe I'll end up adding the PS4 to my setup but the idea was to keep things minimal... :eek:

But as far as full-sized SAKs go for EDC, I prefer alox. If I couldn't have my little keychain SAK, I'd be tempted to reconsider...

Thanks to all for the replies! :)

-Brett

I agree! I would not trade my cellidor Vic Rambler for an alox version either. In fact, I recently picked up a Leatherman PS4 to try out and I can't seem to bring myself to swap out the Rambler. Maybe I'll end up adding the PS4 to my setup but the idea was to keep things minimal... :eek:

But as far as full-sized SAKs go for EDC, I prefer alox. If I couldn't have my little keychain SAK, I'd be tempted to reconsider...

Thanks to all for the replies! :)

-Brett

Of the Leatherman products, I think the Micra is a better replacement for the Vic Classic or Rambler than the PS4 Squirt is.

image by Pinnah, on Flickr

This picture doesn't show it well, but the PS4 is thick and short, making it worse to carry in the pocket and less useful to hold. In contrast, the Micra can be opened up when using the knife blade, which actually is pretty comfortable for whittling and other cutting tasks where a firmer grip is better. The only thing the PS4 has going for it is the pliers. I keep my PS4 in my backpacking repair kit for driving needles through heavy cloth. But for EDC, the Micra wins, hands down.

IMO, the only thing the Micra gives up over the Victorinox Classic/Rambler is the <stifles a mouth vomit> toothpick. I've got dental work appropriate for my age and carry a small pack of disposable flosser/picks. Nice and fresh and new each time. Keep them in my desk, car console and backpack. For me, this a fine trade off in terms of durability. If you expand that picture, you'll see that the Vic Classic is pretty spent. The red Micra is actually older and has been carried longer and is infinitely better shape (note, I cut the blade off that one to get through TSA security).

I use the plastic pick mostly for cleaning the lint out of my folders. Never touches my mouth... yuck, indeed! :D

-Brett

Ah... That's one of the things I use the eyeglass sized flat head driver on the Micra's bottle opener. Useful for scraping in tight spots and good for cleaning when wrapped in a bandana. Lo and behold, it does a great job on tiny screwdrivers too!

I like both. But I prefer Alox more. The red cellidur scales are great on smaller knives like the Classic. The Spartan/Tinker is nice too, but definitelly not as cool as an alox version of any of them. Unfortunatelly there´s no production alox with scissors - except the alox Classic (there I prefer cellidur, though)

I carry a Classic on my keychain everyday - not really a knife that counts imo - more an item added just there... I don´t know why, but that´s it.

Alox is better in general - cellidur is ok for me.

A Climber in Alox would be great :D

Back