SAK: Life after Alox?

So many options... with perfection so hard to nail. My first alox, a Pioneer just arrived, had to have at least one. The rest are cellidor or nylon. The addition of toothpick, tweezers, and pen in my plus models is a no brainer. But, the Alox makes for a thin knife and the finish probably wears better. I noticed some nylon 91mm scales on Ebay, so I might get some. But, then you can't have pen or straight pin. (Seldom needed as may be.) And the scissors on my super tinker are nice.

In conclusion, just keep rotating your SAK carry for what you think youll need. :)
P9130004_zpsf789a995.jpg

So, time will tell if my Alox pioneer sways opinion.

Bringing this back from the depths ... here´s my ALOX collection so far, but there´s a Back Pioneer originally packed and a Wenger SI originally blistered in a box in my basement ... just for the case :D :p

... and I still don´t have a standart Vic Cadet with the ring :grumpy: but this may change over time...

What a great collection Andi!!!!!!! I had no idea you had so many!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Woohoo - that´s a bunch of the Old Cross! Great great collection :)

Thanks for the kind words about my accumulation. Everytime I see one on the Bay I try to get it. Mostly because I fear that they will be discontinued some day and then it´s over with these rocksolid little buggers. So I try to get them and take 'em on my as "To-Go-Knives" :)

(When I don´t know which knife to carry for the day - an ALOX is never a bad decision) :D

Woohoo - that´s a bunch of the Old Cross! Great great collection :)

Thanks for the kind words about my accumulation. Everytime I see one on the Bay I try to get it. Mostly because I fear that they will be discontinued some day and then it´s over with these rocksolid little buggers. So I try to get them and take 'em on my as "To-Go-Knives" :)

(When I don´t know which knife to carry for the day - an ALOX is never a bad decision) :D

Thanks Andi! Ever since the fire, I realized that those 93mm ALOX are ones I never want to be without and yes, I too have heard rumblings that at some point, they may be discontinued.

My suggestion... put a Mercator Cat, a Camillus Army knife (stainless scales) and an original Leatherman (or Micra) in a bag and shake it vigorously.

All this to say that I think Leatherman would be well placed to challenge Victorinox for the metal-scaled multi-purpose market if they wanted to. Put a classic Leatherman next to Mercator Cat.

While I prefer my Alox models, especially the Rancher, I still carry a Tinker, Climber or a Sparton quite often although all my cellidor models have had the scales swapped out to nylon. Nylon feels so much better and more substantial than cellidor, plus is doesn't shot every single little scratch!

Thought I was done buying cellidor... until I found the Vic Compact! Very nice Tinker-sized EDC SAK. I'd prefer an awl over the all-purpose hook but otherwise, the Compact has a spectacular selection of tools that I commonly use in a relatively small package. No pics yet.

-Brett

I still like cellidor ok, carrying a Recruit today....I should carry the cellidor models more often.

Alox has been my best liked models for years now although I've kinda been neglecting it lately. Have to correct that. I moved over to the Electrician from a Soldier, to get another blade as I never needed the can opener anyway. Then I've had a couple modded to add a small pen blade instead of an eblade. Add the Minichamp and I've four blades with a good AAA light. And still have the toothpick & tweezers.
Be prepared. :)

Well, there is life after Cellidor...my 30+ year old SAK Passenger has been to more countries than Carter's got pills, and she's semi-retired, waiting for new scales from overseas in my quest to refurbish this old classic....

...that said, I've put away all my Case knives save for the Case Sod Buster Jr, and the new SAK Pioneer, both which will be my EDC for the next several months. While I always appreciated the utility of my old SAK, I have come to appreciate the superb build quality of the Alox line, and how inexpensive they really are...

Well, there is life after Cellidor...my 30+ year old SAK Passenger has been to more countries than Carter's got pills, and she's semi-retired, waiting for new scales from overseas in my quest to refurbish this old classic....

...that said, I've put away all my Case knives save for the Case Sod Buster Jr, and the new SAK Pioneer, both which will be my EDC for the next several months. While I always appreciated the utility of my old SAK, I have come to appreciate the superb build quality of the Alox line, and how inexpensive they really are...

:thumbup::thumbup:

And they are beautiful to me!!!!

2Farmers1open2_zps26e7c1a5.jpg

Hey, I have one of those Passengers too! Neat little knife...the forerunner to the Explorer!

I cleaned up the Passenger last night and was pleasantly surprised how near mint the blades, and the rest of the tools, are considering what this knife has been through over the past 32+ years....

....and it still slices paper; I don't believe I've ever sharpened her.

Last edited:
That looks great. SAKs can be cleaned very well, probably because of the polished steel. Put some new scales on them and they're almost like new.

That looks great. SAKs can be cleaned very well, probably because of the polished steel. Put some new scales on them and they're almost like new.

Yes, I ordered some scales from a Euro concern...will take a millennium to get here, and the shipping was more than the cost of the scales; in black BTW. Which reminds me, the Passenger is listed as 91mm, but it is identical in size to my 93mm Pioneer...I do hope I get the correct scales.:confused:

Yes, I ordered some scales from a Euro concern...will take a millennium to get here, and the shipping was more than the cost of the scales; in black BTW. Which reminds me, the Passenger is listed as 91mm, but it is identical in size to my 93mm Pioneer...I do hope I get the correct scales.:confused:

91mm is the correct size but I wouldn't be a friend if I didn't remind you that your Passenger is a collectable model and before you swap out the scales, you might consider an Explorer to use and save that one back. :) You gain scissors in the deal too! :thumbup:

It's none of my beeswax of course! :D

Back