SAK: Life after Alox?

I agree, I like the feel of the Alox better but would also hate to lose the toothpick and tweezers so I carry, at least, two in my pocket all the time, the Red Excecutive, great knife one of my OLDEST knives that I've ever owned! and a Pioneer Harvester in Alox, also a real go to knife for that curved blade, handy when cutting tye wraps from a wire bundle or boxes or just about anything you'd need to cut with some care so you don't poke it too far and cut something you shouldn't have! The top knife is a nice stag scaled Le Compagnon by Chambriard out of Thiers France, lovely knife too, on my belt as I type ;) while the other two are in my right front pocket. The Executive is in a small leather slip sheath to help keep pocket gremlins out of the works...

daily.jpg

G2

My first SAK had tweezers and tooth pick, you just expect them always there. Especially since I have been carrying one since the mid '70's. So most days it's a 02 Soldier and a Rambler, best of both worlds!

another vote for combo carry. I usually carry a farmer or camper along side a classic SD. That way I get scissors, tweezers and toothpick, plus a small file in addition to my main knife's tools.

Alex is superior in the tool configurations they have. But cellidor models can have so many more options. I have a cyber tool in my pocket now. I wish there was at least an Alex model with scissors, or dare I say pliers.

I like both scale options, but prefer alox. Even with losing the back tools and toothpick/tweezer and possibly a writing pen and pushpin. The alox just feels better in the hand and the wear from use/carry makes the knife look better with age. The cellidor looks like crap after they get scratched up. I also like the bigger blades and the inline awl associated with alox. The one big downside to alox is Victorinox does not produce a 93mm with scissors. I always have a classic on me so its not a huge issue. You can always mod one to add scissors as well.

Rich is on to something.

I'll have a tweezer, pen and pin with my SAK please. That means no Alox.

Compact model all the way.
I have an alox classic on my keys and i carry the money clip here n there. I love the feel of the Alox but my need for tweezers and straight pin override the slick cool metal. I'm usually all over all metal items too. Especially pens, but being a machinist, i encounter metal slivers in my hands a lot and I'm not always at my tool box to grab my swiss champ. The pen and toothpick are handy but not used as often.

I like both scale options, but prefer alox. Even with losing the back tools and toothpick/tweezer and possibly a writing pen and pushpin. The alox just feels better in the hand and the wear from use/carry makes the knife look better with age. The cellidor looks like crap after they get scratched up. I also like the bigger blades and the inline awl associated with alox. The one big downside to alox is Victorinox does not produce a 93mm with scissors. I always have a classic on me so its not a huge issue. You can always mod one to add scissors as well.

Even though cellidor shows wear more readily than alox, that's only a cosmetic issue. It holds up well enough for me. In decades, I've only once replaced them any of mine, and that was because I wanted plus scales for the pen and needle slots. I'd love an inline awl, but not enough to give up scissors, tweezers, toothpick, needle and pin for one. Whenever I carry a scissorsless SAK or Leatherman, I couple it with a Micra for the supplement rather than a Classic because the scissors on that are too small. My biggest gripe with Victorinox is that they don't make anything in the 58 mm-ish size with competitive scissors. If Leatherman can manage a number of keychain models with decent sized scissors, why can't Vic?

I've got 2 Bantams coming in from DealExtreme..if they ever get here, and a couple of Alox Solos on the way..DAMN SAK itch:D
Right now, on the job, I've got an Old Cross Red Alox Solo (pocket) and a 2011 Soldier on me ( Duty Belt)

Even though cellidor shows wear more readily than alox, that's only a cosmetic issue. It holds up well enough for me. In decades, I've only once replaced them any of mine, and that was because I wanted plus scales for the pen and needle slots. I'd love an inline awl, but not enough to give up scissors, tweezers, toothpick, needle and pin for one. Whenever I carry a scissorsless SAK or Leatherman, I couple it with a Micra for the supplement rather than a Classic because the scissors on that are too small. My biggest gripe with Victorinox is that they don't make anything in the 58 mm-ish size with competitive scissors. If Leatherman can manage a number of keychain models with decent sized scissors, why can't Vic?

Your definitely right about the wear on cellidor being just cosmetic. I just love the look of worn alox. I guess my needs are different in that my scissor cutting task are almost always accomplished with the 58mm scissors on my classic. I dont need scissors in a alox model, but really wish Victorinox would offer scissors in there 93mm alox models or any alox model for that matter. To my knowledge the only currently produced alox model with scissors is the classic. I too couldn't get by without the toothpick and tweezers which is why I always have a classic on me, but if I change my EDC to not carry a classic I will carry a Style PS which has scissors and tweezers. I cut the nub off a VIC toothpick and just slipped it in my wallet in case I ever dont have one on a knife.

I don't quite agree that VIC doesn't offer competitive scissors. The 91mm scissors compared the those of the Micra are very similar in size. The difference is in how you use them. Obviously the micra you squeeze with the hand and VIC scissors you use your thumb. I guess its just preference.

I don't quite agree that VIC doesn't offer competitive scissors. The 91mm scissors compared the those of the Micra are very similar in size. The difference is in how you use them. Obviously the micra you squeeze with the hand and VIC scissors you use your thumb. I guess its just preference.

Scissors on the 91 mm models are best of all, but what I meant was competitive scissors in a keychain sized knife, comparing Micra to Classic, for example.

Timberweasel I have owned and carried Alox and plastic handed Swiss Army Knife and I have no real difference between them. BTW I own a tinker and it is my primary EDC. I will be getting a Pioneer SAK for my birthday from my mom and I will carry it and see how it compares to carrying my tinker.

Discovered a new capability on my EDC ALOX Pioneer!

The ALOX Hobo Special! :thumbup: Allows you to smoke that last nickel's worth of your cigar. :D

ALOXAdvantage_zpsdea44bc1.jpg

Back