Schrade SCHF42 - Followup review.

That sharp step where the blade meets the ricasso is not good. It will cause a stress concentration under weak axis bending that could lead to fracture. Now if the blade is a steel such as 1095, and not hardened very high, it might survive OK.

That sharp step where the blade meets the ricasso is not good. It will cause a stress concentration under weak axis bending that could lead to fracture. Now if the blade is a steel such as 1095, and not hardened very high, it might survive OK.

This is one of the things I was talking about when I said they did not have the tooling to do the grind as I drew it. As drawn it had a radius plunge more like the that of the Tibo design I did for TOPS, which is a radius inside a radius...

10523222_820460757976562_7151463836424083648_o.jpg

That said, it is something we discussed, and though it is hard to see in these photos, neither the inside or outside of that grind is actually 90 degree angle. The inside is radiused, albeit a tighter radius than I would have liked, and the outside edge is also slightly broken. It is 1095 steel, and at RC58.

DSC_5445.jpg

885974_839977752691529_7489744359507191717_o.jpg

I had some concerns about it initially, and yes it is technically weaker than I would have liked. But the first thing I did was send five of them to different people I trusted to test them hard up to and including slightly beyond what could be considered reasonable expectation of the design. We all came to the conclusion that the only way there would be a failure would be if their was an issue with the steel, and issue with the heat treat, or abuse beyond reasonable expectations. I was a little worried at first when I sent one to Len McDougall for the initial tests after the abuse he put the SCHF9 I designed through, but I wanted to know how it would do. So far of the 4000 sold to date I have seen one failure and I have it, and there was an inclusion in the steel. I just wish they would actually tighten and lock tite the handle screws at the factory, but since so far many folks are switching to the micarta, the fact that they do not may be a blessing in disguise.

Thank you for the update on the SCHF42D. I'm really looking forward to the release of this knife. I own two of the 42's both with micarta scales. That's an option Schrade should officer with their knives. That grivory is a slippery joke. Not fond of the leather sheath either. All of these knife makers need to come to their senses and offer kydex sheaths with their knives. Guess I'll be having one made by Yellowhawk.

Thank you for the update on the SCHF42D. I'm really looking forward to the release of this knife. I own two of the 42's both with micarta scales. That's an option Schrade should officer with their knives. That grivory is a slippery joke. Not fond of the leather sheath either. All of these knife makers need to come to their senses and offer kydex sheaths with their knives. Guess I'll be having one made by Yellowhawk.

I agree, the design was drawn with micarta in mind and to me nothing else would have worked as well. I have never been overly fond of grivory and I know I'm not alone or there wouldn't be so many micarta and G10 after market options for knives that come with it. I have played with the 42 and 42D and I'll stick with the re-curve personally but I know why others would prefer straight edges. It all depends on early influences and uses. In south Florida I fell in love with the geometry of the first smaller recurve I got to use. Chris Mari at Red Hill sheaths has one of the earliest 42s in house for sheath making for me and I will send him a 42D when they come out as well. Personally I prefer the quietness of leather and was a big fan of Schrades earlier brown leather sheaths from the 70s and 80s. In my experiences it has always been much easier for me to find a kydex maker when I wanted a kydex sheath than to find the right leather bender when I wanted a leather sheath. After years of looking for the right leather bender I just spent almost $150 having a nice leather sheath made for my Spartan / Harsey Hunter. The model I am really looking forward to trying out now is the 55. I drew it up with 5/32 in mind, but that didn't go over well so I am curious to see how it transfers to 3/16 thickness. It should do well for the majority of Schrades market and I don't mind over-built knives myself as long as they still cut well.

Just saw an update for the SCHF42D from Schrade on Sept. 23.

The Brian Griffin SCHF42D is a reality, however this item is not available to the public yet and will not be available for several months!

I just got my 42D today and will have a review coming! It is absolutely beautiful!!!

Just saw an update for the SCHF42D from Schrade on Sept. 23.

I saw that too, right after being sent photos of the finished product. I was confused myself. Then I was told the PR person was going off the official list of released for 2016 and the 42D is on that list. However the SCHF42D will not be held until the Feb release with other new models, it will start being shipped to dealers as soon as it came in and that was maybe a month away now.

I just got my 42D today and will have a review coming! It is absolutely beautiful!!!

Thank you. I personally lean much more to the re-curve myself, spending so much time in the deep south and semi-tropics, but I am curious to see how the 42D handles and how others feel about it.

Is that the original edge Jim?

I got a SCHF42 the other week. It is my only Schrade fixed knife. As for features I do not like recurved blades or even jimping, but this one has grown on me. I did sharpen it after a day of use in the warehouse just cuz, as has been said, it is more geared toward woodsy-type abuse and not just your general utility. It sharpens up nice but still not a dedicated slicer.

The design element that I just love is the grip. One of the most comfortable grips I have ever used. I love it and cannot wait for the SE brown handle version. I will be checking the web every day until I see it.

Definitely one of the best blades in this size/weight category. :thumbup:

Is that the original edge Jim?

I got a SCHF42 the other week. It is my only Schrade fixed knife. As for features I do not like recurved blades or even jimping, but this one has grown on me. I did sharpen it after a day of use in the warehouse just cuz, as has been said, it is more geared toward woodsy-type abuse and not just your general utility. It sharpens up nice but still not a dedicated slicer.

The design element that I just love is the grip. One of the most comfortable grips I have ever used. I love it and cannot wait for the SE brown handle version. I will be checking the web every day until I see it.

Definitely one of the best blades in this size/weight category. :thumbup:

Thank you sir! I am glad you like the feel of it. I know re-curves aren't everyone's thing. I'm glad it has grown on you. I was told the SE version wouldn't be available for about another month so checking daily shouldn't be necessary :)

I'm pretty sure Jim did the testing with the factory edge, but he should chime in soon.

Thank you sir! I am glad you like the feel of it. I know re-curves aren't everyone's thing. I'm glad it has grown on you. I was told the SE version wouldn't be available for about another month so checking daily shouldn't be necessary :)

I'm pretty sure Jim did the testing with the factory edge, but he should chime in soon.

Yes, it was the factory edge because that's how most people would be using it, right out of the box.

Many thanks Ankerson for the review. Once again, MistWalker, I appreciate the updates on the SCHF42D.

Many thanks Ankerson for the review. Once again, MistWalker, I appreciate the updates on the SCHF42D.

I have been seeing promotional photos of the finished product popping up here and there, so it shouldn't be long now.

I can't wait to get out of my cast so I can try this thing out a little bit more

Depending on how long that takes, there may be another one or two to check out by then :)

12087750_988814691141167_469672819147123632_o.jpg

12068597_988814634474506_7756305473913492442_o.jpg

12095120_989889714366998_4360516693064045319_o.jpg

Oh my, I definitely look forward to adding that bottom knife to my collection, I can tell you that right now. :thumbup:

I have been seeing promotional photos of the finished product popping up here and there, so it shouldn't be long now.

Depending on how long that takes, there may be another one or two to check out by then :)

12087750_988814691141167_469672819147123632_o.jpg

12068597_988814634474506_7756305473913492442_o.jpg

12095120_989889714366998_4360516693064045319_o.jpg

Wow, love the drop point. So clean. I was never a huge fan of the recurve. The simple drop point really flows with the lines better. Much more attractive.

Wow, love the drop point. So clean. I was never a huge fan of the recurve. The simple drop point really flows with the lines better. Much more attractive.

Meh, you know how it is. We all have our own preferences on curvature :D

Yet another teaser for us the SCHF55. :) So what are the specs on the SCHF55?

The 55 is 7.7-inches over all, and has a 3.5-inch blade. But 3/16 1095 like it's bigger brothers. There is a smaller thinner one in the works also. Then later the biggest brother :)

Forgive me if I overlooked it but who makes the micarta handles for these? Awesome design by the way.

Back