Sell me on your EDC pen

I've used one of these for years - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E103CY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 - it's a variation of the Fisher Space Pen. I also have a couple vintage Parker Jotters for "dress-up", but my new favorite is one of these - https://smoothprecisionpens.com/products/smooth-bolt-action-pen-2-1?variant=39997118677126 - I don't know why these haven't taken over the EDC pen world. They are very price competitive, the quality is outstanding as is the feel, and they use a wide variety of refills. To me, their bolt action design blows the others I've seen out of the park, and the action is as smooth as the finish on the pens. But beware! He keeps coming out with special limited editions that make me drool, these could be dangerous to your wallet! Coincidentally, he invites you to hie Facebook group once you buy and it seems many of his buyers are also knife nuts - I've seen some seriously gorgeous knives pictured there. Sorry for no pics, but it's late and I'm tired

Sheaffer Reminder Clip .. Got them from the 50's on up .. They recently ( last few years ) brought them back .

Free pen from bank. Twist for point out. Cannot seem to break. Cannot seem to loose. Gave up on Fisher Space pen and similar after loosing multiple. Every time I go to the bank I get another. Must have enough to last for at least 14 more years.

I've tried various versions of tacticool pens, and a Smith & Wesson aluminum pen was my go-to pen for many years. It's still in my backpack in my car, with a Fisher cartridge. Then I found the County Comm titanium EDC pen and can't put it down. I'm on my 3rd Fisher cartridge. Will likely catch up to the 6+ I used up on the s&w so far.

Piece of cake.

And they are disposable. And you can get them in all the colours. And they just last for ages.

And you can buy refills.

The interesting thing about a pen that works when it is frozen. Is that if it was a metal pen. Your fingers would fall off if you tried to use it.

Last edited:
I've taken a Zebra F-701 pen and inserted a Fisher cartridge. In this pic is my converted 701, a 701 mechanical pencil and a pocket screwdriver I've had for well over 10 years.

Attachments

• 20230324_140541.jpg
    20230324_140541.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 10
My EDC pen (and pencil) is the Zebra F-701. All stainless steel, which is nice working in a hospital it can be easily disinfected with anything. Comes with a fine point filler, but can be replaced with Fisher refills. As a pen it's great! As a compliance tool of last resort it works very well - I worked security in the hospital for a couple of years and used it in our psychiatric unit (where weapons were prohibited) several times to, um...modify the behavior of non-compliant patient. It would make a more than adequate stabbing instrument as well, if that was ever needed. The beauty of it is that it looks like a pen...nothing "tactical" about it. I've carried it aboard airplanes both domestically and internationally, into courtrooms and many many other NPEs (non-permissive environments) without a second look - heck, my flashlight has gotten more attention! And they're cheap! Under $15 for the set on Amazon. I think they're the best deal going :)
PiqrvxC.jpg

This is what I have with me today. Copper Tactile Turn bolt action is at home, but it’s another nice one.

The Big Idea Design bolt action is the most versatile - haven’t found a refill yet that won’t fit in it. It’s currently got a Pilot G2 in it.

The Nottingham Tactical is a great size for the pocket. It’s the 5” size that takes Parker refills. Machined perfectly, light weight, very tough.

The wooden pen was made by my buddy Dopic1 Dopic1 . The wood is spalted tamarind. It’s a work of art and I’m never without it.

1682433224237.jpeg

I've always used cheap and replaceable plastic pens. However, they got pinched quite often.

I wanted something that people won't just pick up and put it away, so I got a solid brass pen first, but that was even too heavy and cumbersome for me.

The Rovyvon Commander C10 is made of Titanium, takes all kinds of refills, and still has some heft to it. If someone in the office just takes it by mistake, they don't like it, as it is still quite heavy.

It is a good and solid pen, did not cost me a fortune and if I ever need to break something, or need to enhance an argument, it's quite handy.

View attachment 2104845
I EDC that same pen! I've actually considered getting another just to have a back up in case I ever do lose it. It's not a pen for alot of writing at one time, but near perfect for the 50 or sixty times a day I need to jot down a name or date of birth at my job. Fisher or parker refills, so tons of options. Heavy duty without looking like a weapon so no problem on planes. Titanium, so it is easy to anodize different colors. (mine is blueish purple.) Glass breaker on the back, not that I've ever needed one, but it appeals to the kid in me. The bolt action is fidget friendly.

I actually EDC more than one pen. (I carry more than one knife too...) For writing alot, I like the Stainless Parker Jotter. Uses the same ink cartridges. Classy, relatively inexpensive, comfortable for writing, and reliable. (You can get the one with gold clip for a tiny bit more money if you want) ($13 or so online) I've also got several of the standard half plastic jotters stashed in notebooks/bags/ and the car.

Good luck on your search.

Grizz

Theres a million different pens. This is almost like asking for everyone's EDC knife. What I realized long ago is I tried the indestructible pens. But they suck at writing. I now carry a TWSBI ECO fountain pen with a broad nib. It's far more reliable and more importantly to me enjoyable to write with. I work a blue collar job and have carried regular (not metal/indestructible) fountain pens for years, and they hold up fine and are not destroyed.

My take is I have to write alot at work so why not enjoy it with a pen I enjoy using? A good fountain pen is like what a CRK knife is like. Just a more premium smoother experience. But some folks prefer the opposite of me. YMMV

Back