Shiv uses

^ I noticed as well. He moved the wood and foliage around. Sharp eyes I do have!

I was surprised when I realized I hadn't posted a more comprehensive image of Shivs in this particular thread, so here's one with a few, including 6" Utility Fighters:

orig.jpg

I was surprised when I realized I hadn't posted a more comprehensive image of Shivs in this particular thread, so here's one with a few, including 6" Utility Fighters:

orig.jpg

I'g glad that I pried one away from you and that lineup, because you clearly had to step on top of your 7 foot ladder to make them all fit the same frame shot :)

Thanks Bob for that side by side of the 2 UFs in Cocobolo and the Burl (African Butl?). This gives me future goals if Nathan decides to offer the UF with fancy schmancy wood handles ;)

Mat, the top one is California Buckeye Burl (Aesculus califorica). Often such material exhibits almost a blue within gray color, but here the predominant background tends more toward the browns, with minor grays in background rather than foreground.

Bob, you never disappoint when you post pictures of CPK fighters, so much variety in wood, thanks for sharing!

I love natural handle/scale materials, though a few have recently been made unavailable as a consequence of global legislation. But fortunately, with only a few exceptions, such legal roadblocks haven't been as impactful on most of the woods. While I am a lover of stone of all kinds, you just cannot beat woods for the variety and beauty they offer.

Back in the 80's, I had a friend who helped begin the movement toward stabilized woods that had great figure. He was one of the first, if not the first, to convince Randall to utiiize custom, highly figured stabilized wood on his orders. His name was Vince Bianchi (may the great man rest in peace) and his "compatriot" was Jim Frey who put the wood company together, and whom I believe still operates under the tradename "Wildwoods" - and is married to Sandra Brady, the scrimshander.

Back