Show Off Your Leather!

Rayban that is awesome! Looks like I got a new project! :)

Church, the last I read about these Forgecraft knives dates them to the 40s at least, maybe older.

WOW!!! There are some really cool sheaths on here. I'm trying to get there. These are the latest two that I've made. I'm starting to think that I should upgrade my status here and go 'knifemaker.'

DSC07446.jpg

A sheath for my Scrap Yard Mud Puppy LE done by Jeff at Rainwalker Creations:

rainwalker-front.jpg

rainwalker-back.jpg

Here it is with a knife and sheath by Danish pipe and knife maker Erik Nørding (which inspired the Mud Puppy sheath):

rainwalker-comp.jpg

Pipeman, Very impressive! Those deserve individual photos so we can see the detail better.

Paul

Here are a few shots of some of the stuff I make.

Best regards

Robin
5558980816_273bc4cf83.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
One of my personal hawks with a sheath that is similar to Sir Alexander McKenzies hawk sheath from the early 19th century. The other piece is my take on a 19th century "gentlemans hunting kit". It contains two knives and a sharpening steel.
5558977840_9f709f86b4.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
A custom sheath for a hawk with a mammoth ivory button dyed to match the sheath tones.
5558972650_d984d7ed51.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
A couple of dagger sheaths. The cross hatched sheath isn't wonky ;-) it's my photography that's wonky. ;-)
5558388225_a563fb82cf.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
My take on a Sammi culture style. The inlays are piano key ivory pinned and glued to the sheath. The sheath is pinned together with bamboo meat screwers (i love those things))) Braided lanyard and traditional dangler type hanger with Mammoth ivory beads.
5492390428_5e95b68b3b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Double bit axe sheath in latigo.
5504078282_6dafba64c2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
And finally something a little different. Wrinkled copper foil over veggietan, riveted with copper burrs. I was bored ;-))

Here is one I just made for a recent banquet knife. It was my first try at tooling. After these photos I did a little more burnishing on the edges. The winning bidder was extremely happy.

MELANIE2011311.jpg

MELANIE2011288.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to make a better sheath for my main user, so I did. My first one was loose and had horrible stitching.

It holds it nice and tight and is good and hard. A sheath I'm very happy with. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it very much a working sheath.

I also made myself a possibles pouch at the same time:

I think it turned out pretty good for a first attempt, plus it's just the right size for what I wanted (which inside is about H10xW10xD2.5cm)

The contents will change, but at the moment all I've put in it are useful bits and bobs:

As I had a little bit of leather left over I made a sheath for my Enzo Birk. I found out making it it actually glides through 2.5mm leather with ease, even when cutting through 4 layers of it.

They are all dyed with British Tan.

Hey Grizz...you should make something like this for those keepsakes.
(note: this is NOT my work, just something I admire and have in my files)

Buffalo_Hunters_Knife_Sheath.jpg

Rayban who made that multi knife pouch??? That thing is awesome!

Bringing this great thread back. Thanks to everyone who posted. Pros, amateurs, and everyone in between. If you make stuff with your own hands, you’re a thumbs-up in my book. So many great photos and ideas…..awesome!

Got inspired recently to make a sheath for my latest knife the Fallkniven S1. Haven’t made a sheath since my first one ages ago. Kind of fun….might make another.

IMGP0460.JPG

Something new I came up with, and I haven't posted it here yet.

DSC08481.jpg

DSC08474.jpg

DSC08480.jpg

DSC08485.jpg

Kydex retention on my leather sheaths.

A commissioned sheath for a new customer, with a quality folder, stacked welt makes for heavy duty wear, crocodile inlayed, quilted back, pigskin lined, detachable belt loop, all hand stitched.
IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Quilt Back, pigskin lined,
IMG_0326.jpg

Belt loop
IMG_0334.jpg

Buffalotrailingpoint042.jpg

This is the sheath Alan Davis made for this knife and it's my first leather sheath. I'm liking the ease of use and carry so much that I've ordered a leather sheath for my BK14.

Here are 2 knives and sheaths that I just recently finished.

JULYMEL008.jpg

JULYMEL019.jpg

Back