Show Your Vintage Schrade Scrimshaw Designs by F. Giorgianni

Thanks for the storage tips Saddlebum.

You're welcome. I had to do something. I have a couple of knives that the green stuff etched out some pretty bad pits in both nickel and brass bolsters. It's a shame when otherwise the knives are perfect. BTW, I tried some other kind of paper, like notebook paper or something, and the brass on the knife tarnished quickly, turning color pretty fast. I polished it up again and wrapped it in the acid free sketch paper and now it's fine. They make that stuff so as to preserve the potential art on it, like they do with picture matting.

Well, I've been whining about not finding a SC503 Salmon for a while now and this morning I finally found one and the man accepted my offer on it. I did not know until saw it that it is a Duffy and not a Giorgianni. Still, a really nice image. So in case anyone else was curious what they look like, here it is. It's been a scrimshaw kinda day so far and I also made a winning offer on a 296SC 4 1/8" trapper with a wolverine on it, something I've had a hankering to get. It too is a Duffy so I will post it in the 'latest knife' thread.

SC503 Salmon 1996
50fima.jpg

b7co46.jpg

Both parties that I made the offers to for the scrimshaw knives snapped up the offers so quick that I wished I had offered less.

It seems to be somewhat of a buyer's market for Schrade knives which are not early and rare. The scrimshaw items are particularly slow. I see several forces at work here. First, tastes change; although a few really take to the scrims, their heyday is over as a robust market. In fact, the traditional pocket knife is gradually dying out as young men increasingly go to flipper and assisted knives. The one bright spot here, market wise, is the fanatical lust for Great Eastern knives. Another force I see operating is the adulteration of the Schrade market by Taylor. Young men increasingly are unaware of the difference between pre and post bankruptcy knives. Yet another important force is the economy. Put simply, Americans are getting steadily poorer, not counting the one percent. I have tried my hand recently at selling knives and it has been disappointing, to say the least. Those of us who read the traditional-oriented forums tend to forget that we, as a group, are microscopic. I have a few scrims I wish to sell but I am putting everything on hold until next winter, now. I just put up a dozen knives which not-so-long-ago would have seemed desirable in the market and I did not get ONE BID. NOT ONE. And I thought my starting price was reasonable, certainly less than I paid when the market was much warmer, six to eight years ago.

It seems to be somewhat of a buyer's market for Schrade knives which are not early and rare. The scrimshaw items are particularly slow. I see several forces at work here. First, tastes change; although a few really take to the scrims, their heyday is over as a robust market. In fact, the traditional pocket knife is gradually dying out as young men increasingly go to flipper and assisted knives. The one bright spot here, market wise, is the fanatical lust for Great Eastern knives. Another force I see operating is the adulteration of the Schrade market by Taylor. Young men increasingly are unaware of the difference between pre and post bankruptcy knives. Yet another important force is the economy. Put simply, Americans are getting steadily poorer, not counting the one percent. I have tried my hand recently at selling knives and it has been disappointing, to say the least. Those of us who read the traditional-oriented forums tend to forget that we, as a group, are microscopic. I have a few scrims I wish to sell but I am putting everything on hold until next winter, now. I just put up a dozen knives which not-so-long-ago would have seemed desirable in the market and I did not get ONE BID. NOT ONE. And I thought my starting price was reasonable, certainly less than I paid when the market was much warmer, six to eight years ago.

Much wisdom in your statements. It does seem that the antique traditional knife market is still going pretty good. I have to look for a real good deal or get lucky to get my hands on one of the nice old ones. That hasn't happened recently. I'm not a scrimshaw fanatic, but I do have a fairly short list and a price limit that I won't budge on. I know how you feel about selling in a buyers market. The only time I have done any ebay selling is right after the housing bubble burst and jobs the economy took a dive. Mine did too and I took a real beating when I sold a bunch of my Schrades. Your point about the 'Taylor factor' is valid and I just experienced one facet of it as a buyer. I just bought a Cigar Box Classic muskrat MIB for the BIN price of a Taylor. And the seller is a bigtime knife dealer judging from his ebay store. I was informed by another collector that he got one even cheaper from the same guy the week before. That worked out for me real good and the dealer doesn't even know the difference. He could have gotten 3 times what I paid if he knew what he had and posted it accordingly. He was probably happy to unload what he thought was a Taylor. You are also apparently correct about the GEK knives. On my limited budget, I've stopped torturing myself by even looking at them because I can't afford them. There are some real beauties out there and I like the Ulster copies alot. I got a real sweet original Ulster bone cattle knife awhile back for less than half of what it's GEK counterpart went for when I made a try for it. They are really nice though. I got a little lucky too on that one. Some of my experience has to do with the 'ebay factor' too. A fairly rare knife that I had been looking for, for a long time came up and just because I was sick of looking for one, I threw what I thought was a crazy large bid at it and lost it anyway. Surprise! Another one came up a week or so later and I snagged it for more than $40 less than the previous one sold for. The ebay factor. Sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it poops in your easter basket. Whether you're a seller or a buyer.

My Scrimshaw Collection is growing. Just need to get an updated photo with all of them. First up is a SC524 that came in a bit ruff. With the help of Edbeau she cleaned up really nice.

Here is an SC507 1992 Print of a Big bear Serial#0874. Waiting for this to come in the mail. Then it will be time to clean up the blade edge.

Just registerd, been looking for a week for information on the scrimshaws i just picked these up at an estate sale last weekend 1979 schrade scrimshaw

First off, Welcome to the Schrade area of the Forum.
To post a picture the picture has to be on a photo sharing service like Photobucket. Then you need to copy the URL and paste it on to the message. once you do it the first time it is quite easy. You can use the search function to find more detailed instructions.
We want to see your knife!

Any inforvmation about them would be awesome value ect thanks for looking
20150515_173101_zpsyrahldnp.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
Im sorry for the trouble i have had i just dont have a computer right no and trying to do all this from my phone is a pain in the ...

Well, if I zoom in to 400% I can make out 2 SC506 Racoons which were sold in 1979, the SC500 Bison for 1982, I think a SC501 Drop Point with a Buck Deer is 1979, and I can't tell for sure about the others. Dates are imprinted on the handles of all. I couldn't save the pic to my laptop to enlarge or enhance.

The ones I couldn't make out before are the SC508 Bear/Man 1979, SC503 Trout 1979, and SC505 Sea Gulls 1979. My mistake earlier on the SC508 Bison, it's a '79 also. I got confused over the two large knives because they both had buffalo on them at different times. It appears that you have a complete set of the Great American Outdoors series for '79. Something that alot of collectors would like to have. Nice find. If you sell them, consider selling them as a set.

A guy asked me to send close ups of the tang stamp and i did he thinks there possibly not real any help would be great.
0522151742_zpsz79qbpwb.jpg~320x480

They are real. I haven't seen the box lids but the boxes are right and the leather sheaths are right, what little I can see of the paperwork, it's right and the blade etch is right. Look them up on ebay and check the completed listings for them through the advanced search option too. You can compare your knives and see what they are selling for individually. If you can find them there. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here. :D
Oh, the tang stamp is right too.

Back