Silly things that have happened to you

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The other night as I was taking a shower, didn't notice my wife had put a new shower curtain on, one of those plastic ones with all these pouches to hold what nots in, as well as an outer cloth like curtain as well.

So, there I am, scrubbing behind my ears like a good boy and noticed at the bottom of the curtain a rather large spider ! about the size of a half dollar in diameter, well, as best as I could see, without my glasses it was just a splotch but it did give me pause, as well as tightening up a few things on my body too ;)

So, I didn't want to scream like a little girl for my wife to come to my aid, but just Spartan'd my way and crouched down and quick as a wink gave it a sharp smack!!

But as I look back on it now, that sharp smack didn't really harm that small weight that they put inside the bottom of the curtain to help keep it down...duh :) at least I made the attempt, which in my condition...wet and naked, seemed that I was pretty brave lol...

At least it made my wife and kids laugh as I told them of this adventure of mine.

It's the little things in life...spiders should not venture into one's shower during a shower.

So what have happened to you folks that you can share in an open family forum??

G2

I was reading a magazine and tried to "zoom in",with my fingers,the way you do on a tablet or smartphone..felt pretty dumb afterwards. At least my wife had a good laugh

I was reading a magazine and tried to "zoom in",with my fingers,the way you do on a tablet or smartphone..felt pretty dumb afterwards. At least my wife had a good laugh

I've done similar. :eek:

Not trying to zoom but, my every day media interface (for lack of a better term) is an ipad. Whenever I need to know what time it is I glance at the top center of the screen. I was reading something on paper and actually looked at the top center of the paper for the current time. :)

I have done that.

I have also tried to do that touch screen, like my iPad, with my computer.

I am just the right height that when I'm in the kitchen and get too close to the counter, the cabinet door knobs under the sink leap out and get stuck in my pockets, bringing the door flying open and me coming to a sudden stop. Kind of hard to explain but if I'm drying dishes or putting something into the sink it seems to happen all the time.

It was kind of funny the first 100 or so times not so much any more.

Spend fifteen minutes looking for my glasses that I'm wearing. Hunting for my cell phone so I can look up a number for someone I'm talking to on my cell phone. Stopping at a green light thinking it's a stop sign intersection.

Zieg

I have done lots of long distance bicycling and wear a rear view "Take-a-Look" mirror on my helmet to keep an eye on cars coming up behind me.
I have to laugh at myself when I get into a town and am walking around. I constantly try to see what's behind me in the mirror on the helmet that I'm not wearing while walking.

Yah, we're a silly species aren't we ? lol

Where I work, they recently supplied me with a second monitor, I taped to the top of the frame a calendar for handy reference as I have to schedule orders and need to see months ahead sometimes.

AND I remember one time that I tried to "Mouse" up to that calendar to click on a date....right...that's IRL ...In Real Life and not something you can mouse up to silly fella ;)

mouse_stops.jpg~original

Go figure right?
G2

I am just the right height that when I'm in the kitchen and get too close to the counter, the cabinet door knobs under the sink leap out and get stuck in my pockets, bringing the door flying open and me coming to a sudden stop. Kind of hard to explain but if I'm drying dishes or putting something into the sink it seems to happen all the time.

It was kind of funny the first 100 or so times not so much any more.

Sounds like you could use some door pulls (rather than knobs). Don't get the kind that the top bar goes pasts the posts - those will hook you too - though a convenient place to hang a towel :)

My fun started when I fell asleep on the sofa one day and woke up in the dark to find someone else's hand on my head. :eek: I knew it wasn't my hand because I tried to move it off and it just flopped back down. I stifled the urge to yell and jump. What if she was beautiful ? :cool: What if he had a knife? :mad:

Then - my circulation caught up with my brain and my hand that had "fallen asleep" woke up and slapped me for being so stupid. Really though - 't were a few moments of real terror :D

Ray

I find myself typing my voicemail password on my computer keyboard instead of the phone.
Then I wonder why the phone keeps asking for the password over and over.

I've also been known to smash a small piece of tangled thread to death with a shoe now and then...

Oooh, I just thought of one of mine! Mind you I wear glasses, keep that in mind.
I was at the beach, wading out in to the water to swim, when I saw a dark "thing" in the water. It freaked me out! I kept yelling to my friend who was with me, to get it away from me. Well, after a few moments of abject terror, I realized it was MY shadow. LOL! :D :eek:

Sounds like you could use some door pulls (rather than knobs). Don't get the kind that the top bar goes pasts the posts - those will hook you too - though a convenient place to hang a towel :)

My fun started when I fell asleep on the sofa one day and woke up in the dark to find someone else's hand on my head. :eek: I knew it wasn't my hand because I tried to move it off and it just flopped back down. I stifled the urge to yell and jump. What if she was beautiful ? :cool: What if he had a knife? :mad:

Then - my circulation caught up with my brain and my hand that had "fallen asleep" woke up and slapped me for being so stupid. Really though - 't were a few moments of real terror :D

Ray

That's a good one. Sometimes when I take a nap in the afternoon I wake up and think its the next day and get up in a panic. Haven't had my hand fall asleep like that though!

So do you want to be the one that explains to my wife why we have to replace all 16 knobs (they have to match you know) in the kitchen because her husband's pants keep getting caught in the under sink cabinet? :D

That's a good one. Sometimes when I take a nap in the afternoon I wake up and think its the next day and get up in a panic. Haven't had my hand fall asleep like that though!

So do you want to be the one that explains to my wife why we have to replace all 16 knobs (they have to match you know) in the kitchen because her husband's pants keep getting caught in the under sink cabinet? :D

Knobs on the drawers, pulls on the cabinet doors so only some of the knobs need to be changed out. :D Usually I do it the other way around but in this case... Hey, it's Christmas - time for a bit of joyful season remodeling. Can't hoit! :thumbup: Could actually save some hoit.

Well, some mis-happenstance may best remain unknown - but the funny remembrances carry on.

Once in years past, I returned to the house after a swim in the river. I was just removing my wet bathing suit under an airy, dry swimsuit cover for comfort when I spotted the neighbour's border collie and my mutt facing off over territory in the yard, each on either side of a mutual woodpile. Then, I saw the neighbour coming down to get his dog, My bathing suit cover was breezily short in the rear but I knew I had to retrieve my dog.

You know, casual conversation is uneasy when your rear is feeling a breeze, let alone when you have to end that conversation, bend over (hoping the woodpile is all concealing) to pick up a dog and walk, hopefully with some grace, back to the house.

Don't know how much cheeky grace was in my exit. Will never ask!

Susan

Got in the shower and put the water on a few times with my glasses on.
Started truck with remote , had the air conditioning on instead of the heater in 20 below.
Left window rolled down once when parked at home , snowstorm overnight , foot of snow on seat.

Last evening, I was driving the automatic Chevy truck, after driving the standard shift Toyota earlier. Went to slow down to turn down my road, tried to push a nonexistent clutch in to downshift , stepped on the brake instead and nearly made the car behind me, rear-end me. Felt a bit stupid. 😋

I was out on my boat alone fishing one beautiful day in July. After I pumped in a few beers I thought it would be a good idea to see if a floating Rapala would work as a float for the boat's ignition key. So I hooked it up and dropped it in the lake. It sunk like a rock! It didn't float for a second. Now I was stranded 22 miles out of port in Lake Erie. Luckily I was able to hail for help from another fisherman who towed me into the harbor.

For about a year I worked at a radiator factory that was across the street from my house in Detroit and one block down. I would walk to and from work and go home on lunch. One day on lunch I was at home, siting on the floor with my back against the couch where my wife was sitting, eating lunch. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sitting there preoccupied with my lunch, my son, the TV, whatever it was, I gave no thought to my wife taking my hat off. I wore it backwards because of the machinery and because the place was filthy. A minute later she put it back on so, whatever.

Here is where you get to piece it together...

When my son was very young. Maybe a year old, someone bought him one of those Mickey Mouse ears hats. Unfortunately it was adult size so it was more of a souvenir/decoration.

Yep. She switched the hats, I didn't notice and I walked back to work, through a parking lot full of factory workers on lunch and up to the door where I saw my reflection, wearing those damn Mickey Mouse ears.:eek:

When I snatched them off my head and ran back home for my work hat, my darling sweet wife, the one that sat silent as I walked out the door with those ears on, was still laughing hysterically.

That was more than 25 years ago and I'm still plotting my revenge.

Back