Snow in Yuppieville

By The Way - - I have 4x4 SUVs and pick-ups and they are terrific tools - - but you still have to know how to drive them under hazardous conditions or youre just an accident waiting to happen. (Such as Seattle 'soccer Moms & Dads" )- - Pointshoot

Washingtonians keep getting more plentiful in the Cantina...there's even more of us who haven't posted in this thread!

blackbear_tent.gif

I left the 4X at home and took the probe(fr. WD) haven't really gotten any RAIN this winter...global warming is paying off I guess! I bet it'll be WET this spring though,better be or the whole west coast is gonna be blacked out this summer.leave it to CA not to build any powerplants for 10yrs and then whine at us when power gets tight!oh by the way,my khukuri tasted frozen wood for the first time today! YUM!

My apology Yvsa. I am now in Western Washington, my reference to the warmer clime. The snow seems very different here compared to Eastern Washington. The crux of the discussion has been illuminated by POINTSHOOT. You have to know your equipment. Bad, boorish and ignorant drivers are plenty around here. Their crudeness causes one to not notice those drivers who actually give a d---. I have encountered idiots on mopeds and in Macks. The most absolutely attentive and focused driver I have encountered to date was behind the wheel of a new and very dark blue Ferrari 456. With the narrow face and laser-like gaze of a predator I doubt that he was prone to making many mistakes of any kind . I certainly would not want to be a fool in his presence. The maximum idiot award may very well go to the guy who came close to landing his Aeroflot Ilyushin jet on First Ave. South in Burien (just south of Seattle proper.) Anyway, lets get on to khuks and the like. I just looked over some sites for American Tomahawk Co. Since 'hawks are currently on our minds has anyone out there received product that can be reviewed?
Salute,
Leo

:
Leo thanks for clearing that up.
smile.gif

And speaking of drivers that will not just scare you socks off, but your underwear as well...Seems funny that no one has mentioned the logging truckers!!!!
biggrin.gif

There's quite a story about how my mom and me rode in one of the logging trucks with a friend when I was fairly young. I still remember mom about squeezing my leg off!!!
smile.gif

Leo I truly believe that Andy is going to have a great product with the American Tomahawk Company!!!!
I don't see how anyone could go wrong with Andy Prisco, he's another one of the good guys.
smile.gif

(Andy has personally helped me out in the past as he has many others.
smile.gif
)
I believe that Andy mentioned Blade Magazine coming out about a month early with Andy's full page ad and that they have been overwhelmed with orders for a product no one has seen.

On the other hand I believe that the H.I.'Hawk's will each be unique unto itself because each one will be individally hand made.
It may take the kamis making a few until the potential bugs are worked out, but then they could get it right the very 1st time.
I have learned not to underestimate their abilities kinda like Uncle Bill, because the kamis are good at completely surprising all of us with what they can do.
The biggest concern I have is getting the "eye" of each and every 'hawk the same in order to fit a handle manufactured, I think, here in the states.
And I believe the kamis are going to do an awesome job. As Uncle Bill has said, "The kamis are used to making hatchets and axes so the 'hawks shouldn't be a problem.
I'm personally more interested in the Bowie Knife and the challange it will present the kamis in making it thin enough, but they done good on the Kumar Karda's and the karda's for the YCS so we'll see.
smile.gif

------------------

>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

I'm sure you're right uncle! after all,why would anybody spend $30-50K on a 4x4 that isn't really very capable,on the road or off? I've rarely seen these rigs on the trail or out hunting,but there are more suv's on the road out here than cars! mostly driven by soccer moms! Yvsa,you're absolutely right,anyone who's out on a dirt road in W. WA ought to be vigilent for a logging truck coming roumd a corner at high speed! they like to use both sides of the road. almost as big a hazard as the deer 'round here. A friend of mine hit 3 in one year! WITH HER SUV!!!

Brent;

Thanks to you, I am now a khuk-knut!!!! Do you have any idea how much money you are going to cost me in the future? The damn HIKV just vibrates from my tool box where my village suripati now resides.
confused.gif

Hey, if anyone wants a log house built, this here Brent V.Z. iz da man fo it.

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

[This message has been edited by muzzleup (edited 02-17-2001).]

Originally posted by Bill Martino:
Is there anybody besides me who believes most SUV drivers are seeking status rather than utility?

Hmmmm, Bill. Now that's an interesting observation that I've never really thought about. As I mentioned earlier, I spend lots of time driving on mountain passes. I also farm and 4x4s are an absolute must out in snow & mud filled fields. I don't hang out with too many yuppies, so the thought of a 4x4 as a mere status symbol isn't something I've considered much. Most of my friends are farmers, hunters, fishermen, hikers, or other types of outdoorsman and women. Maybe for many, its 'status' and some false sense of security? (False, because they dont know how to drive.) Regards, - - Pointshoot

:
Pointshoot it seems that you have it down.
Around here if you see some good ol' boy driving a beat up 4x4 you can bet they're not going to cause any problems for the other people on the road.
It's those guys in weatern business suits, ostrich skin cowboy boots and big hats as well as the women that have had a cell phone implant and wear sweaters with the sleeves tied around their waist that's the problem. Usually that is.
smile.gif

If you see a beer can come flyin out the window of the camo'ed 4x4 then all bets are off.
biggrin.gif

------------------

>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

glad you like it Ron! Uncle Bill's the best! he'll take good care of you! and all your disposable income!
wink.gif
as for the log homes,I don't want to hear from anyone who wants a "kit" home. I only build the real thing!
biggrin.gif

Lets all just cut up all the soccer moms SUV's with our khukuris! This will give us something to do at our next convention!
biggrin.gif

Some funny stuff here and thanks.

I used to do some 4 wheeling when I was younger in the Rockies, Panamints and down the Baja trail before it was paved and I know I have been places that would make some of these SUV drivers of today faint! I wrote articles for Four Wheeler magazine. So, I guess I have a different and definite opinion about many of the SUV drivers I see on the roads today.

I am in complete agreement that the 4x4 is a great tool to have on ranch or farm or mine and a great toy if you like to get up into the faraway places. But most I see are spotless without dings, dents or scratches -- signs of never having been off the pavement -- and are used like a suburban station wagon.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (33,000 + posts)

Well, I've always prefered the term, SAV.
Suburban Assault Vehicles.
smile.gif

A lot of the trendier new SUVs on the market don't even put off-roading into their design considerations anymore. I mean, just about anything with all-wheel drive as opposed to four-wheel drive is problably not intended to leave the road.

One other thing about newer cars. The traction control systems. The computer is controlling everything so you don't even notice that you're on ice or whatever. What happens when you get in over that computer's head? All the sudden you become painfully aware of what your on, and it seems logical that the person won't be able to control the vehicle. It's scary when the car is a better driver than the person at the wheel.
biggrin.gif
Of course that's not only SUVs.

Bob

I have a `74 Power Wagon.
It`s pretty beat up, but it has a 360 and a Spicer drive line. Enough power to make throttle an option.
I see no point in buying a new one. I wouldn`t know how to work on a new one.
All I have under the hood is engine.
And, everything is easy to get to.
I took the 4 speed from an International Harvester combine. It fit with a little help from a chain to hold it in alignement.
I quit replacing U Joints after that.
I couldn`t leave the farm without it.
The car could not leave without it breaking trail.

S = Stupid
U = Ugly
V = Vechicals

If I can keeping my eye lids from freezing shut I would stop hitting so many things on my mountain bike.

Will

The best beer is Sam Adams Cream Stout.

The best cigar is a Don Lino Colorado.

Try that!!
biggrin.gif

Back