Snow in Yuppieville

Dear steve f,

Think of an extremely cold and partially solid "head" on that brewski you've got in front of you
tongue.gif

Geeze, they'll anyone into the forums
biggrin.gif

Steve, Snow is what's falling from the sky outside my window right now. If I had a web cam I'd let you take a look
eek.gif

Steve f,
Just curious, do you by any chance play the Yidaki? Yeah, I know everyone in Oz doesn't, but I do and was wondering if any other forumites do? And if you wanna see snow come on up to Maine!

Rob

Its the Australian Aborigine word for what everybody calls a didgeridoo, which is (usually) a termite hollowed branch of various species of Eucalyptus tree. You blow into one end sort of like playing a trumpet but much looser. Its really alot more complicated than that, but that's a basic summary. If anyone wants to see pictures of some great authentic Aus. ones check out www.laoutback.com . BTW, if you watch Survivor you hear them in the background during commmericials for upcoming episodes sometimes. Also during the Sydney games they played didgeridoo alot.

Rob

:
Dayum it Rob!!!!!
I can't afford another addiction!!!!
smile.gif

I roamed around the Website and it's absolutely the best I've seen for didge's!!!!
If I thought I could ever learn to play one of those I would certainly jump on one of their's!!!
An I have Never seen prices that low for such nice instruments.
There's a guy in Arizona that claims the Kokopelli isn't playing a Flute, but a Didg, who knows, he may be right.
I have a couple of shorter ones (4 foot) I have made from bamboo, but I have never put a mouth piece on either of them.
An now you've done gone and pique my interest again!!

Do you play?!?!?!?!
If you do I am almost envious, but I still got my Flutes.
cool.gif
smile.gif

Edited for spelling and grammar, whatever that are.
smile.gif

------------------

>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 02-21-2001).]

Yvsa,
Glad you liked the site! Yeah, that company is a real class outfit. Did you see my customer endorsement they put on there? I'll tell ya, I bought a didg. from there that was bloodwood Eucalyptus, and they just finished it with polyu. and it had a mouthpiece on it, and that didj plays like you wouldn't believe! I also have a raw unfinished didj I bought from them for 135.00 that I put a mouthpiece on out of beeswax, and its a killer instrument as well(as you can tell I do play
smile.gif
)I also have a purple heart didj made by a guy in Oregon that is wrapped top and bottom with deer skin--its a beauty. I've also got a real high end didj painted by Aus. Aboriginals that is a work of art. When I get my scannner I'll send you some pics via email. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years or so. I'm not that good, but I can circular breathe and do some decent rythms. BTW, didj and flute sound GREAT together. I wish I could make it to the next khuk. convention, cause I could bring a didg in a key that would match one of your flutes and we could have some fun! Let me know if you decide to put mouthpieces on those I can give you pointers on that and then on how to get started, BUT I warn you this addiction is every bit as bad as HIKV!!
Oh and by the way it is ME who is jealous! I have always loved the sound of traditional ndn flute--there is just something about the tone that those flutes have, or I should say its the spirit that you can feel within the tones. Don't know if that makes sense.

Rob

:
WoW!!!!
A man that can circular breath that's not a native from OZ!!!!!
smile.gif

Rob I have tried that with a straw and a little water in a glass to learn control and had a bit of success, just a "bit" though.
And it might be better if we did take it to e-mail. I have a lotta questions!!
biggrin.gif

But before we do that I just wanted to add that I might be talked into making and trading an excellent Flute for a good Didg.
smile.gif

Hell, I would even make it out of Red Cedar. Gotta wait until the weather clears up again until I can get my router table out of the shed.
I got a brand new 1" dia roundover carbide cutter I have been wanting to try out, makes for a deeper toned Flute.
I was gonna rout some out a couple of weeks ago, but I put the new cutter up so's I would know where it was and you Know how That Goes!!!
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Finally found it and now I Know Exactly Where It's At!!!
I owe 1 Flute for a barter ad I have promised 2 others to some Sweatlodge relatives and need to get them done.
I am also gonna try to donate one for our Summer Powwow Raffle.
It should bring in a bunch of money for our ndn club.
Uncle Bill and the ones at the Reno Khonvention can tell you about the Flutes I make.

And who knows, perhaps our paths will cross at a Khukuri Khonvention or elsewhere and we can jam a bit.
I would Like that Very Much!!!
cool.gif

And I saw those unfinished Didg's and that's probably the way I would have to go.
I talked with our daughter in Phoenix about the Agave stems, but she didn't know if it was legal to even get the dead ones.
I liked the looks of those too!!!!

I will e-mail you later tonight or tomorrow. All we've done this week is run and I think the worst is over now.

Dayum!!!! I am Impressed!!!!
cool.gif

And yes Rob it does make sense, a Lot of Sense.
I had to wait until I was 54 years old before I was able to handle a Flute and the things it can bring to you. And believe me I was just Barely "Old ENough!!!"
They can ruin a young married fellows life instantly if the ceremonies are done correctly and the young man is Not Strong Enough to Handle the Power. There is definitely "Magic" or "Power" in the Flute.
And that's all I can say about that here.
I'm sure glad I was older when it came to me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 02-21-2001).]

You want to hear braindead???!!!
As I type this they are cleaning up a 120 car pile up on one of the highways in Maryland! It took me almost 2 hours to go 36 miles from school to my parents house today, because everyone on a highway with a speedlimit of 65 mile per hour, and was fully salted, was going less than 20 miles an hour! How much snow caused this, so far less than an inch.

Predriving checklist, tire inflation, check, mirror adjustment, check, engine on, brain off.

Bob

Stuff and stories like this remind me of when I was a freshman at Reed College in Portland, OR in 1969.

For the first time in 10 years it choose to snow in Portland, and being a California boy, it was my first experience with urban snowfall. Nothing like a longhaird weirdo running around in tank top and shorts in the middle of freezing rain....
biggrin.gif

My mode of transportation at that time was a little two stroke motorcycle, and I learned, fortunately without injury and major damage, that two wheels don't stop very well at intersection red lights. Also, when said red light intersection is at the top of a hill, motorcycles are almost as much fun as a sled when you ride the ice!!

While I agree with what you guys said about alot of the folks driving SUVs today (pushing speed limits due to feelings of invincibility etc..) I disagree with the sentiment that they are worthless vehicles. And they don't all cost 30-50k. If I had money to spend on a good vehicle and I had my choice between a 4WD suv and a 2wd car, given the winter driving conditions up here, I'll choose SUV everytime. I don't mean to start an argument, but it seemed at times during this thread that the real issue was with certain kinds of drivers and their driving habits, not SUVs. I run into plenty of stupid drivers and most of 'em drive sports cars with 2WD, and alot of em drive big pickup trucks(like I do)! And yes we do own an SUV, for reasons of utility: room for 5, or 4 with a baby seat in our case, luggage room in back, excellent snow handling, high ground clearance, luggage racks on roof, and last but not least a sixfold likelihood of coming out alive if my wife and baby crash into someone driving a smaller car. I don't see why there is so much flak directed at SUV's and so little towards people who drive huge 4WD pickup trucks with extended cabs(which is what I drive, my wife drives the suv mostly). I mean they are very similiar vehicles: both don't corner well, both will smash a smaller car to bits, both are gas hogs, both can be pricey, and neither one makes you immune to the laws of Physics, yet both have better hope in the snow and ice than ANY 2WD does. The only difference seems to me to be one of social class distinctions: pickup truck=hardworkin blue collar man SUV=rich yuppie soccer mom. Isn't this what the real issue with SUVs is in America today? Just my 2 cents. Don't mean to come across as hostile, but I taken alot of crap from people around here cause of my SUV and I don't think its fair or called for. I do realize thats NOT what you guys were doing and my rant is not really directed at you, I'm merely venting something thats been bugging me for awhile---my apologies.

ROb

Deathdancer, that's quite an interesting, and amusing picture that you've put into my mind.
Oh, the radio guy while I was driving home said that in five minutes, just out his window in the building he saw 5 accidents occur. He then bet his engineer that there would be another accident in the next 15 seconds, and won! Ugghhhhh, people need to learn how to drive.

I agree with you ROB!!! Finally someone who actually uses an SUV for what it was meant for.

I drive an older suv, for me it is a pickup truck with a heated cap.
smile.gif
I carry my tools in the back. I use the four wheel on occasion, either to give me a little better traction on these slippery New England roads, or on the off chance that I have to go off road. (I have had to do that more than once)

It has a big enough transmission that I can pull a small trailor with two motorcycles on it. I can store luggage and riding gear for four people and still have enough room for them to ride on the way. I love my little suv.

On the topic of learning to drive, these east coast folks really need a few lessons. Most of them lack the common sense that the good lord gave turnips!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Oh well enough of my rant... for now
smile.gif

Did *anybody* notice the website mentioned at the bottom of Steven f's post?

Integral bolstered damascus?

:
Rob I agree with you as well. It ain't the vehicle it's the brainless beings inside behind the wheel.

We have an old 86 F150 XLT Lariat with a factory cap that Barb and me are quite fond of. It has a 5 Liter V8 that unbelieveably gets 21 mpg on the road and 16-17 mpg around town.
But then I'm also a crazy ndn,(as if you guys didn't already know that)
I have been threatening to put a red hand print on each side back by the tailgate and might, just might do it this year, make it easier to find in the dark at powwows.
smile.gif

Barb really liked the old '66 Chevy, long wide, small window, gauge dash, with a small block 400 hooked up to a 350 Turbo tranny with the 10" wide tires and headers dumping into a 4" dia pipe leading to the twin Walker Glass Paks.
It wasn't too good on the gas, but was a helluva lot of fun to drive.
I could tell you stories about that truck!!!
biggrin.gif

I bought a new little Ford Courier in 1975 and many people couldn't believe their eyes when they would meet me on a single lane fire road at 8500 feet up around Big Bear.
It was a wild ride as the little 4 banger didn't have enough power to get started unles you had a little down hill run that high up. I had to keep it at 30 mph to keep it from stalling out.
smile.gif

It was better down low in the wash.

A truck of some sort is a necessity for us for hauling Sweat Rocks and wood for our Lodge, but that doesn't mean ya cain't have a little fun with it now and then as well.
cool.gif

The little Dodge with front wheel drive gets around better in the bad weather, but Barb always drove the truck in bad weather just to be safer with the extra metal around her. She never had much trouble getting around, but the Barb drives sensibly, uh,,,, most of the time.
I gotta story about that too.
Involves an old '65 AMC Ambassador
and a new Thunderbird that cut her off in the rain in Mississippi.
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 02-22-2001).]

Back