Spring into Spring with a "Barlow a Day for Thirty Days"

Here I go quoting myself again. I just hate it when I have to do that ! 🀣
This quote was from me on Day 1 ..... Post # 1.
Notice that I said there may be a surprise at the end of the 30 days.
If you think that surprise and a prize are one and the same ....... you just might be mistaken. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”:oops:
I might have been strategically thinking ahead. :oops:πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

Some of you that have participated in some of my previous Kentucky Derby GAW's might recall that there were many twists and turns ....... and suspense !!! πŸ€”πŸ€”
I JUST LOVE SUSPENSE ! πŸ˜πŸ€£πŸ€

The old saying "It ain't over till it's over" is a saying I like a lot. So tune back in tomorrow and post what you are toting the day after the 30 day challenge.
It might be your second chance to win a mystery gift ...... or something else ....... or maybe nothing ....... or maybe Tom's gift ....... or maybe Elijah J.'s gift ..... or nuttin.

Maybe I just want to see what knife goes into your pocket the day after the last day ..... we'll see. ;) 🀣 πŸ€

Spring into Spring with a "Barlow a Day for Thirty Days" ............... I reckon we done it ! 😊:thumbsup:πŸ€

IMG-0659-Small.jpg

A big thank you from Tom and me to all who participated ........ I wish all of you could have been lucky ! ;) πŸ€ 😊
Who is Tom?
He lives in the barn?

Wow Primble Primble thanks for hosting such a fun event, and congrats the the lucky winners. A great way to welcome in the spring☘️☘️.
I'm still catching up so here is day 29 a Queen made Robeson Barlow and a Wright lambfoot that was billed as a barlow (not sure it quite meets the criteria)
Robeson-barlow.jpg

and since things are wrapping up here i'll go ahead and post tomorrows day 30 carry now.
I thought that the final 30th day called for something flashy so what better than this glitter gold.
Glitter-Barlow.jpg

After 30 days of Barlow, I’ll be switching it up with something a bit more β€œgentlemanly” and with more blades. Splitback whittlers are my favorite pattern, so while I’ve enjoyed the challenge, my life has felt a bit whittler-light lately.

I’ll be putting this Schatt & Morgan 76 pattern in my pocket for the day.

IMG-2658.jpg

Day XXXI

" Old Red Barlow "

Before we started on Day 1, Old Red Barlow was cold and numb.
Last week, as I took another Barlow from the drawer, Old Red Barlow seemed to say, you use to love me in every way …. how come I don’t get my carry day ?
I looked back at Old Red Barlow and said β€œ You’re still the special one. You’ll be out before this is done”.
Thirty days have come and gone. Before this challenge is finally done, Old Red Barlow’s time has finally come.
I made the challenge from Day one and one more Barlow makes me thirty one. Spring has sprung, bare trees are none, Old Red Barlow thanks you all for a lot of fun !
😊
77-NF-Barlow-Old-Red-Patina.jpg

77-NF-Barlow-Old-Red-Size-7.jpg

** There are two mystery prizes available for Day 31. You have to participate to be eligible. There may be some clues given throughout the day. ;)πŸ€£πŸ€πŸ€
**Winners from yesterday are not eligible ....... Tom tossed your names after he drew. 🀣

Old Red Barlow has my eyes excited about that purty red bone ..... I tossed my big ole Grandaddy on the side board and snatched up one of my old Case Redbones and one of my
custom Opinels ( depends on how you look at it πŸ€” 🀣 ) for my horizontal belt sheath. The load has lightened !;)πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€

Mini-Copperhead.jpg

Opinel-8-B4.jpg

You all better get busy if you want a second chance ...... or maybe a third chance ! 🀣 πŸ€£πŸ€πŸ€

I have stated a few times I had already started carrying my 1970 Case Barlow for a few days before this challenge started. I was trying to "break the habit" as I had been carrying this Case 6332 for nearly a year straight. While it did leave the pocket from time to time, it was my steady carry for nearly all of 2023. A perfect EDC knife in my opinion. 3 5/8 inches. Nice bone handles that pop. Full clip. Three different blades. A pinned shield that will never fall out. And, half stops on every blade for "fidget factor" 😝

This challenge was exactly what I needed to reinforce breaking that habit! That 32 had never left my pocket for an entire month at a time. And while I would love to carry a barlow for even longer, I'm trying to use this opportunity to carry other knife patterns I don't give nearly enough attention. A personal challenge of my own you might say! Given most of my knives are in the 3.25-3.75 inch "medium" range, and most of them are bone, I decided to pull out this full size yeller trapper. It has some sentimental value to me in that most of my knives are purchased online. When we bought our first house, the feed mill down the street turned out to be a Case dealer. This was the first knife I bought from them and the first knife I had bought in person in quite some time. I don't know if that feed mill will be around forever or not. But, I will always think of it when I carry this knife. And, how blessed I am to own my own home.

It needs a bigger 4+ inch slip, another one I made myself, which doesn't get used as often. So, this slip doesn't have quite the leather patina as my slightly smaller 3.5+ inch one. I decided to take this picture on my Levine's 4th Ed as it is a new acquisition for me and one I have been enjoying immensely! I also felt the delrin matched the heading quite well in color. A decision Levine made on purpose, perhaps? πŸ˜…

Day 31 (and the night of Day 30)

My sweetie and I went out for pizza last night. I had this Titusville Cutlery Co. lamb and my Remington Granddaddy Barlow on me. I figured since the lamb needed some additional patina, I'd let it do the heavy lifting of sectioning the pizza from four slices into eight - plus, Big Remmy has earned a rest I think.

mxhRc0g.jpeg

Afterwards, I was reading about knives online (obviously) and stumbled across a discussion about Ebony shrinking! 😱 I went to go check on mine, found no shrinkage, and decided to throw these two in the pocket. I'm starting to believe that the people who experienced Ebony shrinkage live in environments foreign to the wood - whereas Miami's weather tracks pretty closely to that of the tree's native African range. πŸ€”

25VYAm8.jpeg

I love all three of these knives, the only problem now is that everytime i look at them, I think "lordy, how come those bolsters are so short??!!" Oh well, Big Remmy (not shown) is still riding in my back pocket - just in case...

Congratulations to the winners and the sponsor of this event.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I'm sorry I can't post more photos, because "Imgbox" isn't working at the moment here in Portugal and I don't have access to my photos!!!πŸ˜ͺ

I changed my mind ............ after I thought about it. πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” Everyone who was on the completed list that did not win yesterday is eligible today. Some of the participants might have thought the challenge was over for good ...... today is the last day. Sorry that you can't post a pic .... maybe you could just say what you've got in your pockets today.;)πŸ˜ŠπŸ€

Day 31 (and the night of Day 30)

I love all three of these knives, the only problem now is that everytime i look at them, I think "lordy, how come those bolsters are so short??!!" Oh well, Big Remmy (not shown) is still riding in my back pocket - just in case...

Short bolsters ! :thumbsup:🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
Sorry .......... I miss your big Remy pics already. The three in one pic yesterday wowed me !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:πŸ˜πŸ˜ŠπŸ€
I've never had any shrinkage on my Ebony knives, but, I live in a humid state. You just might be on to something. ;)

Back