Recommendation? Spyderco folder

Andy,

I have small hand and somehow Delica doesn't fit me (handle wise). I found Endura handle fits better and Cara Cara 2 even better.

However many swears by it and if not because of the handle, jazzz has convincing video about actual use :
In fact his argument convinced Sal to make him a prototype to try.
Original thread:https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607&start=200

I found manix 2 handle suits me better, but it is a heavily contoured one. It dictates how one should hold it. A GB1 handle is better, but probably that's beyond your length requirement.

In my use, a belly is useful, especially when peeling fruits, so I like Stretch better than Endura. Stretch handle is also very comfortable.

I think it boils down to what you cut on daily basis. A lot of man made product (packaging, tapes, etc.) then a wharncliffe Delica. The short blade allows for tremendous control.
Skinning, peeling, might be better served with some belly. Maybe also a Delica, normal version.
ZDP is highly recommended but VG10 is ok too with your sharpening skill.

For your described usage, either Delica or Manix 2 fits the need. Or probably a Tenacious (cheaper than Manix, basically similar size but more flexible grip). Spreading jam/butter is better done with leaf shape & wide blade. D4 wharnies is quite wide.

Edit to add: StartupSurvival on YouTube is also Canadian, and he also compared Delica, Tenacious and Cara Cara.

Thanks Chris - thanks everybody for the suggestions. I noticed that the Tenacious really has no ricasso, the blade starts directly at the handle. I like that. Have to check that one out a bit more!

Andy,

Anytime :D
About Tenacious, I have in the past looked down on 8Cr, but recently revisit them and found a new respect. Especially if you get the right one (I have 2 Cara Cara, one is exceptional, one is so - so). Cara Cara also has about same edge length with longer handle and I found the ergonomics better (I have FRN, G10 probably more so).

Oh, and when I meant by sharpening skill, you won't have trouble with VG10 like I did initially. :eek:

Last edited:
I love the Manix 2.

ukofHFS.jpg

Wow - thanks for the quick replies! I don't like Delica's saber ground blade but I guess the handle is comfortable? I like the Sage but the liner lock looks like "cutting into" my hand when in use. So, the Manix seems to fit the bill for me, not totally sure about the handle though and I don't know the steel at all (not a big deal, it's an EDC and I like sharpening ...).

I could get the Manix for 112 Can$ !
The Delica has a full flat ground blade. I might be one of the few that does like the saber grind, it offers a more robust blade for more than cutting. I will occasionally leverage my knife to get a part to move before tightening it down, or when some lateral pressure is needed without fear of breaking the blade. I've owned several saber grind Delica and Endura and have never felt limited, unless I was asked to slice paper thin tomato or onion. In which case, the Spyderco kitchen knives would be a better choice. I would also like to suggest the Spyderco Stretch. For my hand (large sized gloves) it feels very secure and has a terrific slicing blade that is full flat ground. The Native is also a little powerhouse cutter, small, and compact that delivers the same cutting power as a larger knife.

The Delica has a full flat ground blade. I might be one of the few that does like the saber grind, it offers a more robust blade for more than cutting. I will occasionally leverage my knife to get a part to move before tightening it down, or when some lateral pressure is needed without fear of breaking the blade. I've owned several saber grind Delica and Endura and have never felt limited, unless I was asked to slice paper thin tomato or onion. In which case, the Spyderco kitchen knives would be a better choice. I would also like to suggest the Spyderco Stretch. For my hand (large sized gloves) it feels very secure and has a terrific slicing blade that is full flat ground. The Native is also a little powerhouse cutter, small, and compact that delivers the same cutting power as a larger knife.
The Native 5 Lightweight is one of the bigger bargains out there too. USA made Spyderco in s35vn for under $100.

The Native 5 was my first thought per your parameters. (3" blade)
I think the better fit for your requirements would be the Stretch. (3.5 blade)

The Native 5 Lightweight is one of the bigger bargains out there too. USA made Spyderco in s35vn for under $100.
I think I like the Native 2 that the 5 ended up replacing. That hollow grind and swedge was a beautiful thing.

I have a Manix2 and a few Kiwis, and my wife has a Dragonfly and a Delica... but when I can't carry my Bradford Guardian3 (and sometimes when I can), I usually have a Persistence in my pocket. It is a great knife that can handle most light/suburban daily cutting tasks. It might not be as graceful at all of them as some other knives, but it can get the job done, and it is easy to sharpen and (relatively) inexpensive.

Back