Texas House Bill 1935 Tracking Thread

Ahhh, yes, patience. I have it, and will wait thusly.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you I am 70 years old. I will not carry any of these 'illegal weapons' except maybe a large knife to the Thanksgiving table. The point, however, as I'm sure you understand, is that no one should be telling me I can't carry them just because they don't want me to. I am not a fanatic. But as a kid I could walk the streets of Massachusetts or northern Virginia causing no concern even while carrying a bowie knife or a bb gun. I hope Americans remain free.

Last edited:

Knife Rights' bipartisan Texas Knife Law Reform Bill, HB 1935, to repeal "illegal knives" in Texas statute, was passed out of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee by a unanimous vote. It now goes to the floor on the Local and Uncontested Calendar. Keep your fingers crossed.

We dodged a bullet getting 1935 out of the House when it did - it barely missed getting tied up in the "Freedom Caucus's" Mother's Day Massacre.

Regular bills are those generally considered to be uncontroversial and expected to pass near unanimously and with little, if any, debate. These bills are placed on the L&UC (Local & Uncontested Calendar). The HOUSE and Senate each have one.

That is how HB 1935 got out of the House so quickly. Todd worked with the bill's sponsors and other Representatives on the committee to get out a bill that would pass L&UC muster.

For those not in the know about how the Texas Legislature "works" and don't necessarily get details on what happens in the sessions, this past Thursday was the last day that "regular" bills originating in the House to get passed on to the Senate for a vote. Any bill that gets out from here on will go through the debate process.

One of the rules in the Texas House is that if 5 Representatives object to a bill, it is removed from the L&UC and sent back into the queue of bills that go through the debate process. This late in the session, any bill suffering such a fate is almost assuredly doomed to fail passage.

This brings us to the "Mother's Day Massacre". The "Freedom Caucus" is a small group of Tea Party Representatives who bill themselves as the "Freedom Caucus" (FC) and who think the House conservatives are not being conservative enough. The FC thought that other GOP Representatives were retaliating against them (FC) for the FC's delaying tactics by not putting their (FC) bills onto the calendar fast enough for them (FC) decided to kill the entire L&UC - 121 bills.

Now whether any other politicians were actually "playing politics" with any of the FC sponsored bills is debatable, but the bottom line is a few crybabies got their knickers in a wad and peed in everyone's Wheaties.

With the FC killing the chances of many important legislative bills, there is almost certainly going to be a Special Session of the Legislature needing to be called - wasting both time and money. The FCs will probably not end up getting their way in a Special Session because the only items that can be worked on and passed in a Special Session are specific items identified in the Executive Order the Governor signs calling for the Special Session, and if the FC pissed the Governor off badly enough with their shennigans, then he would put any topics on the list that they want.

Had Todd's work not gotten the compromised bill out the door when he did, we would have gotten zip-diddly this session, and had to wait another 2 years for changes. I'm pretty sure the Governor would NOT have placed any knife law modifications into the Special Session list. As it stands, we just have to wait on the Senate to pass the bill when it comes up.

It is 10:03 on Friday night and this is how I am spending the night...We aren't on this calendar but I am watching to see how far they get, to get an idea of when we will be up. Best guess is Sunday night or Monday...but could be Tuesday.Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 10.04.02 PM.png

HB1935 has been certified for the Senate Local and Uncontested Calendar for tomorrow. We are also on the "intent list" for today. Fingers crossed....

In a nut shell, it's a list of the bills scheduled to be reviewed the next day in the order they are to be read/reviewed/voted on.

The Senate is not required to follow the list in the order listed if they vote to pull things out of order. Also, sometimes (rarely) the Senate wades through the list faster than expected and they get to bills further down the list than expected. This means that sometimes a bill is considered the day before it was scheduled to be looked at, if the bills are at the top of the list for the next day.

By being on today's "intent list" it means HB 1935 has a chance of being reviewed/voted on today.

The way I understand it, being on the certified list means that it will definitely come up on that "certified" day.

So, we are in wait mode. Hopefully, we'll know NLT tomorrow what happens.

PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING, READ THIS, AND CALL RIGHT NOW!

Knife Rights bill to repeal "illegal knives" from Texas statute HB1935 needs your help to get over the finish line.

HB1935 passed the Texas House 131 - 1, was favorably reported out of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee, and recommended for the Senate Local and Uncontested calendar.

By any measure the bill is in good shape to pass, however due to political tensions unrelated to HB1935 in the Texas legislature things have slowed to a snails pace, and the clock is ticking and will run out at midnight tonight Austin Texas time. So if HB1935 is not heard by Midnight tonight, it is dead!

So just to be sure HB1935 gets a straight up or down vote tonight, we are asking you to STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING and CALL Texas Lt Governor Dan Patrick RIGHT NOW!

Remember Lt. Governor Patrick likely supports HB1935, but has to prioritize hundreds of bills tonight, so be respectful and simply say to whomever answers: "I am calling to respectfully request the Lt. Governor please bring HB1935 up for a vote as soon as possible, thank you."

You will then likely be shunted to a line to leave a message, which you also need to do there, BUT the important thing is they will be keeping track of the calls on the bill.

Lt. Governor Patrick's number is: 512-463-0001

Just called in - spoke with Andrew in the LG's office. he stated that he had already received over 50 calls on HB 1935 and that he was confused as to why he was receiving the calls as the bill was on the Local and Uncontested Calendar and should easily be voted on before the midnight deadline.

I told him that those of us watching the bill had received a social media message telling us to call in because it was possible that the bill would get delayed due to the other stuff going on.

He said that even if it didn't get voted on before midnight, that the Senate could vote to suspend the midnight deadline for the Local & Uncontested Calendar items but only for L&UC items and that they had done it before.

I have never heard of such a thing being possible, much less true (about suspending the midnight deadline). The closest thing I know of was 1 year when either the Speaker in the House or the Lt Gov in the Senate had the MAA unplug the official clock at 1 minute to midnight on the wall until all the bills had had a vote.

So in my view, keep calling. :D

Edit to add - I also told Andrew to expect more calls... so call. :D

Last edited:
Thank you all for your support!!!! Assuming the governor signs it, pretty sure effective date is September 1 but Doug will write it up.

Back