The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

rhino rhino Did rhino miss his meds today? 🤣

Funny you should mention that. I noticed Monday at the gym that my shoulders were a little more sore than usual. Then Tuesday evening after the gym, my knees were hurting so much that I was hobbling around like a crippled bush gorilla. It got worse still on Wednesday, so I decided to add another 200mg of Ibuprofen to my evening dose. That's when I noticed that my pill box (which I fill on Saturday evenings for the week) had no Ibuprofen in any of the compartments for the remaining day in the week. So I realized I hadn't had any since Saturday morning and the cumulative anti-inflammatory effect was wearing off.

Rhino is not smart, but he hurts less today than he did on Wednesday!

Ok.
I promise not to drag this on but I have to add this:

I was feeling like crap as I left the dog at the hospital, and didn't bring her home to be buried with our other dogs in the backyard.

It really bothered me.

Yesterday my daughter went and retrieved her from the hospital, and with the help of my grandson, buried my dog in the backyard.
Next to the others.
Raining the whole time.
She even bought her own shovel.

♥️
I feel for you because I had to put my 21 year-old cat down back in September. Toughest thing I ever had to do. His urn sits beside me in the sunroom and will be interred with me upon my passing. Two boys throughout eternity.

Take care Gary ❤️

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about how this Buck forum (recently) is more friendly and relaxed than most other forums on this site and other sites? I suppose more specifically, the group of people here are more friendly and relaxed, including both the regulars (the Ben-Gay and Geritol Crew) as well as those who pass through occasionally. Even when we disagree, we act like rational adults (no insult intended for those of us who refuse to grow up).
What's there to fight about on a knife forum?
I bought one, I didn't buy one, they did a good job, they did a bad job, I like this feature, I don't like that feature, I wish they'd make such and such - that's pretty much it.
I have enough knives to outfit a small army, I'm mostly just looking at the new offerings as nothing has come along recently that I really want.
They probably have some surprises in store for 2024, though.

Funny you should mention that. I noticed Monday at the gym that my shoulders were a little more sore than usual. Then Tuesday evening after the gym, my knees were hurting so much that I was hobbling around like a crippled bush gorilla. It got worse still on Wednesday, so I decided to add another 200mg of Ibuprofen to my evening dose. That's when I noticed that my pill box (which I fill on Saturday evenings for the week) had no Ibuprofen in any of the compartments for the remaining day in the week. So I realized I hadn't had any since Saturday morning and the cumulative anti-inflammatory effect was wearing off.

Rhino is not smart, but he hurts less today than he did on Wednesday!
Lucky You. My Doctor tells me I'm not to use Ibuprofen. Says to use acetaminophen. Problem is acetaminophen doesn't do much.

O.B.

Lucky You. My Doctor tells me I'm not to use Ibuprofen. Says to use acetaminophen. Problem is acetaminophen doesn't do much.

O.B.

Yeah, it's tough when your kidneys or something else won't let you use NSAIDs. I use the smallest doses I can and I drink a lot of water, etc.

Lol, the cat just reminded the wife yet again that leaving her sock drawer slightly open is a baaaaaad idea. She has no idea I kinda trained her to do it after banging my shins a few times on them when she leaves them slightly open like that. Good kitteh! 😆

Posted some items from my daypack that got attention so I figured I'd share some info about them here... most of stuff I only carry as weight, so that I can keep up with my son when we actually do go backpacking. So yea... most of it is completely unnecessary for 90% of what I do. .

Culprit99 Culprit99 asked about a saw I carry. It is a 15" svensaw. It is very light. Made from aluminum. The blade is sharp and replacable. Steel.. i do not know what type. It is attached to the aluminum shield by a pivot that keeps the teeth away from accidental contact. They also make a meat saw blade. I don't have one. I ordered the 15" a few years ago before a pack trip. They sent me the 21" I was worried it was too long for my pack. I contacted them about it and they sent me the 15" at no charge.. they are both great. I used the larger one in the backyard... the 15" combined with the froe, you're good to go...

View attachment 2465679View attachment 2465680 Always have my farmer and a few bucks.

View attachment 2465690

J jayjaygee Brought up these etek stoves. They are a cheap knock off of an msr pocket rocket, which itself is imported. I got 2 stoves for 14 bucks a long time ago. They will work with any lp that will thread on. That includes the big green Coleman bottles and the little camp fuel bottles. It has a built in igniter, which still works on one of them. Not a big deal because they will light with any source of spark. I've used them in all types of weather. Sometimes my wife and I will hike out to a nice spot to sit in the snow and brew tea. Use it in the high teens and 20s.

View attachment 2465763

View attachment 2465764

View attachment 2465765

View attachment 2465766

For water i have a sawyer squeeze, which is newer. I used a Katadyn filter in the past, but the pvc bag kinda sleeved me out. With this system, you fill the bag with dirty/untreated water, attach the filter and squeeze the bag into your mouth or water bottle. It will also thread on to a plastic soda bottle, witch you can use instead of the replaceable bags
View attachment 2465767
I keep a cheap silva compass. It adjusts for declination and has a clear baseplate that's good for map reading. I don't keep the book in the bag, but I recommend it to everyone as it is an easy read and will teach you all you need to know about using a compass and basic map reading skills.

In addition a flashlight. Hammock and a poncho.

View attachment 2465775

Last edited:
Nice kit, I like that saw a LOT, may have to get one. I keep roughly similar items in mine, we have a couple of the Sawyer water bottles which are a little bulky but work great. Had a little Silva compass like that for a while, dropped it one time and it went kaput, so I spent a few extra bucks and got a burly Cammenga military model with the glowies, works great.

Posted some items from my daypack that got attention so I figured I'd share some info about them here... most of stuff I only carry as weight, so that I can keep up with my son when we actually do go backpacking. So yea... most of it is completely unnecessary for 90% of what I do. .

Culprit99 Culprit99 asked about a saw I carry. It is a 15" svensaw. It is very light. Made from aluminum. The blade is sharp and replacable. Steel.. i do not know what type. It is attached to the aluminum shield by a pivot that keeps the teeth away from accidental contact. They also make a meat saw blade. I don't have one. I ordered the 15" a few years ago before a pack trip. They sent me the 21" I was worried it was too long for my pack. I contacted them about it and they sent me the 15" at no charge.. they are both great. I used the larger one in the backyard... the 15" combined with the froe, you're good to go...

View attachment 2465679View attachment 2465680 Always have my farmer and a few bucks.

View attachment 2465690

J jayjaygee Brought up these etek stoves. They are a cheap knock off of an msr pocket rocket, which itself is imported. I got 2 stoves for 14 bucks a long time ago. They will work with any lp that will thread on. That includes the big green Coleman bottles and the little camp fuel bottles. It has a built in igniter, which still works on one of them. Not a big deal because they will light with any source of spark. I've used them in all types of weather. Sometimes my wife and I will hike out to a nice spot to sit in the snow and brew tea. Use it in the high teens and 20s.

View attachment 2465763

View attachment 2465764

View attachment 2465765

View attachment 2465766

For water i have a sawyer squeeze, which is newer. I used a Katadyn filter in the ast, but the pvc bag kinda sleeved me out. With this system, you fill the bag with dirty/untreated water, attach the filter and squeeze the bag into your mouth or water bottle.
View attachment 2465767
I keep a cheap silva compass. It adjusts for declination and has a clear baseplate that's good for map reading. I don't keep the book in the bag, but I recommend it to everyone as it is an easy read and will teach you all you need to know about using a compass and basic map reading skills.

In addition a flashlight. Hammock and a poncho.

View attachment 2465775

Like!

Those folding bow saws look like they're really useful, especially for processing material that's a little too big for most compact folding saws like the Coronas and Bahco Laplander.

Like!

Those folding bow saws look like they're really useful, especially for processing material that's a little too big for most compact folding saws like the Coronas and Bahco Laplander.
i take it when we go hiking locally... used it a couple of times after the most recent storm to clear some of the local trails. was effecient enough. the 15 in looks small but its kinda the perfect size for what youll be cutting while packing

I need you guys to help me by reminding me I can't buy anything, go out to eat, or otherwise have any fun that costs money until I get my short term financial status right with the Lord.

Last edited:
Back