The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

I was just coming here to post a couple pics of the new F95NL and mention the micro milling on the inlays lol, I like it on these. I have two older gen Hatiā€™s that have the milling running through the front CF scales, they made lots of them in all sorts of colors. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more! (I think an older gen F3 had it as well?)

I wasnā€™t too enthused about this knife when I first opened it for some reason but Iā€™m definitely liking it the more I look at it. The blade is great, Iā€™m loving the thinner with swedge style and the jimping with milled cutout looks nice. The tapering of the inlays like they did with the recent RJM collab knives is a nice touch too, they add thickness to the frame but itā€™s done in a sleek way. My only gripe I think is that I was hoping the copper would be more apparent than it is which I can definitely live with because thereā€™s a lot I like about the Gen 5 update.

That ā€œchaotic satinā€ finishā€¦hmmmm Iā€™m not so sure yet. My pictures donā€™t really show off the scratchiness of them because they arenā€™t as scratched as the Hati lock scale I have, this F95 is much more a blend of light stonewash/chaotic satin.

A0lN1jw.jpeg

Sljuz8y.jpeg
Your post got me to thinking about the copper. Back in the day, I was a huge fan of lightning-strike CF, and the reason is that the copper would tarnish after sitting for a bit. Then, once you again take interest in the knife and start to fondle it, your hands will polish the copper. It slowly starts to get shiny and the knife becomes more striking visually.

Today I realized that the same thing is happening with the new F95. It was a bit dull out of the box. Today it looks amazing. Of course, it might be my imagination if Shiro has applied any coating over the CFā€¦but I donā€™t think they did.

Iā€™d be interested to see what you think about the copper in a day or two.

jacobconroy75 jacobconroy75 WTF I thought I was imagining things because I swear it looked different this afternoon compared to yesterday when I first opened it, I have had it clipped to the inside of my jeans pocket since receiving it, handling it and working the action quite a bit to start the break in lol. Now it makes sense!

jacobconroy75 jacobconroy75 WTF I thought I was imagining things because I swear it looked different this afternoon compared to yesterday when I first opened it, I have had it clipped to the inside of my jeans pocket since receiving it, handling it and working the action quite a bit to start the break in lol. Now it makes sense!
I really hope makers continue with copper-laced CF. Itā€™s the coolest handle material IMO.

šŸ˜† I've debated whether to even ask but, tell me about the roller bearing Shiros fellas....
I'm so happy with a regular mrbs Shiro - are the roller bearing versions that much better?

They tend to slow the action down a little bit, because with the rollers the outside end has to "scrub" as they turn. They should also provide more lateral support, but a folding knife ought not be seeing enough pressure for that to really matter.

You can get aftermarket roller bearings as well, from Dept. 13 on Instagram (I forget the exact name of the account) and add them to your current F95/F3 sized knife rather than spring for a collab.

šŸ˜† I've debated whether to even ask but, tell me about the roller bearing Shiros fellas....
I'm so happy with a regular mrbs Shiro - are the roller bearing versions that much better?
Are you asking because of the $$$ Shiro on R1 marketplace? šŸ˜…

My Soft Overkill has the rollers and itā€™s definitely a different feel, more like the blade is gliding vs flying, like rubbing your hand over a super soft buzz cut. I donā€™t notice any real speed difference, it fires pretty hard because the detents on the Shiro/RJM knives are slightly stiffer and ā€œcrispierā€.

Thanks Fellas. Those are some really good answers - appreciate the pics too
I've got no interest in getting one though.
Those are outta my reach.

Thanks Fellas. Those are some really good answers - appreciate the pics too
I've got no interest in getting one though.
Those are outta my reach.

I only have the one RJM collaboration knife and it was definitely more in cost vs many production Shiros but itā€™s been worth it to me considering several of the F95ā€™s, Hatiā€™s and others are now $1k plus, and the limited edition knives like the F3 elementals were only a few hundred dollars less than the Soft Overkill. Screw paying the immediate markup everyone seeks after buying, Iā€™ll wait 8 months and get one at cost if I donā€™t make it into the ā€œlottoā€. This doesnā€™t always work of course lol, some prices stay too high but Iā€™m happy with the one I got, itā€™s a Shiro but unlike a lot of their standard offerings to make it cool to own.
B9z5pvm.jpeg

I hear ya Jsega51
For me, I find a very great value in the F3 - especially with the new Colorways. I particularly love that Blue Micarta.
As you, I've just begun my Shiro journey, if ya will. My first, I was very lucky (at least I think I was) to purchase an F3 NS at a great price.
After that, I had to have another which was what brought me to the new F3. After getting it, I just find it to be a real bargain for $720
I love it. But, the F3 NS is pure silk- with that 4mm blade she is so freakin smooth.
I'm very happy with the 2 I have.
Screenshot_20240303_130804_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Iā€™ve been watching for these to come out for months. R1 has some NIB right now.

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

What surprised me, is that itā€™s so much easier to accurately change pivot-screw tension with this puppy when itā€™s set at 90Āŗ. The REK set I have has been getting me by, but itā€™s a bit clunky. For instance, The REK set needs a little box by my chair to hold the driver and all the bits. The Shiro set doesnā€™t.

Three of the four bits nest together in the handle, and the little one thatā€™s pointed the wrong way does not nest (Iā€™m not sure what the 4th bit is forā€¦internal pocket clip screws?). My Shiros share three bit sizes. Some day Iā€™ll buy the mystery Shiro that needs bit #4.

A very cool thing is that there is a spring-loaded plunger in the handle. Doesnā€™t matter if you have three bits in the handle or all four, there is no rattling.

My thought is that like all things Shiro, you understand why itā€™s so expensive once you get it in your hands. Recommended!

Back