The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

I think it was said but they might use one for pics and advertising, maybe even pocket one to see if they like it. The fact that as a company they make you use PPFF or else they charge an additional fee is not just a bad look, but might be illegal.

Weird. I made three recent purchases from them, in Dec Jan and Feb, and all 3 of them were for G&S without any extra fees.

Yeah, I didn't see any fees. My last purchase there was just a few weeks ago. $1,150 + $17 shipping for a total of $1,167.

1711414301955.png

I gotta say fellas, the all Titanium knives just do nothing for me.
I love the looks and feel of that Micarta though.
Shirogorov does such an incredible job on those!
Don't get me wrong, I think any Shirogorov is great, I just prefer the Micarta or Carbon Fiber F3's personally
When I think back on my 15 Year history of knives-as-a-hobby, it started somewhere around the release of the Zero Tolerance 0450/0550 that my obsession with titanium began. It kept on with many others, but has diminished somewhat. Same with carbon fiber. But I still like both materials.
Currently, I am really enjoying this Micarta on the Shirogorov F3. It has a good feel. It is smooth but also just grippy enough. Some G10 I've handled is too rough.
I am hoping they release many more color variations of the micarta F3. I like my blue one. I am not too into that emerald one.
And I agree that the detent is spot on!

When I think back on my 15 Year history of knives-as-a-hobby, it started somewhere around the release of the Zero Tolerance 0450/0550 that my obsession with titanium began. It kept on with many others, but has diminished somewhat. Same with carbon fiber. But I still like both materials.
Currently, I am really enjoying this Micarta on the Shirogorov F3. It has a good feel. It is smooth but also just grippy enough. Some G10 I've handled is too rough.
I am hoping they release many more color variations of the micarta F3. I like my blue one. I am not too into that emerald one.
And I agree that the detent is spot on!
Oh, me & you both 👊
I would just love to see more colors released as well. Shirogorov can really do Micarta Scales.

I think it was said but they might use one for pics and advertising, maybe even pocket one to see if they like it. The fact that as a company they make you use PPFF or else they charge an additional fee is not just a bad look, but might be illegal.
Utter nonsense. I won the lottery for the last quantum. Paid g and s no extra fees, etc. Im sure they "prefer" f&f but its absolutely not required.

If the memory serves me right, Mr. Old School 😉 was lucky to obtain a few pretty used up Shiro knives.

IMHO one of the major issues with Shiro heavy use was that older generations almost never had a reasonable choil for subsequent trouble free sharpening.

And the flat grind, 4+ mm thick blade and MRBS... well, not so practical for heavy use -- not impossible, but far less comfortable than CRK with hollow grind and washers 🙃

Did someone say Mr. Old School? Well here's what he carried today, produced sometime between 2010 and 2013-14. This one wasn't "pretty used up" when I got it, but goes to work now, though it's only got a couple light scratches and scuffs so far.

71gFlAz.jpg

WDE8Q6L.jpg

The "pretty used up" one was my Hati, that came to me with fairly major scuffs on both sides of the blade, off center, and terrible action. I was something like the 4th or 5th owner on that one. I did a bunch of rehab on it, got the centering better and the action, on washers, is smooth and it flips great now. It's definitely a work user, scuffs and all.

j5j6YhD.jpg

lfjgUgn.jpg

You've never seen a Shiro for sale that was a heavy user**

Did you ever consider that you don't see heavy user Shiros for sale because their owners love them, keep them, and continue using them? Not everyone buys something, has their fun with it, and sends it down the road. Some of us buy nice things to keep forever. Also, not that you asked, but life is a lot easier when you don't let strangers on the internet irk you.

Knife for relevance....no, it was not a heavy user when I owned it. Neon Zero > Neon NL for me.

I think you're spot on about Shiro heavy use owners not worrying about re-sale as they use and work their knives, having no intention of letting them go. I've got an F95R that I carry in an EDC capacity, but my Turtle goes to work regularly and and has the wear to prove it.

EQ1vwsW.jpg

It's funny, though, I dug through a bunch of Turtle pics trying to find some that really showed the scratches and wear, but I never photograph 'em to do that--just the opposite. Anyway, all my Shiro's, from the Tarbargan at the top to my RDD get carried and used, though some way harder than others. None of those are going anywhere. It's also curious that the one I do have listed on the Exchange--the QUNL--is the one that's designed to be a "workhorse" and the one that's still like new. Go figure....

There are three different flavors of inlayed F95NL Gen 5s on R1 right now fellas.

You beat me to it. Purple, copper and black technocarbon inlays.

So tempted - I got texted by a knife buddy this AM when those dropped. But, I want purple CF F3 (or blue CF), so anyone want to buy the F95 and sell me their purple F3 lemme know 😂

Yesterday's pics only hinted at the inherited and augmented wear on my M390 Hati on washers, and so, for B Bacchus and I Ilikesharpstuff , here's some I snapped today in the harsh light of the sheetmetal shop that really show the love...

TnawN5G.jpg

4Gg2UZV.jpg

As an aside, there's been discussion both here at the Den and BF-wide over the years about the lockbar's "Shiro Shoulder" and what happens when it hits all the way. My Hati's has been all but all the way since I got this very used knife in 2017 and it hasn't moved a lick nor demonstrated the slightest bit of vertical play through literally thousands of flips and closings.

rOz2aHY.jpg

Yesterday's pics only hinted at the inherited and augmented wear on my M390 Hati on washers, and so, for B Bacchus and I Ilikesharpstuff , here's some I snapped today in the harsh light of the sheetmetal shop that really show the love...

TnawN5G.jpg

4Gg2UZV.jpg

As an aside, there's been discussion both here at the Den and BF-wide over the years about the lockbar's "Shiro Shoulder" and what happens when it hits all the way. My Hati's has been all but all the way since I got this very used knife in 2017 and it hasn't moved a lick nor demonstrated the slightest bit of vertical play through literally thousands of flips and closings.

rOz2aHY.jpg
I wish they’d do some new runs with bright orange scales these days.

I finally cleaned some Shiros. First the Stellar, then the Hati. I was surprised to discover that the races were different and had a different number of bearings. The Stellar is 18 per side and the Hati was 21 per.

Does this washer look centered or is it an optical illusion?
IMG_1542.jpeg

Nice and clean now.

IMG_1543.jpeg

I had a hard time getting the washers out of both knives. Finally found one of those magnetic pocket clips for my 1911s that would pull the washers out easily.

IMG_1544.jpeg

This is the first time I’ve seen the captured pivot. Interestingly, the rear screw on the Hati was not captured, but the rear screw on the Stellar is. I didn’t get any pics of the Stellar job since others have recently posted theirs.

IMG_1545.jpeg

Kinda impressed that there is micro-milling inside the lock scale. Useless, but pretty cool IMO.

IMG_1546.jpeg

Anyway, it was a lot more attention and time than cleaning a CRK, but I didn’t have any trouble. The honeycomb mat and antistatic tweezers were a godsend.

And wow…the actions are the best they’ve ever been when clean and broken in. I heart Shiros.

I finally cleaned some Shiros. First the Stellar, then the Hati. I was surprised to discover that the races were different and had a different number of bearings. The Stellar is 18 per side and the Hati was 21 per.

Does this washer look centered or is it an optical illusion?
View attachment 2538181

Nice and clean now.

I had a hard time getting the washers out of both knives. Finally found one of those magnetic pocket clips for my 1911s that would pull the washers out easily.

This is the first time I’ve seen the captured pivot. Interestingly, the rear screw on the Hati was not captured, but the rear screw on the Stellar is. I didn’t get any pics of the Stellar job since others have recently posted theirs.

Kinda impressed that there is micro-milling inside the lock scale. Useless, but pretty cool IMO.

Anyway, it was a lot more attention and time than cleaning a CRK, but I didn’t have any trouble. The honeycomb mat and antistatic tweezers were a godsend.

And wow…the actions are the best they’ve ever been when clean and broken in. I heart Shiros.

How's the action of the Hati. The ball bearings appear to be wearing grooves in the race!

How's the action of the Hati. The ball bearings appear to be wearing grooves in the race!
It’s better than it’s ever been (but it’s only a couple of months old).

Do you mean the race or the washers? I might have my terminology wrong, but I thought the race was the part with 21 holes drilled in it for bearings, and I call the other parts that touch the bearings washers. I had the impression that the “washers” were a consumable/wear part and included in the rebuild kits. There is a washer on both sides (CF and Ti scales).

Does anyone know if I have that right?

What exactly is included in a rebuild kit from R1?

Back