THE BUSSE CHAT THREAD!

I hear ya bro. 😎
I would really love to see an Ultra Light Brigade Crusader

Anyone got a side by side, size comparison pic of a TAC7 and TGULB? Wondering how different they are. Thanks!

Nope! All yours. 😁

Anyone got a side by side, size comparison pic of a TAC7 and TGULB? Wondering how different they are. Thanks!

I dunno about the TAC7, but I do have a TGULB. It’s one of my favorites. Used to have a Hell Razor 2, which I very much miss. They were so enough in size I couldn’t justify keeping both, and I like the Gemini a little more.

I’ll try to get you a photo later today. I have both, almost identically outfitted. I was specifically comparing the two a couple days ago. With the choils lined up, the TGULB blade is about a quarter inch longer. With the butts lined up, the TGULB is about a half inch longer. TGULB has more butt behind the grip, just slightly. The grips feel about the same length in hand.
Point of balance is further forward on the TAC7. Beefier blade. You can really feel the lightness of the TGULB blade due to the hollow grind (very slight) and “blood groove.”
The TAC7 feels noticeably heavier in hand overall, not just balance point.
TGULB is thinner. Behind the edge. Just slightly. Both came quite sharp. Shaving, even.

IMG_1630.jpeg
Correction from my earlier post. With the butts lined up, the TGULB is still only about a quarter-inch longer than the TAC7.

Personally, for almost every application, the TGULB is my … well, second-favorite knife, in this size range. The NMSFNO is my favorite, except I wish it wasn’t coated. So, I usually grab the TGULB. The HR 2 would be my third choice. Right now, I’d say this TAC7 is vying for 4th, and a strong contender for moving up.

Last edited:
I appreciate the insight and pic!

The swell in the center looks taller on the tgulb? How about overall thickness of the handles, which one is wider?

I know I need to at least try out one tgulb in my lifetime, I do like hollow grinds. I have just never liked the top guard. The SJT7 feels so great in hand, it is a great handle. The Basic res-c will always be number one in my book. The nano fusion and tac handles are very close 2nd for me

Yup, the Tac7 is blade heavy but, I love it -.I really do.
But, that's the thing about Busse.
Every handle is a winner imo. Whether it be the Tac, Special Forces, Fusion, Steel Heart, Res-C - they're all incredibly nice.20240106_132427.jpg

Last edited:
Curious on what makes you prefer the TGULB to the HR2 and then HR2 to the SJTAC7 .

I’m hunting for a larger INFI blade in ResC for the backyard fire pit

I appreciate the insight and pic!

The swell in the center looks taller on the tgulb? How about overall thickness of the handles, which one is wider?

I know I need to at least try out one tgulb in my lifetime, I do like hollow grinds. I have just never liked the top guard. The SJT7 feels so great in hand, it is a great handle. The Basic res-c will always be number one in my book. The nano fusion and tac handles are very close 2nd for me
So, in talking about these handles, I'll use "width" in referring to size spine-to-blade-edge direction, and "thickness" to describe the handle dimension in the same way we use thickness to describe the blade thickness... just to keep straight.

The swell in width of the two blades is close, to my feeling. With, yes, the TGULB's width being a very little greater. The difference in shape between the two in the thickness is profound. The SJT7 handle thickness is more uniform, although it is contoured in thickness. The contouring is just more subtle on the SJT7. The TGULB contouring is dramatic, with thicker areas at the front, rear, and in the middle where your palm would sit. The effect, to me, is being able to hold the knife much better while chopping with it than just about any other blade, except the NMSFNO. The NMSFNO grip is similarly contoured as the TGULB. The effect of both is you never have ANY doubt exactly where the edge is pointing. The SJT7 feels more square in cross section, with rounded corners. You can tell where the edge is pointing, but it is just more subtle. IMO.

Curious on what makes you prefer the TGULB to the HR2 and then HR2 to the SJTAC7 .

I’m hunting for a larger INFI blade in ResC for the backyard fire pit
TGULB over the HR2 largely for the very reason I said above, with regard to being able to hold the knife better while swinging, and intuitively know where the edge is. Neither the HR2 nor the SJT7 are as intuitive. Like I said, I have the feeling the SJT7 is going to be a strong contender for moving up the ladder of favorites. But i haven't had it long enough to know that for sure. I need more time swinging and using it. The grip feels slightly better than the HR2. But as I said, I haven't used it hard yet; that could uncover problems for me.

I’d recommend the Alpha Regulator 9.5”. At nearly a third of an inch thick with a full height flat grind, it would be ideal for split firewood.
Well... yeah. Out of all the ones we're discussing here, I would say it will execute that the best. I have one of those, too. And if I'm getting into heavy yard work, it is my go-to. But it isn't one that I would consider taking on a hiking/backpacking trip. Of the ones discussed here, the TGULB is the only one I would consider for that. Even over my beloved NMSFNO.

Great info dogboye dogboye , thanks!

I have a AR-9.5 and love it. Curious why you would take the tgulb over it in the woods? Is it that much heavier than the TGULB? I find the AR-9.5 to be a pretty formidable tool against wood which is the #1 reason I take a bigger knife with me.

Back