The Mini Hatchet

I got some work done today on a li'l 250g Rinaldi "Sicilia" pattern head that I'm mounting up as a shepherd's axe. It's a very comfortable head for the purpose. Here's some crappy cell photos.

16830779_10211961327096972_8742009715055912223_n.jpg

Well that certainly answers the question of can you fit a none slip fit handle on one of these heads. I would imagine that the way you went about wedging it was best for that eye shape as well.

This begs the question, any chance you will offer these as a head only option in the future to save folks on price and shipping? Visiting the manufacturer's site it seems they are offered not only in an assortment of sizes in each pattern, but also with and without a handle.

Yes, the taper of a slip-fit eye is different from wedged fit, and so once the tongue of the handle is shaped to match the bottom of the eye you'll find that there's a gap around all sides of it. To get the needed amount and direction of expansion, the ‡ shaped double cross wedge arrangement works nicely.

It's unlikely that I'll carry the heads on their own except as special orders, and since there's a 2+ month lead time on them it does make for a good deal of waiting. Even if you intend on rehanging the head, the factory handle is useful for reference purposes as it shows the factory-intended handle proportions and the taper of the handle where it goes through the eye. The demand for the heads on their own wouldn't be significant enough to warrant the investment in inventory.

Thanks...nice!

My post was edited for accidental deal spotting, but I just wanted to mention that the marbles db hatchet which has steel on par with the Vaughan sub zero is easily found (maybe even some sponsored dealers ) for the same 20$ price as the sub zero which is a big plus as you may be getting a bit more axe for the same price if you find a db useful.

There is so much AWESOME in this thread that I wanted to bump it up to the top.

I love the Gransfors Mini, and have owned quite a few. I foolishly sold them all off and now want another one. Sadly, they are out of my funny money budget. I stumbled into $40 from a scratch off deal at work and decided to snag an old Craftsman Mini with a squared poll off of Ebay last night. This thread has inspired me to try a few of these minis!

Thanks for all of the input and photos folks!

There is so much AWESOME in this thread that I wanted to bump it up to the top.

I love the Gransfors Mini, and have owned quite a few. I foolishly sold them all off and now want another one. Sadly, they are out of my funny money budget. I stumbled into $40 from a scratch off deal at work and decided to snag an old Craftsman Mini with a squared poll off of Ebay last night. This thread has inspired me to try a few of these minis!

Thanks for all of the input and photos folks!

Awesome! The Gransfors Bruk mini is a great little hatchet, but that square poll Craftsman is probably one of the best hatchets of this size ever made. I hate that mine has a slightly clipped to :-(

I've neglected this thread for a bit so I suppose I should add some pictures.

33159031153_63a7459416_k.jpg

33842244931_eb1b141ec0_k.jpg

33842246801_ddb33bee43_k.jpg

34002910605_25a2f49ba7_k.jpg

Also a crappy video I made a while back showing the mini in use. Swore I'd posted this stuff in this thread, but I guess not.

Last edited:
You definitely posted that video before, but that's OK, because with the photobucket crap nobody will be paying attention to the beginning of this thread anyways.

Sorry I meant to say it seems I hadn't posted it in this thread at least I didn't see the video or pictures looking back through the last few pages. I have been neglecting it apparently, but I've had a wrench in my hand far more often than an axe lately. That's life though, sometimes things just need to be fixed ;-)

I'm sure glad I don't use Photobucket, it really sucks having lost so much great content.

12oz Vaughan Sportsman's Axe by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Mini Hatchet Feathers 2 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yup that's a mini for sure! Jumpin jahoosifats.

Yup they are tiny, and yet ever single time I use mine I'm surprised at how effective it is within it's limits. I'll be working on a new sheath for mine soon to make it even easier to toss in a pocket or pack.

So way back when I'd first taken my Vaughan mini hatchet on its first campout I had noticed unpacking it that the toe had cut through the top of the factory sheath. This lead to me making a glued sheath from an old belt using a taut line hitch to secure it. It fixed the problem with the toe cutting through, but was bulky and not the most secure solution. I was always concerned about it slipping off in my pocket or pack. Well recently at work a coworker came in with some swag from an IT event, nice thick leather coasters. I immediately knew what they would be perfect for.

Mini Hatchet Sheath by MJGEGB, on Flickr

You can see one of the coasters still intact along with what remains of the belt that I made the strap from. The the sheath is made of 1.5 coasters, a scrap section of old belt (you can still see an old rivet hole from the buckle), braided fishing line, and a snap from a Walmart snap kit.

So way back when I'd first taken my Vaughan mini hatchet on its first campout I had noticed unpacking it that the toe had cut through the top of the factory sheath. This lead to me making a glued sheath from an old belt using a taut line hitch to secure it. It fixed the problem with the toe cutting through, but was bulky and not the most secure solution. I was always concerned about it slipping off in my pocket or pack. Well recently at work a coworker came in with some swag from an IT event, nice thick leather coasters. I immediately knew what they would be perfect for.

You can see one of the coasters still intact along with what remains of the belt that I made the strap from. The the sheath is made of 1.5 coasters, a scrap section of old belt (you can still see an old rivet hole from the buckle), braided fishing line, and a snap from a Walmart snap kit.

That is absolutely a very sweet looking sheath, great work. I think the rivet hole puts the sheath over the top for practicality and coolness!
The best part about your sheath for me is the repurpose and reuse aspect that I try to apply to almost everything when practical and when I can make it as good or better than purchasing something new.
I have been playing with firehose I have(and plenty of)for sheaths and each one gets a little better than the last.
If and when I happen along some free leather I will be trying my hand at making a leather sheath. I have plenty of leather belts but nothing else.
I now desire a mini hatchet or two. One for the kitchen for sure!

Great job

That is absolutely a very sweet looking sheath, great work. I think the rivet hole puts the sheath over the top for practicality and coolness!
The best part about your sheath for me is the repurpose and reuse aspect that I try to apply to almost everything when practical and when I can make it as good or better than purchasing something new.
I have been playing with firehose I have(and plenty of)for sheaths and each one gets a little better than the last.
If and when I happen along some free leather I will be trying my hand at making a leather sheath. I have plenty of leather belts but nothing else.
I now desire a mini hatchet or two. One for the kitchen for sure!

Great job
You can get 5lb bags of " farm remnants " leather scrap for 10$ at crafts stores like Micheals and hobby lobby, that's where I get all my leather from.

Hello,

Just very curious here.
Do the members of this forum classify the Fiskars/Gerber Back Paxe 2 as a mini hatchet ?.
I have one and I quite like it , but I am not sure if the forum members will classify it as a "Minie"
Does anybody else use one ?.

Peace.

I don't know of any exacting definition of a "mini". I think of them as being a pound or less with a shorter handle than a scout hatchee. I'd call the Paxe 2 a mini at 1.2 pounds overall weight - must be about a 1 pound head.

The Paxe is a bit of an odd duck. It seems to have a 1 lbs head which is a fairly standard weight for a typical hatchet though most are a ¼ lbs heavier. The handle on the other hand is compact or about the same length as your classic mini hatchet. Gransfors Bruks has one I believe called the Hand Axe which has the same basic dimensions with the wildlife hatchet head on a short handle. I think the aim is to be more compact, but not necessarily lighter. It's still a small hatchet, but I wouldn't personally consider it a mini hatchet.

Back