The NEXT SALE

What is a ninja sword?

I'm glad you asked.

I have no idea...

20240209_115422.jpg20240209_115427.jpg20240209_115445.jpg20240209_115455.jpg20240209_115412.jpg

Believe it or not. Some aspects of our heat treat are actually not completely 100% totally easy to do perfect every time and the swords were especially challenging.

In this situation, steel was exposed to oxygen at a temperature where we lost a little bit of the carbon on the skin of the steel in a process called decarbonization.

Hiccups were expected in this pre-order which is why we made 145 swords for an order of 100.

And there have been other losses.

But, 32 took on some decarbonization. About 20 of those are salvageable. This sale is for 9 that are ready.

Historical swords were made with lower carbon steel cladding on the outside to prevent them from breaking in hard impacts. This is because (gasp) the steel that historical Japanese swords were made from was actually TRASH, which is what necessitated the development of their outstanding forging skills and techniques. Our steel, on the other hand, is the best in the world and does not need a soft cladding for phenomenal durability. Our steel doesn't break and would cut those historical swords in half. The lower yield point on the decarburized surface makes the sword take a set sooner during a harsh bend and is not something I want on my work.

So, as a way to salvage these swords and get them into the hands of you high quality hooligans, we have ground the edge back .030" and also ground the primaries and the flats down into good steel. Areas that do not lend themselves to grinding have been chemically etched back. I can say with confidence, these swords are 100% up to any task you want to press them to. They will be available today at 3:00 for $1600. This is a little bit more than the pre-order price, but lower than future sword sales will be.

Come get some Ninja love. I'm not 100% sure what that means, other than the DEMONSTRABLE FACT these are some of the best swords ever produced.

Our next sale will be Friday February 23th

5 swords

Out in the main sale area here: https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/

Sale is at 3:00 eastern time.

Also, our next pre-order will be the second run of the K20 sword, here on our sub forum, on March 8th at 5:00.

^ Jo, Bo, Mark, Ben, Carl, Sadie, Tanto and I hope to see you there.

I think Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist is getting smarter. He didn’t mention how long this pre-order would be open. Uh-oh… 😨

The last time we had a material constraint limiting my run to about 150 swords which is why I had to stop the pre-order at 100. Which was fortunate because we had significant losses and we are barely going to be able to fulfill that pre-order.

This time around we have no material constraint, so I'm going to limit it to a maximum of 300. Considering that most of the people who want one have already got one now, I cannot imagine that isn't enough. Hopefully we will be able to leave the pre-order open for a normal full week this time and it won't be so bananas.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist Was the material loss due to an issue with the steel, the size of the blade, or something else? Just curious, I'm guessing it's not easy to make such a large blade.

We had some challenges scaling up our heat treat but we have it figured out now.

Nothing is ever easy

In some ways, these are literally the best swords in the world. It shouldn't be easy.

Back