The restoration begins

Cobalt

Gold Member
Just for a more old school topic, like the old days.
Cliffs sent me his knife over 2-3 years ago. It took me a week just to get the stench off it. Smelled like a water buffaloes rectum. It also cut me, and I was sure I was going to get some disease as the cut was deep and it was dirty. Luckily, nothing happened. This knife started out life as an LE grade blade, sans LE number and smooth bolts. So the skin on this blade was originally smooth. Like this:
kH0gr3w.jpg

Then cliff got it new in 1998 and spent the next 2 decades using it to reshape Newfoundland.
It spent years looking like this:
1aaBQN0.jpg

vNiqfe7.jpg

I have started to clean this blade up and try a mild resto on it. I have done a bit of work on it and it is looking like this now, and not done yet. That's the 3 foot view
PKyt8lK.jpg

Once cleaned up, sanded and sharpened it will be time to start using her again.

Cliffs sent me his knife over 2-3 years ago. It took me a week just to get the stench off it. Smelled like a water buffaloes rectum. It also cut me, and I was sure I was going to get some disease as the cut was deep and it was dirty. Luckily, nothing happened. This knife started out life as an LE grade blade, sans LE number and smooth bolts. So the skin on this blade was originally smooth. Like this:
kH0gr3w.jpg

Then cliff got it new in 1998 and spent the next 2 decades using it to reshape Newfoundland.
1aaBQN0.jpg

vNiqfe7.jpg

I have started to clean this blade up and try a mild resto on it. I have done a bit of work on it and it is looking like this now, and not done yet. That's the 3 foot view
PKyt8lK.jpg

Good thing the bolts weren't smooth so you could completely strip it. Well done!

Zieg

Nice! Those old Mistresses are the bees knees!
Those hand shaped tips/bellies were the best.

True. But there was a huge variation in profile. I have SHBM's as thick as 0.3" and as thin as 0.245. Blade profiles from flat to a slight convex. You could not make a sheath that fits all of them because Jerry ground most of them himself and it all depended on how much scotch he had had.

True. But there was a huge variation in profile. I have SHBM's as thick as 0.3" and as thin as 0.245. Blade profiles from flat to a slight convex. You could not make a sheath that fits all of them because Jerry ground most of them himself and it all depended on how much scotch he had had.

Finally!

Someone who understands the process!!!

Let's Drink!

Jerry

word

kH0gr3w.jpg

1aaBQN0.jpg

vNiqfe7.jpg

PKyt8lK.jpg

LEGEND

Back