Off Topic The Snark Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Warrior

🇮‌🇳‌🇸‌🇦‌🇳‌🇪‌ 🇻‌🇮‌🇰‌🇮‌🇳‌🇬‌
Looky like the Bladite shut the old one down. Gitter done.

home-pick.png

that Warrior guy ... so many started threads. sad :D

intervention time...

i've been watching "life below zero" on netflix. life in alaska, told in micro chapters. cool.

one of the people is using a newish Fiskars splitting maul.

apparently it can deal with -40 temps just fine. good to know :D

for the record, Husqvarna has a 2800ish gram splitting axe in polymer. pretty damn awesome.

not great steel, but it works great.

the related and slightly lighter forest axe is a huge hitter.

In on one! Have to go back and catch up on the old one though... So far behind...

It's that new common core math ... 500 is the new 1000.

:D

IO1.

As someone currently taking a break from doing common core math... I don't think so. Way too few letters and not nearly enough backwards thinking. ;) Dumbest thing I've ever had to do.o_O

Helping my son with his math homework is the worst. I can tell him how to work the problem, but he has to "prove" how he came up with the solution, which entails engaging in some convoluted, nonsensical, over-the-top machinations just to arrive at the same conclusion, had he just carried the 1...

I understand that there is some so-called science behind the mandate for common core, but whoever came up with it probably never counted on having to teach the previous generations how to do math again.

Helping my son with his math homework is the worst. I can tell him how to work the problem, but he has to "prove" how he came up with the solution, which entails engaging in some convoluted, nonsensical, over-the-top machinations just to arrive at the same conclusion, had he just carried the 1...

I understand that there is some so-called science behind the mandate for common core, but whoever came up with it probably never counted on having to teach the previous generations how to do math again.

The whole school system needs to be reworked to prepare students for, you know, life after school. I and most of other highschool students would have no clue how to do taxes, balance a checkbook, etc if out parents didn't show us (and a lot haven't)... It's just flat stupid that learning how to add/subtract/divide/multiply 1000 and 2500 a billion different ways is prioritized over learning actual skills that I'm going to need in a little over a year. I realize doing math well is an important life skill, but its using 20 different complicated formulas really better than just doing it like people have done it forever?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back