Off Topic The Snark Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have actually seen Styx live......in 1980 (possibly '81 - long time ago....). Used to have the 3/4 sleeve baseball T to prove it. Talented musicians, to be sure. Also, Lou Gramm(attico) graduated from my high school. Not that it has any relevance.....

Math....very important. All the world is math. Cell phones, GPS, toasters, bicycles, cars.....even knives (edge geometry? heat treating? retail price vs. material costs? Even "1095" is math. Deal.

At the local bar.
gQ2dSTw.png

"It's another Beautiful Day at the Red Pony Bar and Continual Soiree`"
0dwkp0p.jpg

Makes me want to bing watch LONGMIRE again on Netflix this weekend.
iDeLYyc.jpg

Last edited:
In on 3 where the cool kids be!

Teaching kids real life is important, and girls like guys with skills. Napoleon Dynamite taught me this. That's why every chance I get I try to brush up on my nun-chuck and bow staff skills.

dunno. my dad had an accountant for most of that stuff. i couldn't afford that, so i taught myself. might have read a book on the topic too. tax forms do have complete instructions online these days. it's complicated, but doable.

yeah, it's nice if SOMEONE bootstraps you, but there's a lot of parents these days without the skills. couldn't learn hunting from my dad, since he has never done it, despite being proficient with firearms (which i did learn). he also pretty much knew nothing about a lot of skills i have now. as well, he had a lot of skills i likely won't, for various reasons.

Absolutely, a lot can be learned from the internet or books, and a lot of things you just have to teach yourself. The problem (at least in my opinion) is that instead of teaching the best/fastest/most reliable ways to do math, the current way is to teach several other, far more complicated, completely backwards ways of doing it. I think that time could be used for teaching something like doing taxes or something else useful that most kids don't know how to do when they come out of high school.

Math....very important. All the world is math. Cell phones, GPS, toasters, bicycles, cars.....even knives (edge geometry? heat treating? retail price vs. material costs? Even "1095" is math. Deal.

I realize doing math well is an important life skill, but its using 20 different complicated formulas really better than just doing it like people have done it forever?

Very true, math is one of the most useful and important things to learn. The problem is with how it's taught now. Here are a couple pictures I found that should show what I mean a bit better than I can explain it.

834730630.jpg

I can tell you off the top of my head that 7 x 5 is 35, that's 1st grade stuff, but even if I couldn't there are far better ways to figure that out. No one is ever going to use that method outside the classroom, so why teach it?

BjKnf9CIcAAuiqz.jpg

Again, who is ever going to use that method outside of the classroom?

Atta boy!!
I admire your dedication. :thumbsup:
There's only a few bars around here that carry bottles. But it seems like all the uppity joints are even carrying the tall boys now.

Well, it was cheaper than Manny's.

Although, halfway through the night (was participating in a weekly cribbage tournament at the bar) I switched to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale because it was on sale and cheaper than Rainier; how's that for strange occurrences.

that's how kids are learning math now??? that is completely insane!

on another news... I just had to try, and burned a Dorito chip 5 minutes ago. Work firewall won't let me upload from photobucket, so I'll do that later. If you haven't seen a video of it, it is not fake. The chip will burn to black while emitting black smoke and a burned plastic smell. It is not reduced to ashes but kinda keeps the same shape, although a bit folded over. One thing is for sure, once the fire catches on, it makes for decent tinder. That chip burned for a solid minute, against a light breeze, the flame being fed from the fat that leaked out. Truly gross...I think I will print pics and pin them to the fridge, if I'm ever tempted to eat that again.

Doritos are good tinder, but take up way more storage space than, well, normal tinder. I understand the appeal of alternative fuel sources, but if you have doritos with you you probably have better tinders anyway. Plus, doritos actually taste good, unlike normal tinder. :p

I guess it will make for an interesting camp challenge, bunch of pyros that we are:

" OK guys, you scrape/curl tinder from dry branches, I'll just use a bic and a couple of Dorito chips, let's see who gets a fire going first!"

Absolutely, a lot can be learned from the internet or books, and a lot of things you just have to teach yourself. The problem (at least in my opinion) is that instead of teaching the best/fastest/most reliable ways to do math, the current way is to teach several other, far more complicated, completely backwards ways of doing it. I think that time could be used for teaching something like doing taxes or something else useful that most kids don't know how to do when they come out of high school.

Very true, math is one of the most useful and important things to learn. The problem is with how it's taught now. Here are a couple pictures I found that should show what I mean a bit better than I can explain it.

834730630.jpg

I can tell you off the top of my head that 7 x 5 is 35, that's 1st grade stuff, but even if I couldn't there are far better ways to figure that out. No one is ever going to use that method outside the classroom, so why teach it?

BjKnf9CIcAAuiqz.jpg

Again, who is ever going to use that method outside of the classroom?

This is what we in Canada call "discovery math." It is the reason our math scores have been consistently falling year after year. Teaching math in this way makes it MUCH more difficult for children to learn. Memorization was considered "too robotic" by the quackademics though so they decided this is the future of math teaching. However because of math being taught this way most kids today do not know 7x6 off the top of their heads. Memorization is clearly the better system. Good luck trying to get them to go back to it though. That would mean the quackademics who staked their PHDs on this type of new teaching were wrong! Heaven forbid.

I'll never forget the time I saw in Walmart Drake's album in the chip aisle amongst the bags of chips. That means someone had Drake's album in their hands and put it back deciding to get a bag of Doritios instead.

He made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back