The Titanium Pencil...

I've been following the other thread for a while. I'd definetly say that I am interested in one those nifty pencils. Might scare away the engineers here at work...guess I'd have to keep it at home ;)

Ted

Steve will have no Titanium Deficiency. :D He shall be solid Titanium, I have spoken, and it is so.

Honestly Steve,
Thats a sweet idea. Maybe not shirt pocket, but pants pocket.

Reed

I'll be posting pencil specs in a couple of days. As I e-mailed to Don, resources are in competition at this time. I need to nail down a few production specifics with some other folks, then I will be placing another material order.

Kelt, the pencils I measured varied (by different manufacturer) I opted to make it a little smaller than a Bic pen. A bic cap will not fit, the point extends through the end of the cap. An aftermarket clip may fit, can't say for sure yet, I haven't tried it.

I will give weight and length specs after the weekend. FWIW, the Ti pencil is significantly heavier than a traditional wooden one. An aluminum one would be also. It is considerably lighter than a steel one. This is not something you'll want to toss up and stick into a ceiling tile! As for sticking it behind one's ear, I have a crew cut and I have difficulty keeping the pencil in place. A friend grabbed the tipencil and stuck it under the band of the ball cap he was wearing leaving the eraser end out. He always works that way, pulling the pencil out and sticking it back with a speed that makes me wince. He stated he had no problem with the weight.

More info coming later, have a good day.

Rearic, please put me down for one. Will go nice with the JSP,Emerson and Strider stuff.

For those who have asked and those who are curious:

A Dixon Ticonderoga #2 pencil unsharpened = 5.0 grams
Sharpened to 7" length = 3.9 grams
The Ti pencil sharpened to 7" length = 31.6 grams
If it were made of 6061-T6 Aluminum = 19.02 grams
Or A-2 Tool Steel = 55.62 grams

Have a good day.

Right at about eight times the weight of a similiar sized pencil in wood seems like an excellent trade-off of strength to weight versus the aluminum and A2 you cited.

Sounds like that was the way to go to me. :D

Eight times the weight of a wood pencil, that's great.

Thanks for the info and update.

Sheesh! I gotta stop peeking at this forum....costs way too much :D

Okay Don&Will, I gotta have two!

Bob

I am doing one of these :D over the possibility of behind-the-ear carry. Please put me down for one.

All these titanium goodies are driving me crazy. That said, please put me down for two. Thanks.

Behind-the-ear carry seems to be the way to go with those... I've been trying it with regular pencils, and it can be pretty fast and deceptive with a little practice.
I'll probably end up purchasing two - one for myself and one for the wife. Can't wait to find out how much they'll cost.

Leo

HEY! Now there's an idea! Women can do their hair up with them (don't ask me how - I KNOW they can). If they get into trouble, they reach up, and viola! Two Ti pencils - one in each hand. AND, as an added benefit, any onlookers get that cool, action movie type effect of the hair coming down and landing on her shoulders as she gets ready to dispatch the BGs. Oooo.... I think I need to be alone now. :D

See there! Women in the OSS [Like Julia Childs, who was in the OSS, truth is stranger than fiction] were sometimes issued the fancy spike daggers that are similar to the Ti-Pencil to do just that.

They were called "Hairpin Daggers."

Hi,

my friend PROTECTOR told me that you are developing a solid metal pen to be used as a kubota/self defense tool. When PROTECTOR told me I really feel curiously due to 7 or 8 month ago, I posted in the BladeForums asking about if the metal pen exists.

This is a good think ans, please, keep me informed about it... as soon as it will be avaliable you must send one to Spain.... :)

Be safe.

Osvaldo

Back