The "Whatever" Thread

So..how were the skeeters?
One spring at the Chena River Pump House, a bar outside Fairbanks, my friend and I had a skeeter stacking contest while sipping some Alaska Amber. The highest stack was nearly 5".

Another time, I watched my friend's chocolate lab dive into the river to avoid the skeeters. The dog stayed there with only his snout and top of the head exposed while a cloud of skeeters circled above.

So these were the knives that got me through 4 years in Alaska:
2PeXre4.jpg

In reality you could do everything you needed with those four. For many years I got by with a Buck 119, a Buck 112, a Frontier stockman, and a Vic Tinker.

One spring at the Chena River Pump House, a bar outside Fairbanks, my friend and I had a skeeter stacking contest while sipping some Alaska Amber. The highest stack was nearly 5".

Another time, I watched my friend's chocolate lab dive into the river to avoid the skeeters. The dog stayed there with only his snout and top of the head exposed while a cloud of skeeters circled above.

The mosquitoes in AK leave footprints. You dare not even open your mouth, they are flying in there.

best

mqqn

awesome!

i'm back from vacation. heading home after work. hoping to find that Twig Mangler waiting. so excited! ;)

ehaaZjI.jpg

One of my favorite chores for my knives is making fresh guacamole. I'm not sure there's something better for getting a patina going

How did you like using the Glock field knife? Sharp enough for tough work but left the finer tasks to the other blades?

How did you like using the Glock field knife? Sharp enough for tough work but left the finer tasks to the other blades?
The Field knife worked great. It was much easier to pull out than the folders. Used it to open plenty of MREs and Arctic rations. Back then, I didn't do many wood fires. Carried an MSR Wisperlight everywhere. The saw worked ok when I needed it. The blade was fairly thick for its height so it was a challenge to sharpen well. If I needed something sharper, I'd pull out the lock back.

Pretty bad when it's May, 44 degrees out, and I'm mowing the grass with a flannel shirt, heavy sweatshirt, and stocking cap!

Pretty bad when it's May, 44 degrees out, and I'm mowing the grass with a flannel shirt, heavy sweatshirt, and stocking cap!
yuuup. coming back from vaca sunday, i left annapolis about noon...it was 81. i got back to VT about 9p, and it was 41. a 40 degree difference!! o_O

It's currently 80* with a Heat Index of 91*. I sure could use a 40* temperature drop...

I can't wait to see my Bluegill and Sparky! John's email the other day got me giddy as a schoolgirl.

A mowing Lumber-sexual!

I had a t-shirt and long pants on - it is around 47 here - my grass was at least 8" - was in Las Vegas for a week and then when I got back last Thursday it rained literally every day until just today. I still put some muddy ruts in the ditch out front, but the grass is knocked down to 4" and hopefully can dry out.

They did change the forecast to rain tonight and tomorrow......

best

mqqn

It's been raining here just as long and, surprise! It rained again today. Everything here near the Fox River is mud. My back yard is turning into a jungle. The river is about 2' higher than it should be and moving fast. Not that I can go fish or kayak anyway.

By the look of it, I might be able to mow my lawn by Friday as there's only a 10% chance of more rain on that day.

On Saturday we had 12" of snow. It was melting away on Sunday evening and completely gone by Monday afternoon. Gotta love Spring in Denver.

Over the past couple of weeks daytime highs have been anywhere from low 60's to 90°. Our lawn is growing fast including some unusual weeds that I assume are here because of the flood last summer. I can handle the dandelions and wild onions but the new invaders are a bit more robust. This Saturday we venture into New Castle, VA for a festival:
https://prepperfestival.com/about/

Back