Theamazingdrew & Captain Spaulding Project

Theamazingdrew offered up a custom knife in the Pay it forward forum and I was the lucky guy. What will follow is the design process and pics (if Drew has the time and inclination). Thanks again Drew, you rule.

As a Chef I do a TON of garnish and I especially like to do fairly intricate melon carvings to hone my knife skills and grab peoples attention. I would LOVE a new melon carving knife. Here is what I currently use, made in Thailand.

knife2.jpg

2.5" blade, super thin and razor sharp. I like it but I would much prefer a 3" blade that runs up to a small bird beak in the last 1/4" so I can do super precision work.

Here are a few examples of what I do and the application of the knife.

2wbxkyt.jpg

10gahd4.jpg

ruz3mf.jpg

ok, so what are you looking to change from this design?
small recurve at the end?
are we doing the same kind of handle?

I think the handle could be improved to be honest...it is used much like a scalpel.

Yes a small re-curve at the end...given the use and how the knife is typically held (scalpel) do you have any thoughts on improving the tubular handle?

if thats all you use it for I dont think it can be improved much, other than some nice wood.
how thin is the blade?

I don't have a micrometer but the spine is roughly the thickness of the cardboard they used on my storm proof matches.

Pretty thin. I would imagine that will be a challenge to achieve...but then again my grinding skills are to knife making what cancer is to comedy.

I would suggest being creative with the handle...maybe something along the lines fo the Cold Steel Espada handle shape would be slick.

csstoreonline_2100_5713374

Maybe that shape reversed so it wraps up under the heel of my palm.

That is about what I was thinking but can you curve the handle up at the same radius as the blade so it is an "s" shape?

Also, the spine could be a bit thicker as long as the last 1/4-3/8" of the blade is razor sharp/thin...that will get the most business.

perfect!

that should fit my hand perfectly, especially when I am pinching the blade for the super delicate stuff.

cut+ground and ready for HT
bladejpg.jpg

the last 1/4 is EXTREMLY THIN
the thickest part you see is just under 3/32"
spinejpg.jpg

Cool designs and awesome work, by both of you. Hey Spalding this looks like a good working knife but also looks like a good gut slicing knife for those who are foolish enough to give a negative critique of your work.;)

Back