This is a shame!!!

Vermonster

I apologies for being unclear. Arguements should be taken on their own merit. Whether someone has an insight, or relies on primary and secondary experience, should not be relevant to the strength of the position taken.

Everyone is equally entitled to voice an opinion and each should be adequately reinforced with evidence. It matters little whether someone is an experienced firefighter, you sould not discount them when they are telling your your firehose is disconnected. When we take the position that the only opinions that matter are those that have "been there and done that" we are doing a disservice to ourselves and others. We are just limiting the discussion and closing our field of perception to a handfull of like minded individuals.

What better way to propogate and maintain a fantasy.
"Expert opinion supports my point of view." So what? Expert opinion once thought the Earth was flat, that the universe revolved around the Earth, and that flight and space travel were impossible, and that the computer and word processor market was small and limited to a handful of secretaries. Expert have opined that we would have met our demise many times over; by now we should have been out of food, housing, energy, water, and who knows what else. In each case expert opinion has been shown to be wrong.

People who are confident like to maintain an open dialog and to take in as much as they can. Combining the imputs of different fields is a good way to develop creativity. It is only when they lack confidence that they want to close the discussion and accept only the thoughts of the converted faithful.

n2s

not2sharp,

Thank you for clarifying, no need to apologies as you did nothing wrong. I appreciate your view on this. I really do.

I would like to point out that Expert opinion did once think the Earth was flat, but it took one to go and do to prove that it was not.
It was the "book smart experts" that stated these things, not the ones that did them.
It took action.
Not that being book smart is bad either as knowledge is powerful, but knowledge gained from actual doing is even more powerful.

I do agree that we must take in things from ALL directions.

( I hope I am being clear as well and this does not sound like mumbo-jumbo)

edited becuase I can't spell

I've been busy lately with the crap at OSU, so I have barely followed this. Now I think I can at least make a few comments without being totally irresponsible:

I wish Greg Walker good luck. I too respected his opinions and his proclaimed courtesy. However, it appears he allowed himself to be provoked into some actions which even I would question. I would still welcome him back, and I regret not participating on this forum more than I did.

But I don't understand the ire shown to Blues and Leo Daher. Also, Greg should expect to catch some heat--A LOT OF HEAT--from his position on gun rights. It connoted an elitist position, which surprised me.

Not2sharp: Excellent post on "experience is usually demanded by scoundrels."

Again, good luck to Mr. Walker.

Karl

Karl,

I didn't want to go back to this, but the talk about Greg Walker being the subject of a "lynching" for his proclaimed instance on gun rights was nothing but a bald-faced LIE. The truth is, almost all of the folks who in the past have demolished anyone who espoused a similarly elitist point of view on these forums chose to remain silent this time, obviously due to the fact that he was a moderator and a well-known person.

As for his ire towards me, it's anyone's guess. I believe he just couldn't accept the idea of someone disagreeing with him, even though I always addressed him with respect - a lot more respect in fact than he ever deserved, judging by his stupid "toads on the road" comment later on. Those who botther to check the two threads in which I dared question him will see that I always behaved as a man, without resorting to name calling and snide remarks.

The truth is, as a forumite, Greg did contribute with some interesting posts, but as a moderator, he left a lot to be desired. Moderating a forum has nothing to do with being a petty tyrant and only giving voice to those who agree with you.

Leo

Hi Leo. I don't even have to read--or re-read--the threads in question to check what you said. I've had nothing but respect for you from what I've seen on BF and KF since when I began lurking. I don't know why Greg said what he did.

His exhortations to be polite and courteous at all times were great. I just wish everyone could be so at all times.

Hope you're enjoying the U.S!

Karl

Thanks, Karl. :)

Yes, the wife and I love it here. As far as I'm concerned, this is truly the greatest country in the World, due in great part to its unique history of respect for the individual rights (included, but not limited to, the right to self-protection).

Leo

Hi LK. Read "What happened to the air marshall thread" for starters. Find Hankreardon2000 and email him for the deleted thread if you want as well. Read the "Blues" thread, too. There are a couple more. Just go down the list and scan the first post for clues. Hope this helps.

Gotta get to bed now, good night!

Karl

Back