THIS is the anything goes, keep it clean, blow off steam, W&SS chat.

It's hard to resist if you're one of the those “I'd wade nostril deep through a mile of vomit” if that's what it takes types though. I'd be very interesting in seeing the notes from his interrogation. Whilst I'm not one of those always leave a note with mummy to tell her where you are types, if he's gone somewhere remote and not clued someone in, or didn't rent an Iridium, or have flares, or even a heliograph, then I think he deserves whatever shite and smite we can pile on him. I guess we'll never know. Burning his tent down somewhere like below hints that I should retain my pessimism.
1339699940000_Bilde_1_4367597978x1200r.jpg

That is exactly what I mean. If I suffered a broken ankle in that location and spent 3 days on the rock, I would have no quams with torturing baby seals if they screamed louder than I could.

That is exactly what I mean. If I suffered a broken ankle in that location and spent 3 days on the rock, I would have no quams with torturing baby seals if they screamed louder than I could.
I think one gave a baby seal a go on the bownana right in front of the mother a vocal siren would pop out and grant wishes. ;-)

Yup, it's been all over the news here the past couple of weeks.

So now those who've been staying in the high sierra camps are at risk too. Sketchy.

I'm poking this up because of the amount of people that post pics and video here....................Adobe have just made a bunch of stuff from their old Creative Suite available to you gratis. You could have some, none, or all of it to play about with including Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Premiere Pro amongst a bunch of other stuff. True many of us including me are on Photoshop CS6, but if you know anything about Photoshop you'll know that despite CS2 being a bit long in the tooth it's hardly a slouch. And even if you you run the excellent Gimp you might want a squint at this too..........The catch, you'll probably have to make a free account so Mailinator or something, ho hum. Anyway, as you can see the serial numbers are all there amongst the pickings. Enjoy. https://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Adobe have just made a bunch of stuff from their old Creative Suite available to you gratis. You could have some, none, or all of it to play about with including Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Premiere Pro amongst a bunch of other stuff. True many of us including me are on Photoshop CS6, but if you know anything about Photoshop you'll know that despite CS2 being a bit long in the tooth it's hardly a slouch. And even if you you run the excellent Gimp you might want a squint at this too........
I think I'll just stick to posting pics straight off the camera, because I have no idea what you just said! :confused:

yessss, you're an excellent gimp
tumblr_mc219cEAu11rnm1ldo1_500.gif

Went to visit the Royal Belgian Institute for Natural Sciences today. Interesting museum, one that I've visited quite often. There was an interesting temporary exposition on primitive tools and some DIY areas. Some of 'em "learned" how to make flint tools ("learned" between brackets because that isn't a skill you acquire in a 5 minute course). Others learned how to throw spears effectively, how to make leather flexible,... Most of 'em were somewhat aimed at children, but I thought they were most interesting.
The one I found most informative, was how to make fire with basic tools such as a rounded piece of flint, a piece of marcasite or pyrite and some fungus.
It really works like a charm, too. Definitely something I'll be trying in m backyard one of these days.

Basically, you crumble pieces of the fungus/spunk into a somewhat brownish and powder-like substance. Hold the piece of marcasite next to it, and strike it with the flint. The motion you do with the flint is somewhat in between knocking on the marcasite and stroking the sides of it, you get a hold of it rather quickly. The fungus catches a spark rather easily and with a few slight blows, the glowing spreads. If you have enough of the glowing fungus, just scoop it up, put it in a bowl of tinder such as dry grass, blow and it catches fire like a charm.
It really was a fire I was able to make in less than 2 minutes.

I loved to learn about these old methods, didn't know about the fungus as tinder either... Probably nothing new for many among you guys, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I looked at youtube and found a vid that pretty much demonstrates what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxNwNpXYFig
It takes quite some strikes for his tinder to catch a spark, but his marcasite doesn't seem to be generating a lot of sparks altogether. He also holds his stones rather high, we were tought to keep the marcasite on the ground next to the fungus. Less distance to travel for the spark, hence less time for it to cool and disappear.

Found a scientific article on the process too. For those interested, you can always mail me for the pdf. I was able to download it for free using my university's account.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1003802432463?LI=true

Back