Thoughts on the Wave...?

Hi,we are sorry for this issue.did you guys tried to using alcohol to wipe it off ?

Tried just about everything that wasn't abrasive, appears to be in the metal pretty good :(
G2

Well.This is a mark left by our QC,if you can not clean it,and if you really don't like the mark on the blade,we can replace a new one for you.My e-mail : shera@retaeknives.com.
Thank you.

I appreciate the offer but it is something that I can live with, not a real defect in the knife, just a small cosmetic one.

If you can find out what the numbers were meant to convey from QC, that would help when folks ask me what they mean.

Thanks,
G2

Hi, Gary's write-up and pictures make me want to buy a Reate Wave.
Do all the Reate Wave with dealers right now have this marking?. Or is this just a random marking on some knives by quality control. Would prefer to buy a Wave without these markings if possible. Don't want to have to send it in for a blade replacement. Any thoughts on this Shera?. Thank you.
Gary, very nice pictures and a sharp eye on you to catch this marking.

Thanks Raj, but I think it would be hard to discern at the dealers, as the knife was in a sealed plastic bag, so they would have to slice it open which some people probably might not like that so much as then the question would be if it was used/displayed/returned type thing, so a sealed bag is a great thing in that case.

G2

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. Nice to know that the Wave comes in a sealed bag. Maybe if quality control just stamped a few and not all, then some may luck out and get one without marking.But if quality control stamped them all, then all the knives will have the marking, but we will at least know that QC did look at all the knives.

If it is a marking, time may matter. Getting it off earlier with acetone or carb cleaner etc will prevent etching over time if the ink is even just a hair acidic.

Everyone recommended good stuff but I'll add acetone. It's pretty hot for getting inks and oils off. If it can come off, that should do it. Even thought it's a stainless, I would apply an oil after an acetone clean.

Thanks, I've not tried acetone yet, will see if I can get a small amount and give that a whirl.
G2

I appreciate the offer but it is something that I can live with, not a real defect in the knife, just a small cosmetic one.

If you can find out what the numbers were meant to convey from QC, that would help when folks ask me what they mean.

Thanks,
G2

Hi Gary,there is no sense of this number,just a mark for QC which can easily for their works.And they forgot to clean it up on this blade.

Last edited:
Hi, Gary's write-up and pictures make me want to buy a Reate Wave.
Do all the Reate Wave with dealers right now have this marking?. Or is this just a random marking on some knives by quality control. Would prefer to buy a Wave without these markings if possible. Don't want to have to send it in for a blade replacement. Any thoughts on this Shera?. Thank you.
Gary, very nice pictures and a sharp eye on you to catch this marking.

Hi Raj,This problem haven't happened before and I am sure that this issue won't happen again.If you still worried about it,you can assure with our dealers before you pay for it.Thank you for your support.
Reate Knives.
Shera

Hi Shera, thank you for the reply. Hopefully I will get a Reate Wave without the markings.

Thanks Daniel, good to know that there are some cleaner ones out there, mine is # 287

G2

I guess nobody has actually used a wave yet... not hijacking because it is my thread, plus hijacking has already occurred. I have, and use hard a horizon d cf. I really use the knife..... it holds up great, good job on the heat treated, comfortable in hand.
Just to be clear, I am not fondling this knife for a year and selling at a loss, my mom bought me this knife and I cut stuff with it.
Now back to your regular programming.....:cool:
Russ

Sorry for any derailment, wasn't meant to be but it was related to the condition the knife arrived and as you see there was yet another similar, so that would possibly save you some questions if yours arrived with a similar marking.

As to rough tough down and dirty use of the folder? well, I view it as more of a gentleman's folder than heavy duty BUT with as thick a blade stock and also being M390, I would not hesitate to use this harder than your typical gentleman's folder. The grip feels great in the hand, mine at least, and the textured inlays do provide some nice grip texture. Not sure how well mud and grit will abrade those finely machined surfaces but should be easy to wash off.

Since you have a Reate model already, albeit a larger version, you know how well they are designed/made, high tolerance is there, great fit and finish are also there, they do an exceptional job and at their price point, you would expect nothing less.

G2

ps, excellent mom you got there ! mine never bought me a knife of any merit :)

I hope it's alright if I jump into this thread rather than starting a new one. My first post on this forum, though I've been a lurker for some time. I am not as knowledgeable as most of you in regards to maintenance, and have a question about my newly acquired Wave. In fact it's my first flipper. Based on video reviews I'd watched, I was expecting smoother action. If flips open just fine, but doesn't close under its own weight as easily as I would have expected. When I move the blade open and closed, it almost feels a bit gritty. My other knives do not have this feeling, but this is my first knife on bearings. Is this expected when new? Or is this possibly some grit that could be blown out if I disassemble the knife? I'd appreciate any help you could offer, thanks.

Other than that, by the way, I love this knife after a few days ownership. Fits my medium sized hand perfectly, sharpest blade I've used from the factory, a pleasure to cut up all of those boxes I was saving up for the big day :)

Welcome to the forum! and as to the feel, mine was sort of like that, a few drops of Nano oil and now it can close on the blades weight with a little bit of snapping action, as the lock bar is still applying pressure so you do want that lock bar to be doing it's thing.

G2

Welcome to the forum! and as to the feel, mine was sort of like that, a few drops of Nano oil and now it can close on the blades weight with a little bit of snapping action, as the lock bar is still applying pressure so you do want that lock bar to be doing it's thing.

G2

Thanks Gary. Stupid question here, but do I need to disassemble it, or just drop it in near the pivot?

Back