Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolling
Can one anyone tell me how many attachments a Platinum membership is allowed? Thanks.
Not enough to justify the cost. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

i am at:

770 / 500 (154%)
144 / 200 MB (72%)

Which is frustrating because I shrink all my photos and remain well under my MB data allotment but due to the the item limit I am blocked from posting new photos. I am not knowledgeable about computer stuff, but I don’t understand why the MB limit doesn’t control vs. the item limit?

I have some seriously cool blades to share with all you lovely people but I have not been able to post pics for many months. I am feeling like it is almost time to totally panic and freak out and start deleting old photos, but I have not worked myself up into a frenzy yet, so maybe in May?
I've been idly wondering why there is a number limit at all. I can understand a storage limit, but a gig is a gig and meg is a meg. It shouldn't matter whether the allotment is used up by 1000 images or by 100 images, but it apparently it does 🤔

Fswrwkl.jpeg

Bob

And I still argue that the hard storage limits that we paid for are not adequate for long term members if the wish is to have them continue contributing to the site....if their contributions are no longer deemed important than so be it🤷🏻‍♂️
I guess that means I haven't been contributing anything to the site for the last 18 years, since I still have 0 attachments. Thanks a lot.

I've been idly wondering why there is a number limit at all. I can understand a storage limit, but a gig is a gig and meg is a meg. It shouldn't matter whether the allotment is used up by 1000 images or by 100 images, but it apparently it does 🤔

Which takes longer for search to sort through, 100 large files or 1,000 small files? Which would you rather check out manually to find the one you're looking for?

So we still have no way to delete in bulk ? While I do participate from time to time in some select threads I rarely post images unless I am selling something/ I have no issue deleting stuff I sold years ago but doing it one image at a time is crazy. Had I known there was a limit of 500 going in I could have tended to it as I went along every few months.

Not much point in trying to sell a few knives at a loss here now if I need to spend most of a day trying to get room to do so one at a time. If I can't sell the occasional knife once in a while and I rarely buy anymore there not much point in keeping a Gold membership now.

So we still have no way to delete in bulk ? While I do participate from time to time in some select threads I rarely post images unless I am selling something/ I have no issue deleting stuff I sold years ago but doing it one image at a time is crazy. Had I known there was a limit of 500 going in I could have tended to it as I went along every few months.

Not much point in trying to sell a few knives at a loss here now if I need to spend most of a day trying to get room to do so one at a time. If I can't sell the occasional knife once in a while and I rarely buy anymore there not much point in keeping a Gold membership now.

It’s much easier and faster to go directly to your sale threads where the attachments are, “edit” the post and delete all the attachments.

Last edited:
Because if I recall, all the images over quota broke some search functions?
That seems like a software problem as opposed to a capacity problem, but I'll just admit that I don't understand and its not important that I do :)

It’s much easier and faster to go directly to your sale threads where the attachments are, “edit” the post and delete all the attachments.
Thank you. I did find that tip a few pages back. Still a slow process. One would think a small programming change could add a bulk delete option much like for messages though and make a lot of people happy.

Update: several hours of deleting attachments via my posts rather than the attachment link and I am down from 1275 to 365. Faster for sure.

Last edited:
I don't see what any of this has to do with a shortage of storage 🤷‍♂️
It's not just a storage problem, it is a resource problem. That's why there is a limit on the number of attachments. Each of those files has a filename, whether the file takes up 1 kb or 100 Mb. When search tries to parse all the filenames to find the one someone is looking for, having a billion filenames is a problem.

This has become even more of a pain in the butt with the recent changes to Instagram. I can no longer find a way to automatically resize my uploads on Instagram and have to do it manually with a different program.

I don't usually post photos directly to the forum because of the small size limitation, but I was going to start doing that more often with the changes to Instagram... And to prevent a future photobucket situation. I can’t tell you how much of a bummer it is to go into an instructional thread in the knifemakers subforum, only to find all the pictures broken.

I guess uploading directly to the website isn’t going to be a good option either with the current limitations. I’m looking for a more permanent solution than having to delete old pictures to post new pictures.

This is what I currently have to do to post pics here with the Imgur changes….

Take photos with my phone.
Email photos to myself.
Use my computer to resize the photos so they don’t take up the whole screen (or more).
Upload the photos to Imgur.
Post the link from Imgur to BladeForums.

It’s honestly a headache and has definitely resulted in me posting fewer pictures, and just posting less in general.

I don’t know what the solution is, other than maybe an unlimited photo add-on tier…. But I hope a good fix is found. The site has been hemorrhaging some of my favorite posters.

On another note…. And I should probably just go ahead and make a thread just for this, but can someone please tell me why I am only allowed 100 conversations and 500 total messages with a $350 dealer membership when I was allowed 200 conversations and 500 total messages with a $60/$75 platinum or knifemaker membership???

It’s a pain to constantly delete conversations. My dealer membership is up this month, and I’m actually thinking of dropping back to a platinum membership because of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back