Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to the bottom of your attachments list - it will show where you are with regard to both number of attachments and amount of storage
Thank you ! Seems I'm way off limits... But I find ridiculous to delete pictures. I have to find another way !

If only there were other places online to post or look at nekkid ladies without being forced to do it on a knife forum.

Oh well. Back to scroll.click.click.scroll.scroll ~ scratch one post. Only 4000 to go.

Just a reminder to those who are deleting, along with waiting for alternatives (as I am doing, since I have lots of images that are not knife content and sooooo many old sale threads. These could have been deleted long ago without compromise to historical BF.)

From the ATTACHMENT PAGES - EASIER to delete if you simply "VIEW POST" and delete photos from the actual post - save the post text or some variant - then clic out. That returns you to the attachment page from where you left off. Then select the next one down or up as the case may be. The images do not show deleted from the attachment page UNTIL you go to another page - so better to work your way up or down the page and keep track somewhat methodically rather than skipping all around. IF you delete using the garbage can icon you get dumped back to page 1 every time and then need to find your way back 50 pages (more or less). :mad:

Also - there are some images which have NO DELETE OPTION. These are in threads that are controlled by other than you. I have at least 120 images so far that I can't delete. Hoping there will be a resolution for that.

I guess should of browsed over here. I started deleting a few but still no luck. Guess I will just ride things out for a bit and see what happens.👍

From the ATTACHMENT PAGES - EASIER to delete if you simply "VIEW POST" and delete photos from the actual post - save the post text or some variant - then clic out. That returns you to the attachment page from where you left off.
What happens if you click "Refresh" at this point?

I do not have more than a page of attachments to try this myself.

Bob

What happens if you click "Refresh" at this point?

I do not have more than a page of attachments to try this myself.

Bob

That does get you back to the correct page. BUT - you are kind of deleting blindly, i.e.,

1) some images are best left remaining as they do contribute solid info to the thread.

2) You are leaving text behind which teases without any photographic support. I've chosen not to be so cutthroat in my deleting. Just my preference. If you post was simply an image in a thread then the remaining text will read - view attachment #### - without being anything to view or link to.

Last edited:
That does get you back to the correct page. BUT - you are kind of deleting blindly, i.e.,

1) some images are best left remaining as they do contribute solid info to the thread.

2) You are leaving text behind which teases without any photographic support. I've chosen not to be so cutthroat in my deleting. Just my preference. If you post was simply an image in a thread then the remaining text will read - view attachment #### - with our being anything to view or link to.
If you right-click, and select "view link in new tab" you don't have to leave a page.

I still hope people aren't deleting images that contribute to the value of this website. (I'll acknowledge that old sale threads might not qualify)

2) You are leaving text behind which teases without any photographic support. I've chosen not to be so cutthroat in my deleting. Just my preference. If you post was simply an image in a thread then the remaining text will read - view attachment #### - with our being anything to view or link to.
The images do not show deleted from the attachment page UNTIL you go to another page
Hit "Refresh" when you return to the attachment page.

Bob

Week 4. 😞
No updates. 😞
No clue. 🤔
John 😁
If the same guy has been trying to fix this for 4 weeks……………. You pay an IT guy to fix a website issue and he works all day and then comes back tomorrow,again and again, no luck. Hire someone else and see how he does. How many IT guys have looked at this issue? What have they said? Has the site been hacked and asked for a ransom payment to Nigeria? After an 8 hour day of looking at this issue, what would the same IT guy do the next day that he didn’t try the day before? The next day the IT guy should show up with another IT guy he has confidence in, because he can’t fix the issue,he tried for 8 hours.

If the same guy has been trying to fix this for 4 weeks……………. You pay an IT guy to fix a website issue and he works all day and then comes back tomorrow,again and again, no luck. Hire someone else and see how he does. How many IT guys have looked at this issue? What have they said? Has the site been hacked and asked for a ransom payment to Nigeria? After an 8 hour day of looking at this issue, what would the same IT guy do the next day that he didn’t try the day before? The next day the IT guy should show up with another IT guy he has confidence in, because he can’t fix the issue,he tried for 8 hours.
That reads like you think something is broken. This is the result of a setting change - basically, enforcing the previously established limits after a few years without regulation. The "updates" mentioned in the post you quoted referred to the admin looking into other storage options & possibly changes in allotments/membership options.

That reads like you think something is broken. This is the result of a setting change - basically, enforcing the previously established limits after a few years without regulation. The "updates" mentioned in the post you quoted referred to the admin looking into other storage options & possibly changes in allotments/membership options.
Well it shouldn’t read like something is broken. I was thinking of times when on my job for Xerox and I encountered a software or firmware issue I would consult with a colleague and often return the next day to fix the issue with assistance from someone more knowledgeable in this area or expertise. I think the numeric value needs to be correct on each end for member/forum tasks to correlate into what the program was set to deliver. No broken gear or drive belt here. This is corrupted firmware or malware or software related.

For those wanting updates, we have a timeframe for new servers and migration to hopefully take place in the near future. Past that, there will still be a quota system in place and if you are way over your image limits you'll need to find alternative image hosting. New servers should allow increased quotas but will not be unlimited.

For those wanting updates, we have a timeframe for new servers and migration to hopefully take place in the near future. Past that, there will still be a quota system in place and if you are way over your image limits you'll need to find alternative image hosting. New servers should allow increased quotas but will not be unlimited.
With your broad statement on “way over “ and “increased quotas” are there going to be exact numbers?? 🤔
John 😁

There have been 2 issues lately that seem somewhat connected and maybe there is a way to help solve both issues with a little tweaking of the rules.
One issue is the attachment quota, and the other is whether or not to delete old or inactive threads.
It seems that the consensus is not to delete old or inactive threads so that useful or historical data and photos are preserved.

What if only threads in certain areas of the forum were allowed to host pictures on the forum server (all others must be hosted externally) and likewise only threads in certain forum areas were to be preserved and not subject to being deleted when old or inactive?

Let's face it, NOT every thread has educational or historical importance.
Pictures of knives in your car or on your hat, in your cup or with your watch, while great fun, should probably be hosted externally, freeing up server resources.
Additionally, those pictures and threads probably don't need to be saved for posterity, also freeing up server resources that we all share, and some of us pay for.

Perhaps some photos and threads in certain forum areas SHOULD be saved (with photos on hosted on forum servers) so that they can be preserved and used in the future for information/education, but honestly there are plenty posted every day that are just for fun and frankly repetitive.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back