Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click on your user name at the right side of the top banner. Then click attachments. Scroll to the bottom of the screen that comes up and in the bottom right hand corner it will show you how many attachments you have.
Thanks, I found it before I saw your post and edited mine above.

I still don't think any sort of hard limit is sustainable, even if mine reset today I'd be in the same situation a few years down the road.. forced to choose to save historical posts or delete in favor of new. I could see some sort of per year cap working, but any sort of hard limit per member is going to inevitably put us back here down the road.

I am having general trouble navigating the site. I created an account and uploaded a photo. It tells me it is hidden. When I click on community, nothing happens. If I go to my account the image does not show up until I click all. Even though it is hidden, it does not show up when I hit hidden. I clicked on Help at the bottom of the page, it didn't help and I can't get back to the home page or my account.
I did grab a link and paste into a post on BF, but it did not come out as a full screen photo, it was in the imgur box, which i don't like.
Sorry for rambling, just frustrated right now.

Yes, that's generally how it works. Your own photos weren't always hidden when viewing your own account, but the site must have updated and that bug has now become a feature for now.

You won't see your pics in the community area, unless you view them in the "newest" and "user submitted" areas. The "community" works by other imgur users giving positive feedback (voting up or down) on posted images. Only the most highly upvoted pics make it to the "most viral" page. Lots of funny and silly pics/memes/gifs/videos are posted, along with lots of political and other nonsense that could be expected from general use on the internet. You get the good with the bad.

I am having general trouble navigating the site. I created an account and uploaded a photo. It tells me it is hidden. When I click on community, nothing happens. If I go to my account the image does not show up until I click all. Even though it is hidden, it does not show up when I hit hidden. I clicked on Help at the bottom of the page, it didn't help and I can't get back to the home page or my account.
I did grab a link and paste into a post on BF, but it did not come out as a full screen photo, it was in the imgur box, which i don't like.
Sorry for rambling, just frustrated right now.

I don’t know if this will be a sufficient explanation, but the best way I’ve found to use Imgur from my phone is to keep it open in a tab and use the desktop version of the site. Go to Imgur, log in, go to the options in your browser where you can choose to view desktop site, then go to https://yourusername.imgur.com/all (obviously replace the yourusername with your Imgur username). If you’re doing that, you can see all your images in one grid (and multiple pages of course once you have enough). Should look like this:

Wak3j70.png

From there you can click any photo and it gives you several options for sharing.

de3OVRz.png

I use the Direct Link one and post it in this box:

jsH3gyr.jpg

…but you can also just copy the BB Code link (with the tags) and post that right in the text box. Either of those methods of posting the linked image to the forum will get rid of that Imgur box around your pic that you were asking about.

It used to be easier to post new images directly on that desktop Imgur page, but they recently changed it so it redirects you to a different page to post, but once you’ve posted a pic, you can go back to https://yourusername.imgur.com/all (keep it bookmarked) and then get the link from there.

Sorry if it’s a bit complicated, I’ve always just used Imgur and maybe I’ve just gotten used to it. Anyways, hope that helps.

Last edited:
You won't see your pics in the community area, unless you view them in the "newest" and "user submitted" areas. The "community" works by other imgur users giving positive feedback (voting up or down) on posted images. Only the most highly upvoted pics make it to the "most viral" page. Lots of funny and silly pics/memes/gifs/videos are posted, along with lots of political and other nonsense that could be expected from general use on the internet. You get the good with the bad.

If you post all your images as private and go to view your own images as I described above, you literally never have to see anything else anyone posts on Imgur. I use the site every day and I never see any of that.

I still don't think any sort of hard limit is sustainable, even if mine reset today I'd be in the same situation a few years down the road.. forced to choose to save historical posts or delete in favor of new. I could see some sort of per year cap working, but any sort of hard limit per member is going to inevitably put us back here down the road.
With the gold membership it's 500 images. So ok, 500 a year. No it's just 500 total, forever, because Ive recently renewed and certainly haven't posted more than 500 photos since the middle of January. So... how would that ever work?

Maybe just delete my account every year when the subscription runs out and make a new one to renew the attachment allotment. Loosing the feedback score would be a negative to doing that, though.

I know there are many here whose opinion matters more than mine. I lurked here because all of my research led me here. I joined because I eventually had a question I couldn't find the answer to and I knew from previous research that there is no better community, no better knowledge base, than what we have here. I stayed because I enjoy the people I interact with, I learn something new everyday, and a big part of that is pictures of knives that can't be found anywhere else in the world. This is truly a special place...

What worries me is preserving the historical significance of this site and I'm not sure how best to do that in the very long term. Look what happened to old catalogues, companies, and employees. We're left trying to piece things together, at best guessing at the truth.

I understand the limitations of server space. And all companies deal with this in different ways. Some require fees and implement a threshold. Others silently delete photos without consent based on some heuristic or algorithm.

Silent deletion is obviously a problem. But, that's mostly an issue with "free" hosting sites.

Any hosting on a third party site is dangerous as companies go out of business all the time. There will be a day where YouTube disappears. And while many videos will be migrated by end users to some new site, much will be lost. And despite some of the garbage on YouTube, it will be a sad day.

The best place to host the photos for these forums is the forum itself. No point in having the photos for the forums if the forums are no longer around. But, if we host images on the forums, they will be around as long as the forums are.

Fees that scale with storage space required isn't an issue except that fees can become prohibitively expensive and often times if the membership lapses the photos cannot be viewed and eventually must be purged. The fees aren't being paid afterall. None of us are getting younger and do we expect our children's children to pay image hosting fees for a site they never used? It's a truly difficult (impossible) problem to solve and I am sorry Spark Spark has been put in this situation.

This community means a lot to a lot of people. And, it's in all of our best interests to work together.

We've burned through 85gb of additional storage in 8 months, and have almost a half terabyte in image attachments alone. When the search goes down, often it's because we've run out of disk space due to the attachments eating up the drives. That's not sustainable.

A whole .5 Tb? Am I missing something here? Wouldn’t all the gold and platinum memberships buy a bunch of these:

Maybe it works differently than how I’m thinking, but that doesn’t seem like a whole lot of space.

Ouch. Not good. 😟

I don’t see free 3rd party hosting as an option either. It’s only a matter of time before they go Photofuckit and either shut down or start charging. Imgur has indicated as much.

I don’t have any advice. It’s a shit situation no matter how we move forward.

A whole .5 Tb? Am I missing something here? Wouldn’t all the gold and platinum memberships would buy a bunch of these:

Maybe it works differently than how I’m thinking, but that doesn’t seem like a whole lot of space.
Yeah Will, server storage is not the same thing. I don’t know all the why behind it, but it’s much, much more expensive.

FWIW, images that you don't care about, I find imgbb dot com to be easiest to use. Just upload all your photos for a post and select the "BBCode full linked" option in the drop down. Click the copy button and you can paste all of your uploaded images directly in your post with essentially one click.

I don’t know if this will be a sufficient explanation, but the best way I’ve found to use Imgur from my phone is to keep it open in a tab and use the desktop version of the site. Go to Imgur, log in, go to the options in your browser where you can choose to view desktop site, then go to https://yourusername.imgur.com/all (obviously replace the yourusername with your Imgur username). If you’re doing that, you can see all your images in one grid (and multiple pages of course once you have enough). Should look like this:

Wak3j70.png

From there you can click any photo and it gives you several options for sharing.

de3OVRz.png

I use the Direct Link one and post it in this box:

jsH3gyr.jpg

…but you can also just copy the BB Code link (with the tags) and post that right in the text box. Either of those methods of posting the linked image to the forum will get rid of that Imgur box around your pic that you were asking about.

It used to be easier to post new images directly on that desktop Imgur page, but they recently changed it so it redirects you to a different page to post, but once you’ve posted a pic, you can go back to https://yourusername.imgur.com/all (keep it bookmarked) and then get the link from there.

Sorry if it’s a bit complicated, I’ve always just used Imgur and maybe I’ve just gotten used to it. Anyways, hope that helps.
That was helpful. However, I do not use my phone for anything like this. I like my desktop. When I try to post using a direct link I get a message from Firefox saying that the image cannot be opened. Anyway, I will keep experimenting as I will have to get used to doing things this way.
Thanks

That was helpful. However, I do not use my phone for anything like this. I like my desktop. When I try to post using a direct link I get a message from Firefox saying that the image cannot be opened. Anyway, I will keep experimenting as I will have to get used to doing things this way.
Thanks

Gotcha. Most of that should still be applicable using a desktop (particularly because I’m using the desktop version of Imgur’s site). A direct link will have to be inserted into your post using the little image icon at the top of the text box, otherwise you could try the BB Code link, which you can paste directly in your post.

Thanks
Don't use the direct link. Copy the BB Code and paste that right into the text box. The image will show up if you preview to check and will display fine when you post. I don't use my phone either--I like my laptop for posting.

Wow. Not sure what to say, except that I thought a part of my paid membership allowed me to upload a few pics per day. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation.

I also use a photo hosting site (Imageshack) extensively for many things I post on here. They don't "slam me with ads" at all - in fact I see zero ads (thank you, AdBlock). And at most I maybe have one or two outages a year with them. But there is certain content - particularly firearms-related, that I don't want to host on a 3rd part site, and so I direct upload those. I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Okay, I've deleted as many as I can...but I've got 2 pages worth that are beyond my reach. The threads containing the rest have been locked or removed.

45 / 500 (9%)
9 / 200 MB (4%)

If I'm going to start over, though, I'd prefer to start with a clean slate.

Last edited:
I don’t see free 3rd party hosting as an option either. It’s only a matter of time before they go Photofuckit and either shut down or start charging. Imgur has indicated as much.
Right. That's part of the reason I started attaching images here...I had been going back periodically and removing the IMG codes, leaving the links to the images on imgur for anybody that wanted to click them. That got old after a few months of doing it, and I stopped.

I still dislike the imgur app, and I don't really want to go back to taking all my pictures with my dslr. Guess I'll just attach images for my occasional ads & delete them after a few weeks.

The pictures I did delete were ones that have no relevance at this point. Knives I no longer own, or stuff I posted in W&C that didn't age well. From 2017-2021 I used imgur as direct upload had stopped working for me, even with my shiny platinum member. While it adds a bit of tedium to posting pics, I can live with it.

To be honest, I don't have a platinum member because of the perks, but because it is a small price to pay to support a tremendously wonderful forum. Most of the people here are A1.

It's just that sudden unannounced changes are particularly irksome to my ADHD addled brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back