UltraLight EDC - new knife design

I like the all carbon fiber idea, may be with a thin pinstripe of red carbon fiber sandwiched in,

also just a thought you could wave a carbon fiber edge along the blade to create nice effect, although not sure what this would do for performance at this interface.

Well, I'll be...I just prepped a piece of steel (recycled file) last night to give this exact idea a try...I'm planning on laminating it up this weekend.

Very cool. Looks like your steel is much thinner than what I'm using tho...

I like the all carbon fiber idea, may be with a thin pinstripe of red carbon fiber sandwiched in,

also just a thought you could wave a carbon fiber edge along the blade to create nice effect, although not sure what this would do for performance at this interface.

Carbon Fiber is only available in black. The other colors are typically fiberglass, although they are often refered to as "colored carbon fiber".

I really like the design and execution of it. I think a high quality stainless would be better for EDC, but there isn't much else I would change. I can't wait until your work these out and start selling them.

change the orange to blue and you could probably attract some LEO witha 'thin blue line' knife

Thinblueline.PNG

Now thats a neato idea Dan. Any idea how much abuse the laminations on the blade can take?

you'll get your wish, thunder23js. Keep your eyes peeled on this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492947

Andy - I'm just going to wait and see what happens in the passaround thread above. That's why I wanted a passaround...real world testing, by people who have very little to lose....and I have everything to gain. ;)

That said....this is NOT intended for prying. This kind of knife is for light utility and self-defense. :thumbup:

Have a longer blade Dan, say about 4-5 in, and also how well will fibermascus stand up to cutting tasks?

possible to have a guesstimate of the approximate price range...:D

Good general design - it definitely shows some Krein DNA.

The steel/composite interface is definitely going to make or break the concept. If the composite interface starts to fray within, say, 10,000 cuts I think it's not viable. One possible modification if this is a problem - design the blade with something like a blood groove, and fill the groove with the composite, such that the composite lies inside the angle defined by the edge, and there is no lip to catch on the material being cut. (if you can't figure that out from my poor description, email me and I'll send you a pic). Anyway, the composite-filled groove adds lateral strength and still lets you use thinner steel. You may have to pre-grind before bonding - taper towards the spine while leaving the edge a bit thicker.

More awesome stuff coming out of your brain, Dan. Sad I missed the passaround. :(

Love the whole look and design of the knife.If the performance test out and you can bring it in for under $200 I'm in

Make it before someone else does. Make the first pieces in the carbon fiber look. Add color and changes as you go. Do it NOW !
This could lead to a line of knives with dirrerent core materials. You must make a profit but start with the small units to get these in the hands of users.

Luck is the result of superior planning.

jUST FOUND THIS THREAD, WOW
very nice
I will have to get one of those. can you take the same cocept and material and maks a tusk

Quite innovative! I'd think that it would be a really popular design among ultralight folks. (like myself) Now how much cash would I have to dish out in order to get one of these blades?.....

Back