Victorinox Rambler Thread

BMCGear

Gold Member
I've had a classic before and it was a handy little tool and I recently bought a mini champ because I wanted that awesome little phillip's head but the Mini Champ and a few too many tools for me. I had stayed away from the Rambler because I couldn't find an Alox version. Well, I finally took the plunge and I have to say this little fellow is exactly what I was looking for!

Do you have a Rambler? Post and talk about it here!

IMG_20160406_075637_zpsrnmyvjag.jpg

My story is similar to yours. Grew up with classics on every keychain. Switched to the rally a few years ago for the caplifter/Phillips, then went back to the classic because I missed the scissors. After all that I picked up an Alox minichamp because I thought it would hit all the buttons, but found that I missed the T&T and didn't use many of the tools. Then, a couple weeks ago I found a great deal on the rambler and I haven't looked back. It has everything I want and nothing I don't. It even has the blade on the usable end of the knife! Love my rambler!

The Rambler looks great. It has the cap lifter/phillips screw driver/wire stripper and scissors from the Jetsetter, plus the knife blade and file/flathead from the classic SD. What's not to love? I just wish they made the Alox version these days.

LOVE my Rambler ...

I drink a fair bit of good beer, so the caplifter comes in mighty handy. :thumbup: And, having three little kids, I find I use the little phillips screwdriver tip a lot replacing batteries on their toys. It also comes in handy for opening up my harmonicas when I need to tune a reed or tweak the action.

While I am a die hard classic fan, I applaud any of the 58mm's as a great edc pocket/keyring tool. The 58's are the unsung and under appreciated SAK's. :thumbup:

My only use ever for Classics has been as gifts to non-knifey friends who would nevertheless appreciate having these tools at hand, and maybe get them interested in the subject (some got hooked, came over to the sharp side :D.)

A fair number of SAKs are basically up to my needs, but some have design features I put up with for the sake of the whole. All SAKs are well made. A few are perfect; wouldn't change a thing. The Rambler is one of them, for decades my "5th pocket" SAK. The increase in size and weight over the Classic is trivial, and for that you get the best 58mm SAK of them all, including alox versions, truly everything you need in this form factor, as Toddwalla discovered, and nothing you don't. That's based on trying a lot of alternatives before coming to this conclusion.* I know you can open a bottle with the classic screwdriver, done it a couple of times myself and find it a kludge. Also, the small screwdriver tip is often too large or too small for proper screwing. The Rambler magnetized #1 ph driver/bottle opener works better and both functions are so much more elegant than the make-do you get with the lesser SAK. My best advice would be to get one. You won't regret it.

*Actually, I knew from the start, but after all, I am a knifeknut, and need my fun ;) .

Just saw this last night. It also works with the Manager, but unfortunately not with the Rally:

[youtube]ETiBAxibO28[/youtube]

Ramblers are nice but I can't see the large price increase over the Classic for one extra tool. The cost/benefit just isn't there for me. :thumbdn:

Used the blade tonight to cut a card board box open. I was surprised how well the little blade cut through thick cardboard with ease.

Ramblers are nice but I can't see the large price increase over the Classic for one extra tool. The cost/benefit just isn't there for me. :thumbdn:

Yeah, that's a rub. I wouldn't mind paying a few more bucks or five, but more than double the price is too steep for the extra tool that I get by nicely without. I can get new classics all day from Amazon at 8 to ten dollars, while the ramblers are 20 to 22. Just too much for one little tool. With soooo many ways to open a beer, a dedicated bottle opener is not really needed. The little magnetized phillips is nice but not worth it to me to double the price of the knife.

But YMMV.

Yeah, that's a rub. I wouldn't mind paying a few more bucks or five, but more than double the price is too steep for the extra tool that I get by nicely without. I can get new classics all day from Amazon at 8 to ten dollars, while the ramblers are 20 to 22. Just too much for one little tool. With soooo many ways to open a beer, a dedicated bottle opener is not really needed. The little magnetized phillips is nice but not worth it to me to double the price of the knife.

But YMMV.

My M did vary. Got my Rambler for $13 at a post season clearance sale some years ago. At the time, Classics were selling for $8 - 10. I did nab another one for a spare and hope never to use it. Honestly, I don't know if I would pay $20 plus dollars for another, but there are used available for the right price if you're patient. Sometimes even new ones.

But YMMV.

Carrying the classic doesn't really offer me as much utility as the Rambler. I would like to pay less for all of my knives but the total package is worth the cost to me. Mine was $7.00 more than a classic so it's not quite as drastic as double the price.

I replaced the classic on my keyring for a rambler about a month ago, mainly because the scissors and blade both come out the opposite side of the ring.

Love my Rambler, even over the Classic. I prefer the location of the blade and keyring attachment of the Rambler over the Classic. The added tools are a bonus.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I replaced the classic on my keyring for a rambler about a month ago, mainly because the scissors and blade both come out the opposite side of the ring.

Love my Rambler, even over the Classic. I prefer the location of the blade and keyring attachment of the Rambler over the Classic. The added tools are a bonus.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Me three :thumbup: .

To my considerable surprise, the Rambler ph driver did as well on those tiny screw heads as the dedicated one on the Charge, maybe better.
And, the Rambler is a bit lighter in weight, another reason to have one on hand ;) .

Back