Victorinox Rambler Thread

A big fan of all the 58MM SAKs. Particularly the larger ones.

Have you guys heard of the Vagabond? It is in between the Rambler and MiniChamp II. it doesn't have the useless (to me) cuticle pusher and little ruler. In my opinion it's the perfect keychain knife. Especially since I put some Stay-Glo scales on it! My second favorite is the original 7 blades MiniChamp!

I've always been a SAK aficionado, and have a Pioneer X in my pocket right now. My first pocketknife was a dollar-store Classic clone, and I used that thing until my parents finally bought me a Handyman. I've carried SAKs all my life. So forgive me for the sacrilege.

I just can't see the appeal of the Rambler or Minichamp or what have you, when the likes of Leatherman and Gerber have similarly sized tools with at least as many features. The recently retired Style had an identical toolset to the Classic, but with modern materials; for not much more in price you can have pliers and screwdrivers of useful sizes, in useful blade steels, without sacrificing a ton of physical volume for the sake of a plastic toothpick. (Most of them still have the tweezers.)

I'd rather have a full-sized metal file than a cuticle pusher / pill spatula, thanks.

I've always been a SAK aficionado, and have a Pioneer X in my pocket right now. My first pocketknife was a dollar-store Classic clone, and I used that thing until my parents finally bought me a Handyman. I've carried SAKs all my life. So forgive me for the sacrilege.

I just can't see the appeal of the Rambler or Minichamp or what have you, when the likes of Leatherman and Gerber have similarly sized tools with at least as many features. The recently retired Style had an identical toolset to the Classic, but with modern materials; for not much more in price you can have pliers and screwdrivers of useful sizes, in useful blade steels, without sacrificing a ton of physical volume for the sake of a plastic toothpick. (Most of them still have the tweezers.)

I'd rather have a full-sized metal file than a cuticle pusher / pill spatula, thanks.

I'm curious as to what makes you say the Leatherman/Gerber keychain tools have more modern materials and useful blade steels? Leatherman's 420HC and Gerber's undisclosed steel are both inferior to Victorinox in my experiences. If you're referring to aluminum, the Alox rambler or Minichamp are both even thinner and do not waste "a ton of physical volume for the sake of a toothpick".

Also, are the pliers or tiny file on the Squirt really that useful? I would agree the Juice series is much more capable than the 58mm knives but the Squirt/Dime keychain tools are heavier, thicker and more cumbersome on the keychain for not much more utility IMO.

interested to hear your thoughts! :)

I'm curious as to what makes you say the Leatherman/Gerber keychain tools have more modern materials and useful blade steels? Leatherman's 420HC and Gerber's undisclosed steel are both inferior to Victorinox in my experiences. If you're referring to aluminum, the Alox rambler or Minichamp are both even thinner and do not waste "a ton of physical volume for the sake of a toothpick".

Also, are the pliers or tiny file on the Squirt really that useful? I would agree the Juice series is much more capable than the 58mm knives but the Squirt/Dime keychain tools are heavier, thicker and more cumbersome on the keychain for not much more utility IMO.

I can see Nap's point about the small Leatherman tools. I love Victorinox, and I love the classic, but in spite of over a 20 year love affair with it, I have to admit that for size to size, the Leatheman tools are more capable. I can blame forum member Pinnah for my conversion to the dark side, but after our many "disagreements" he sent me a micra, and my world has never been the same.

To be fair to Dave, I did give the leatheman micra a fair trial, and I threw a lot of stuff at it. It came up grinning. It's just a tad larger than the classic, but offers a better tool set, and more rugged build so it can be leaned on a bit in an emergency. Then I tried the squirt, and I was a true convert to the small Leatherman cause. I still love my little classic, but so often it gets replaced or augmented with the squirt.

The blade steel is the same 420HC that Buck uses as well as Gerber. There is no secret about 420HC, and it's a good steel. As good as the SAK steel. The small pliers and scissors do work well, and I've used the heck out of my suit this past several months of moving to Texas. Packing up and boxing at one end, and unpacking andsettiing up at the other end. Much of the setting up involved re-assembling stuff Ihad taken down for boxing. Dealing with screws, small nuts and bolts. The tools on the micra and squirt took on a lot of tasks, and never came up short. I've put some abuse on the little pliers, thinking with the Leatherman warrantee that if it broke, I;d just send it in to Leatherman. They haven't broke, but have done very well.

The Leatherman scissors on the micra are heavier duty than the scissors on my little 58mm classic, but not quite as "surgically fine" for some things. The scissors on the squirt though do come awfully close to the SAK scissors. JUst a tad off near the tip for fine cuticle use. The file on the squirt has both a fine side and a courser side, and I have used the file and it works good on sheet metal and burrs on the backside of drilled holes in metal brackets. Pretty good file.

Both the knife blades on the Leatherman tools are chisel ground, and that may not be a bad thing for rough use. Easy and fast to touch up on a variety of material including smooth patio paving blocks, and the inside edge of a toilet tank top. The squirt does not have the nice lithe rweezers that the SAK does, but the micra has some very nice tweezers that work well on ticks, splinters, and cactus spines. And being permanently attached to the tool, the Leatherman tweezers don't go missing.
15942467949_e227b2eeae_c.jpg

Here is a size comparison. The micra is so little bit bigger that it's negligible. I do love the classic, but if I were to need more tool, then I would not bother with the fatter 58mm's but go right to the small Leatherman.
15942786367_589c85473d_c.jpg

The Leatherman scissors while not quite as good as the Vic's for trimming nose hairs or use in surgery, do offer a more robust scissors for rougher materials like canvas or light plastic, or even light wire cutting if you open the scissors all the way and put the coper wire all the way back near the scissors pivot. You won't go cutting your way through barbed wire, but it will handle light fine copper wire with no damage.
15413275404_5712868844_c.jpg

The squirt is actually a little shorter is size than the micra, but a little chunkier. Better in a side pocket than kerning. Makes a good edc pocket knife.
16486807626_582c671342_c.jpg

Another thing the Leatherman micra has going for it, with the blade out, you can fold up the handles and in effect you now have a blade that is not able to fold over on you. Sort of a back door lock. I'm not sure what this is good for, but there it is.
17650336203_c160436365_c.jpg

I love the little Vic classic, it's cheap, easy to find at low prices, and light weight on the eyeing. But if I need more tool, I go for a small Leatherman. Much more capability there. I've handled loose bolts and nuts up to 3/8 with the pliers on the squirt, as well as the hex nuts that secure the rear view mirrors on a Vespa GT200. They also give light wire cutting capability. These are real tools that have real function.
16325077758_d67954e04e_c.jpg

Last edited:

Sure! I actually do have gripping issues with my hands that make a plier tool, even a small one, useful. I don't think there is an alox Rambler, but that would be ever-so-slightly more useful to me. I know there's an alox Minichamp out there, but again, that has... just so many useless tools.

420HC is normally heat treated to at least 58 HRC, whereas the Victorinox mystery steel usually tests to around 54 HRC. Admittedly, this is second-hand testing, but it's definitely a soft steel. The most practical consideration for my personal EDC, though, is using thin slabs of aluminum over thick chunks of celidor for their handle scales. Pocket space is everything in a tool like this.

When I talk about the file, I'm actually talking about the file on the Gerber Dime Travel (which has a kick-ass file in place of a blade), and yeah, it definitely does more than any tiny blade would. (I carry a full-size blade anyway, so that's not a big deal.)

The Micra feels like a mini brick in my pocket. The Rambler/Classic is unnoticeable. I choose the Rambler over the Classic due to the orientation of the blade vs the lanyard attachment location. The additional tools are just icing on the cake.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Micra feels like a mini brick in my pocket. The Rambler/Classic is unnoticeable. I choose the Rambler over the Classic due to the orientation of the blade vs the lanyard attachment location. The additional tools are just icing on the cake.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One of the knocks I have on the Micra is too many sharp edges. My solution has been to carry it in a leather slip Leatherman used to provide for it. Works great. It's a personal call, but I don't mind the weight, hardly noticeable in 5th pocket carry.

This thread wasn't started to compare "better" options to the rambler. It was started as an appreciation thread for a handly little keychain knife.

The Rambler has the tools I like in a keychain knife. For me it is the Goldie Locks between the Mini-champ and Classic.

My favorite little SAK is the Manager I believe. Basically a Rambler with a pen in one scale. I broke the blade off and it lives on my keys, without fear of confiscation at courthouses or gov. buildings.
Even Mr. Bean has one!
He used it in Mr. Beans Vacation, to write down potential phone numbers in his notepad. Mine has saved the day a few times for the pen alone, even though I almost always have writing instruments on me.

Connor

Rambler fans will enjoy this video by Zelrick.

[video=youtube;TGKwYBgk5aE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGKwYBgk5aE[/video]

Sadly, I lost my Rambler. :(

Went to the hardware store yesterday and they were having a sell on Classics (no Ramblers in stock) so I now carry a classic. We'll see if I miss the extra tool on the Rambler and go back to it.

The Rambler is a great 58 mm SAK. It actually is my favorite by far.

I was with my Classics for a long time on the keychain. But I always missed a bottle opener tool. So I went to the Minichamp. But it was a little too wide. So I decided to go with a Rambler. Bought one. But it never went on my keychain. I use to carry it in my pocket mostly to fill the gap of a scissor-less SAK and a larger tool.

I have a Classic SD which I keep in a mini first aid kit. I had bought a Rambler to carry because of the in-line Phillips and because the blade hinges opposite from the split-ring. Shortly after I got it my wife was going to be out of town for a few days so I "loaned" it to her for the convenience of having the various tools when away from home base.

Short version - that was a couple of years ago and the loan has become permanent. She now has both the Rambler and her (formerly my) Alox Electrician.

I replaced the Rambler with an Alox Mini Champ which is on my key ring now. While I like the Alox scales better, I am not sure if the extra tools that I never need make up for the loss of the little tweezers and toothpick.

My only gripe with the Rambler is that they are double the price of a Classic SD - $24 vs $12 if buying new. Seems a lot for just the single additional tool.

Last edited:
The Rambler is a great 58 mm SAK. It actually is my favorite by far.

I was with my Classics for a long time on the keychain. But I always missed a bottle opener tool.

Same here. :thumbup: Love having a bottle opener handy (not so crucial in the U.S. where most beers are twist-off). And with three kids, there are always batteries to replace in their toys, and the little phillips-head screw driver is really handy for that. Words great on harmonicas as well.

My only gripe with the Rambler is that they are double the price of a Classic SD - $24 vs $12 if buying new. Seems a lot for just the single additional tool.

With careful shopping that gap might be shortened. Mine came $3 more than Classics at the time, but that was a while ago. However, I look at it this way; in my entire adult life, I have never lost a SAK of any size, and I hold on to them for years. If you can afford a Classic, you can also afford a Rambler. Even if the Rambler costs twice the price of a Classic, we're looking at that additional $12 amortized over years. It's not that you buy one every week. By year 5, a $24 SAK would have cost less than $5 a year to own. Why make do with a flawed product when you could have the right one for so little more?

If you can afford a Classic, you can also afford a Rambler. Even if the Rambler costs twice the price of a Classic, we're looking at that additional $12 amortized over years. It's not that you buy one every week. By year 5, a $24 SAK would have cost less than $5 a year to own. Why make do with a flawed product when you could have the right one for so little more?

Agreed. :thumbup: Great minds think alike. :)

Same here. :thumbup: Love having a bottle opener handy (not so crucial in the U.S. where most beers are twist-off). And with three kids, there are always batteries to replace in their toys, and the little phillips-head screw driver is really handy for that. Words great on harmonicas as well.

Not my beer. Regular caps, needing an opener. Sometimes even if I have a dedicated cap lifter handy, I'll use the little one on the Rambler just because. I just love that little SAK. Clipped to a Photon Freedom micro light, it makes a great 5th pocket companion.

...Why make do with a flawed product when you could have the right one for so little more?

No doubt the Rambler is a fine knife/multitool and I can see why some prefer it but I can't say as I agree that the Classic is "flawed." If you're referring to the location of the key ring that some don't like, one explanation I've heard is that Vic located it on the opposite end of the tool that's used the most. On the Classic it's opposite the scissors. In my case (and I suspect in a lot of others) the scissors are used far more than the knife blade making the keyring on the correct end for me/us.

Our fellow forumite, jackknife, has posted Victorinox production figures in another post. IIRC, he said Vic produces some 9 million Classics per year making it the best selling knife of all time and by a wide margin. Lots of folks think the Classic is just fine. :thumbup:

No doubt the Rambler is a fine knife/multitool and I can see why some prefer it but I can't say as I agree that the Classic is "flawed." If you're referring to the location of the key ring that some don't like, one explanation I've heard is that Vic located it on the opposite end of the tool that's used the most. On the Classic it's opposite the scissors. In my case (and I suspect in a lot of others) the scissors are used far more than the knife blade making the keyring on the correct end for me/us.

Our fellow forumite, jackknife, has posted Victorinox production figures in another post. IIRC, he said Vic produces some 9 million Classics per year making it the best selling knife of all time and by a wide margin. Lots of folks think the Classic is just fine. :thumbup:

Well, maybe flawed is not the best way to describe the Classic, but a keyring on the scissors side are less of an annoyance than by the knife blade. But Classics are still handy little things. For a guy who doesn't care that much for them, I have given out a fair number of Classics as gifts to friends and relatives who I felt needed a pocket knife in their daily lives -- call me Johnny Classicseed. They are an inexpensive gateway SAK, and a number of the recipients responded well. The most enthusiastic of them has been the teenage daughter of a friend who became a SAK enthusiast. Now she's packing an Explorer. I feel my work there is done. BTW, she still carries the Classic for discrete occasions.

Well, maybe flawed is not the best way to describe the Classic, but a keyring on the scissors side are less of an annoyance than by the knife blade. But Classics are still handy little things. For a guy who doesn't care that much for them, I have given out a fair number of Classics as gifts to friends and relatives who I felt needed a pocket knife in their daily lives -- call me Johnny Classicseed. They are an inexpensive gateway SAK, and a number of the recipients responded well. The most enthusiastic of them has been the teenage daughter of a friend who became a SAK enthusiast. Now she's packing an Explorer. I feel my work there is done. BTW, she still carries the Classic for discrete occasions.

Kudos to you, znapschat. That's the best way to get people to understand that these are useful tools rather than "deadly weapons".

Your motto should be, "Converting sheeple one at a time". Well done! :D

Last edited:
Back