Walking stick / hiking stick / hiking staff - What do you use?

(Around the farm I use one that I made from an oak sapling that I had to cut down because it was growing under a power line.)

Ooh, you missed an opportunity there. Wizards love lightning-touched oak for staves, so a nice dose of electricity and you could have opened up a side business. Gandalf R Us? Dresden Fire Sales, we stick 'em, you burn 'em?

I’m in the market for trekking poles. Last summer I got to trail where it would have definitely helped having a pair. I really like the idea of solid stick but collapsible sounds better for travel and pair seems to be the overall preferred way to go.
My wife and I got a pair of collapsable treking poles and split them between us, so we each have a "walking stick". We do find them handy for traveling.

The pole is assembled out of hollow segments which fit snugly together end-to-end and which you can customize for length and whether or not it has a spear. The spear segment comes with a hollow tube segment that covers the spear like a sleeve and has a solid tip for hiking. To expose the spear, you just pull the hollow tube off the end, unlike other brands where you have to waste time unscrewing a segment. A little wd40 helps.

Do you carry a knife when hiking? That is a weapon. This is not a weapon, as I mentioned it is made of aluminum and is not sharpened like a knife.
Interesting. Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate the explanation. Thanks!

Umm... I know that some folks consider a folding knife with a 3" - 3 1/2" blade to be a "weapon". I kind of don't. I have larger knives, I don't usually carry them, unless I have somespecific need in mind.

I like using a walking stick/staff. Adds stability. And I have an issue with my hip. Normally it's fine, but occasionally it hangs up until I turn it exactly so. The stick gives reassurance in such situations.

I have one of those folding rods. It's handy for traveling.
MBm3Zeg.jpg

But I prefer wood.
hxzstNJ.jpg

The bamboo pole has the advantage in weight. The walking stick is oak. It's heavier, but more satisfying to hold in my hand. So the bamboo gets used for longer treks and the oak gets used on my evening stroll through the neighborhood.

Anyone else use a walking / hiking stick?

Oh man, I ALWAYS have a walking stick when outdoors. I've been cutting, drying, staining, and sanding them for years. I'll snap a pic of a few when I get home.

I use a walking stick. Bought one from cold steel called the walkabout. The bottom was a bit slippery as it is some kind of plastic composite so I installed a threaded insert to attach different tripod feet. ( I have quite a few different tripod feet)
Turned out great for my uses and not too worried about the coyotes anymore when I take my dog out late.
IMG_1640frm.jpgIMG_1641frm.jpg

So, is that a "yes" that you have one of those spear type poles? Do you hike with the spear tip fixed in position? If not, how long does it take to convert from a pole to a spear? I'm really not interested in carrying a weapon. But I am curious as to how that setup would actually work in practice.

In just the local area we have bobcats and coyotes. Farther out there are occasional puma. I've had encounters with both bobcats and coyotes. Hasn't been a problem. (The bobcat just moved off the trail a ways and watched me pass. The coyotes took one look at me, then vanished into the brush.) In puma country, you need to watch your six, be aware of anything overhanging the trail, and try to look large. They are ambush predators.

For weight bamboo is hard to beat. It has an excellent strength to weight ratio. So it satisfies aesthetic and pragmatic needs all in one.
You can fool a low IQ Puma by wearing a full face mask on the back of your head. It won’t be able to identify your “blind “ side. Works for Tigers too.

This is the hand carved head on an old folk art walking stick that was my Great Aunts) and possibly my Great Grandmothers), The shaft is a (Hickory?) sapling; very slim but quite sturdy. It's still strong and I used it after a knee replacement.

Cane.jpg

Sceva, that could be Michael Van Gerwen!
(The professional darts player)

I had one of those treking poles for a while but then I realized it wasn't worth carrying when you can usually find a suitable walking stick laying on the ground somewhere. I also had a fancy polished wooden walking stick for a while, but I quickly realized the bottom was getting chewed up, so what's the point of it being all fancy? It's just getting beat up and worn away the more you use it. It's better to grab something off the ground and toss it away when you're done with it. It's also 100% eco-friendly.

I actually agree with you but as I get older I can less and less afford to fall down which is why I got the titanium pole but certainly if I were younger I would (and have) done just that

I had one of those treking poles for a while but then I realized it wasn't worth carrying when you can usually find a suitable walking stick laying on the ground somewhere.
Really depends on where you're hiking. In the desert, for example, not so much.
I also had a fancy polished wooden walking stick for a while, but I quickly realized the bottom was getting chewed up, so what's the point of it being all fancy? It's just getting beat up and worn away the more you use it.
I put a rubber cane tip on the bottom of my hiking stick. They're cheap and preserve the bottom of the stick. But you're right - if you're in a place where suitable sticks about, why not just grab one, use it, and ditch it when you're done.

I had one of those treking poles for a while but then I realized it wasn't worth carrying when you can usually find a suitable walking stick laying on the ground somewhere. I also had a fancy polished wooden walking stick for a while, but I quickly realized the bottom was getting chewed up, so what's the point of it being all fancy? It's just getting beat up and worn away the more you use it. It's better to grab something off the ground and toss it away when you're done with it. It's also 100% eco-friendly.

Really depends on where you're hiking. In the desert, for example, not so much.

I put a rubber cane tip on the bottom of my hiking stick. They're cheap and preserve the bottom of the stick. But you're right - if you're in a place where suitable sticks about, why not just grab one, use it, and ditch it when you're done.
Chapparal does not offer many options for grabbing a stick off the ground either. Around here it's, "bring yer own stick or do without." But if you live in an area with options for adapting a piece of the local flora, it sounds like a good idea. It's also a chance to practice whittling.

Both my hiking and walking sticks came with rubber tips. (The walking stick even came with a spare.) Also, replacement rubber tips for canes are sold at many big box drug stores; and of course, on the web.

Back